Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Early Racing Moments in time

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CoalTownKid, Apr 23, 2009.

1. CoalTownKid

CoalTownKid

I wanted to share with those interested, vinettes into the past. A small, modest amount of a collection accumulated over a time. Insights and glimpses into the past,.... early racing on the dirt tracks of fairgrounds, raceways and board tracks and beaches.

Enjoy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. ThirdGen

ThirdGen
    from Wales, ME

those are some pretty neat pics. keep em coming if you got some more!

3. CoalTownKid

CoalTownKid

4. CoalTownKid

CoalTownKid

5. CoalTownKid

CoalTownKid

These are some unknown photos of a racer built maily of a wooden body and possibly steam powered. Seems to have wrecked at the beach. All that is known is that it was in Florida.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. CoalTownKid

CoalTownKid

Yep, that's about it for now fellas... enjoy.

7. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Nice! Thanks for the pics!

8. Florian

Florian

You just made me safe 26 pictures on my computer :D

Any more pics/ info on that one? Looks really cool :eek:

Florian

9. Ron Mayes

Ron Mayes

this is what the HAMB is all about, no air bags or layin frame shit . the best i've seen in a long time....... AWESOME :D:D:D:D:D

10. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

Those are photos of my friends uncle, Fred Marriott, wrecking at daytona, in 1907 I think. It was a Stanley steamer, and at one point was running at 197 mph. Know it sounds fantastic but that's what he told me. Fred recovered, by the way. If I got any of this wrong I know someone will correct it, this was a fairly big story at the time.

11. Coupe-De-CAB

Coupe-De-CAB
    from Nor Cal

Very cool!
    I'm diggen their football helmets with goggles:)

Thanks for sharing these nostalgic memories...awesome stuff.
    Grace and peace†
    cab

12. Bobby Green

Bobby Green

13. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

It is the Stanley Steamer. I believe you are right.

14. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

15. GARY?

GARY?

Great pics. The dog in the third pic doesn't look too happy. That Stanley Steamer is killer. Think about crashing that thing with the safety equipment they had back then.

16. CoalTownKid

CoalTownKid

Not that I know of,.... though I'm doing some research into it as I was able to contact some people who might know a little more on it though. I'll update everyone if I find out anything.
    Some of the others were from Ohio, and were noted to be along with a date of 1927. Others Ihave no idea on, though I've also got feelers in the world of historical research lending a hand in certain parts where I believe they may have been taken at.

Glad everyone is enjoying them.... feel free to visit out our hot rod club's website for more history and that of a genuine revived pre-WWII club: www.hotironclub.com

17. CoalTownKid

CoalTownKid

I've very glad you and others are enjoying them!

I'm working on a book on a few guys in our hot rodding club, its a slow go but that's pretty much my deal,... pre-1950.

Again, enjoy them fellas!;)

18. CoalTownKid

CoalTownKid

Hugh m...

emailed you.

19. CoalTownKid

CoalTownKid

Yeah the fact is, its the coolest thing,... times were simpler, people were better towards each other in many ways, and barring our medical and tech. advancements, it was a better tiem all together. Things like football helmets, yeah, it was "wear what you have" type of thing.

My thing has always been looking into the side of life where people made do with that they had, etc. Its a really fun thing to do and see how ingenious people were,.... they had to be,... nowadays we've lost a lot of the simplicity that made us who were were back in the days of old.

20. CoalTownKid

CoalTownKid

Yeah if anyone has any way to confirm this please let me know, it would be great to add to these photos. Those in particular look as if they "might" be very old re-prints,... "might be"...

21. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Go back to post 14.

22. CoalTownKid

CoalTownKid

Holy S*&$$! Bruce! Wow, that IS the same thing!!! Well, sure looks to be confirmed to me!!! Wow! Very cool. Thank you so much for the information and insight as it is very much appreciated!

23. CoalTownKid

CoalTownKid

The safety equipment on that run would have been the wonderous ability to get thrown out of it before you got tangled up in any of it, and then to gracefully smash the hell outta yourself on the semi-soft beach sand and come to a halt, most likely flat on your back wondering where the hell you were and how you got there! LOL!:eek:

24. CoalTownKid

CoalTownKid

[​IMG]

Looks like a little puppy after I scanned it in at very high resolution, actually looks like he was probably a handful, jumpin around and all. The police officer uniform dates to the late early 1920s.

25. The37Kid

The37Kid

That is the Fred Marriot Stanley wreck on Daytona Beach. The engine has been in the Smithsonian for many years, not sure if it on display or in storage. There are two or three peplicas that are up and running. Great photos, thanks for posting them!:D

26. 85-percent

85-percent

That Fred Marriot Stanley Steamer stuff is awesome. Those guys had maybe 100 mph more than everybody else of that era? True visionaries and I'm glad Fred survived that one!

I've never understood the safety part of doing speed runs on a freeking ocean beach?
    Seems overly dangerous to me?

-90% Jimmy

27. DirtyThirty

DirtyThirty
    from nowhere...

Awesome!
    Stanley Steamer, huh?
    Thought they only made vaccums...;)
    Thats REAL cool vintage stuff. Before what most folks even consider the "formative" years...wild!

28. flyin-t

flyin-t

copy of an old ad........

29. G V Gordon

G V Gordon
    from Enid OK

Daytona Beach sand is very solid, I remember dad driving the '51 Ford out on it when I was a kid.

No more crazy that a dry lakebed covered in salt!

30. flyin-t

flyin-t

Henrys driver Frank Kulick ran this T racer, 999-II, 107+ mph on the ice in 1912. Slower than the Stanley from 6 years earlier, but still pretty fast for a flat head T.