Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My latest "barn find"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by irondoctor, Apr 23, 2009.

1. irondoctor

irondoctor
    from Newton, KS

Here is my latest find a 1950 Ford woodie.
    I was tooling around the back roads and found a 1946 Plymouth coupe for sale sitting in this guys front yard. after looking it over he says "let me show you my other cars". Tucked away in his barn was a 65 Mustang fastback, 51 Ford Vicky, 40ish Plymouth sedan, and this Woodie. after a song and a dance I was hauling this jewel home, My ol man bought the Plymoth coupe. Woodie is complete with the exception of the wood and the passenger side door handle.

Also bough this 56 Ford truck with a chopped top that has been sitting in a back yard here in my home town for about 30+ years. The owner decided to sell it after all that time storing it. Now that I bought the woodie I will have to sell the truck. will be in the classifieds soon.

Attached Files:

2. SapienKustom

SapienKustom
    from Merced, CA

Nice find. Any pictures of the Plymouth your dad bought?

3. buckeye_01

buckeye_01

Killer score man.

4. 2-TONED

2-TONED

An excellent score!! :)

5. Nice score. I ike the custom/chopped 56 pickup, too!

6. irondoctor

irondoctor
    from Newton, KS

I would be interested in any advise on wood. I have found several sources that make complete kits and they are all pricey. I have a ways to go until I'm ready for that, but I can dream

7. xsteve

xsteve
    from puyallup

nice find, congrats

8. Great start for a project.Great year Ford and a woodie to boot.Nice find! Best of luck with it.

9. Love the woodie, my wife would kill for that.

10. Once you're done you'll have to change your avatar name.....

WoodDoctor!

11. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That woodie gives me one.

12. irondoctor

irondoctor
    from Newton, KS

I scored the a passenger side door handle off e-bay. Found some great sources for parts with the help of some fellow HAMBers. Still looking for any advise, comments, and or complaints concerning exterior wood. I am suprized how much price variation there is for wood kits. Anywhere from $5000-$12000.:eek:

13. truckncoupe

truckncoupe

14. Fidget

Fidget

I hope you took wood shop in high school!

Nice find

15. wood for a woodie will be expensive any way you go at it , there are a lot of curves and takes a lot of fitting to make it look right. time= $$$$$. the owner of a `49 woodie i did was lucky and it came with all NOS wood , but still needed to be fitted and adjusted. then of course finished. i believe that Ford did not do such a great job making back then. most kits i have seen are in the $12,000 price range.

check with : Wood by Whiskers , Somerset WI.....716-247-2513 , he will make the new wood right on your body for a perfect fit

[​IMG]

16. marvbarrish

marvbarrish
    from SoCal

The wood will be expensive if done right. However, the car will be a high value car when done so you should make out alright with it.

17. irondoctor

irondoctor
    from Newton, KS

Fritz has some nice stuff! Thanks for the tip!

18. AZCOWBO

AZCOWBO

My Avatar is my first car, a 1950 Ford Custom, given to me by my aunt and uncle. Photo was taken in 1961, with new '57 Olds Belmont Met. Blue paint.

19. junkmn

junkmn
    from melbourne

man it doesn't get any better than this!!! real nice find!!! im envious....

20. irondoctor

irondoctor
    from Newton, KS

Has anyone read this book, or at least look it over?
    I found it while searching for woodie tips. It is kinda pricey form Amazon.com, but that is the only place that has it. Just wondering if it is worth the investment.
    I feel fairly certain I can do the wood work. just looking for some tips on glues, laminating, and sealers. Any woodworking I have done has been for in the house not for driving around town

[​IMG]

21. **** That means your going to have to change your name to WOOD-DOCTOR !! Cool stuff >>>>.

22. Two nice barn finds, I'm getting a plane ticket to Kansas.

23. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

since everything is on the outside of the car, weather resistance isthe key. so you are looking at marine grade materials, epoxies for laminating up complex contours and spar varnish or polyurethanes with UV stabilization. invest in bar clamps, lots of them

24. Great find. I hope to find one as a project for my wife someday. She has always wanted a "surf style" woodie.

25. 402

Nice find. Have any pictures of your dad's new car?

26. goshawks00

goshawks00
    from Saline, Mi

Good start...been workin on a 51 off and on for a year now... and am just starting to fit the wood... It's EXPENSIVE!! I got the wood for Whiskers in Wis.about 8 grand in the frame wood, all birds eye, and it looks great... I can tell ya none of it fits as they all will require some fitting...
    BTW how about some contacts for parts,I need the inside windshield trim
    Barry
    [email protected]

Last edited: Apr 30, 2009
  27. greaser57

greaser57
    from minnesota

Cool car...........Rich

28. irondoctor

irondoctor
    from Newton, KS

Here is a few more pix. The motor turns over but acts like it has low or no compression. I plan to pull the heads and check the valves. The original color on the firewall and check out those rockers! Been sitting in a barn since at least 1980 maybe longer.

Attached Files:

29. 51shoebox

51shoebox
    from rialto

killer find, good for you