Register now to get rid of these ads!

Jefferson county WI swap meet or first fifty auto parts swap meet

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by buster6972, Apr 22, 2009.

1. buster6972

buster6972
    from Florida

In a little boggle I am from Cedar Falls, IA. The distance between the two meets is the exact same. I know that the Jefferson county swap is huge, but is it worth going to. Just looking for some insight on which to go to this weekend.

2. NiteOwlChris

NiteOwlChris

There are good deals to be found....but I think its like any other swap they are few and far between. The older stuff is getting harder to locate. There are a couple of great Vendors who will be there in the buildings with cool stuff to buy( Mike from Jefferson, and John from Iowa) both HAMB members. There is always a couple guys with stock model A parts, a good intake guy....prices a a little steep, but he has some cool shit. Alot of junk, but some gems. Try it out it is pretty big.

hope that helps

later
    Chris

3. jefferson is known for a few things
    lawnmowers and mud with car parts inbetween
    awsome weather this year though (80 and sunny)
    but it has produced some good pieces for me in the past
    i'll be there tomorrow snagging it up
    tk

4. bobj49f2

bobj49f2

I don't know about the Iowa meet but Jefferson seems to be mostly post '73 Chevy stuff, both used and new. Like mentioned above there are the usual new parts dealers that I assume are at every meet. If you're looking for older car parts and you're experience has shown that the Iowa meet has them, I'd head that way. I've found some old Ford truck parts at Jefferson but I usually come away empty handed. What I do find is usually priced pretty high. Same guys every year with the same high priced parts.

5. yellow wagon

yellow wagon
    from WI

go friday for the best selection and first pick at the good stuff!! Or get there when the gates open on saturday. Otherwise get ready to look at a lot of junk

6. KooDaddy

KooDaddy
    from Wis.

If you need 78 Cutlass parts or roll bar and trinkets for your mudder this is the place.
    Oh and some of the old lady vendors make cool beer can hats and liter bottle whirley-gigs. Also some of the most traditional lawn mowers and weed-wackers
    you will ever see in one place. Other than great people watching venue its a waste of time.

7. Tin Can

Tin Can

I am going tomorrow with a crew. Hopefully I can find some fenders for my 54. I have never been to the Iowa swap but if you are looking for older stuff and hear it is there I would head there

8. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

big car corral at Jefferson. rumor has it they expect 1500+ cars for sale this year!

9. 55FORDWGN

55FORDWGN

Jefferson, I am going to the First 50's myself, 200 miles versus 20 miles.

10. smitty78

smitty78
    from Florida

First Fifty has been good in the past. I'm dragging a '41 ford coupe to that. Is it supposed to rain?

11. It'll be Jefferson for me, distance mostly. I've been there every year for the last 10 or 12. You can find some good deals on things, bought my tir-power intake and rebuilt rochesters with linkage and air cleaners for $735.00. Also a good 340 duster 8 3/4 rear end with 391 gears for $175.00. But you have to be able to put up with all the 4X4 truck and ATV & lawnmower shit. But there is some decent stuff there. Go Early!!

12. 460 willy

460 willy
    from wisconsin

Jefferson is just OK I go every year just because it is close but if I had a choice I would go somewhere else. Like someone else said if you are looking for 4x4 crap or used chevy alternaters and water pumps Jefferson is the place.

13. Finn Jensen

Finn Jensen
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have yet to go to Spring Jefferson where there has not been some type of weather-related issue. Last year, if I recall correctly, the rains had passed but left a whole lot of puddles to navigate around. It looks like this year might work out to be very nice.

I think that Jefferson is a great event that is well organized and a great way to spend the day. I first went in 2002, and was shocked to see just how huge it is. I had been to Pomona a few times in the 1980s while living in California, and I think that Jefferson rivaled that.

14. snelson57

snelson57

I am trying to take a 1/2 day to make it to Jefferson tomorrow.....

15. xix32

xix32

the midwest's largest snowmobile and lawnmower swapmeet. if you get there after 9:00 a.m. you walk from ft.atkinson, it seems.

16. alchemy

alchemy

Where is this "First Fifty" swap meet in Iowa? Never heard of it.

17. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

I vendered at Jefferson for 16 years.Quit last year as the ROI was declining.I love Jefferson..lots of crap and plenty of good stuff too.I built a all aluminum BBC out of parts bought there.One piece at a time...lol.
    FirstFifties swap is at the MN fairgrounds.Never been so no report here.Next weekend is the Buick swap at the MN fairgrounds which used to be the biggest and best of the early swaps.Someone else here can tell if firstfifties is stealing the thunder away from the Buick show.

18. Alienbaby17

Alienbaby17

I just checked- First50 is THIS weekend the 26th on Sunday. Yes, it is supposed to be rainy all weekend here. If it's not pouring SUnday morning I'll probably head over...

Swap is ok sized- about like Roadsters Fall swap- maybe a bit smaller- if you're familliar with that.
    I never stick around for the car show- getting up at 4:30 leaves me ready to be going back to bed after a few passes of the swap by 9:00AM.

Found this online about First50...

What: This event features all types of cars including antique, collector, street rods, customs, muscle cars, imports, tuners, trucks and specialty interest vehicles.
    Where:Minnesota State Fairgrounds, 1265 Snelling Ave. N., St. Paul

When: April 26, from 6 a.m.-3 p.m.
    Cost: $5 to show, $5 to swap. Car entry is $2 if it snows. Non-participant entry fee is $5 for adults, free for children under 10.

Jay

19. People wait for Jefferson every year. You can pretty much find most things, if you look hard enough. It's spread out on a lot of acreage so be prepared for a lot of walking. Plan on spending a long day there.

20. Anyone know what time Jefferson opens up on Friday?

21. titus

titus

Id say the first fifty swap is about 1/8 the size of the roadster swap!!! its in the same spot but never as good as roadster swap.

id go to jefferson over first fifties if there was a choice, but i have to be around friday else id be going to jefferson friday and saturday and then coming home saturday night and going to first fifties sunday am.

jeff

22. bobj49f2

bobj49f2

Well, according to last nights news there's a chance of rain tomorrow. Probably going to be the usual mud fest. I can rarely remember when Spring Jefferson wasn't. I'm glad I don't have any money or else I know I'd be going. To paraphrase the old saying, "A bad at a swap meet is better than a good day at work".

23. OldSchoolSS

OldSchoolSS
    from WI

Gates are open from 1-6 today and from 6-4 tomorrow. It's supposed to rain tomorrow now. That blows. It's a mess when it rains there. If it's still forecasted to rain tomorrow I'm just staying home. Maybe i'll take a half day and head over there this afternoon. I wonder what the vendor turnout is on Fridays.

24. rick3658

rick3658
    from wisconsin

I will be there today at 11 am really need title ford 29 ford i am building so maybe with any luck i can find one, have a whole list of other stuff so we will see never been there on friday. i will post after i get back

25. 55FORDWGN

55FORDWGN

What he said.............................Jefferson,go, buy cool shit, have fun...............

26. yule16met

yule16met
    from Hudson, WI

Im going!
    Just wear waterproof boots and you can walk through the 2in deep puddles. I got sick of all the stupid people cramming past each other to keep out of the shallow puddles. Im bringing my girlfriend and I already told her that we would be walking ALL DAY LONG!

27. Alienbaby17

Alienbaby17

Whoops- sorry. Looking back on it in my head they're all starting to blend together. I just remembered it was in that same lot and couldn't remember any that seemed really smaller until you said that. If I remember correctly Roadsters usually starts filling from the North end whereas First50 starts filling from the south. I do remember a swap now with only a few aisles and being out of there by 7am. That must have been First50 last spring. Nice thing is you won't need to bring a flashlight like at Roadsters.

Jay

28. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

gates are open at Jefferson and have been since early this morning. Guess they hate to turn away vendors and car sellers with cash in hand. See you there.

29. the first 50 at the MN state fairgrounds has been OK in the past , and it has been crappy and not worth going to also. i will be curious as the attendance because they jumped the event one week in front of the Buick swap..it used to be the week after and had very poor turn out. in the past they had raped the swappers in swap space price and turned a few people off. we will see how it is. if i could only go to one , it would be the Buick one next week end

30. Stick Shift

Stick Shift
    from LENA IL

I was at Jefferson today (friday) and did not bring much home. There was a 40 Ford Tudor body for $800 that I now wish I would have brought home. Oh well maybe some other HAMBer will get it. :)