Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 32 Hiboy- "My 32 Spitfire"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 32 Spitfire, Feb 7, 2009.

1. great stuff! i love the paint work, great colour combo. cant wait to see the finished product.

2. 32 Spitfire

32 Spitfire

Part #30 "Pipes & Muffler"

I should have titled this one the tough one. For some reason I thought installing the exhaust pipes and muffler was going to be easy sailing, but I soon started to see problems on the horizon. I had asked Frank Wallic and Gary at Cornhusker their thoughts on this. Both suggested for a nice clean look, the pipes would have to come up immediately out of the exhaust manifolds ad weave through the maze of frame, transmission and brake system and then drop over the ladder bars. Both Gary and Frank spent days putting in their exhaust systems and there is really no easy way out if you want a nice clean look.

I decided to take it to a muffler shop. (I soon found out the old time custom muffler shops are a dieing breed) After many calls to local shops, I found one that I felt would do the work I was after. A long story short three guys in the shop worked over five straight hours custom bending and fitting the pipes. I had taken in a pair of the shortest Smithy's I had purchased from Speedway
    Motors.

Once home, Doug and I went completely over the entire exhaust system and changed a few things for even a better look. We spent several evenings on it as well. I thought I would show a couple photos of the system before we took it apart for the high temperature coating and the insulating tape under the seat area and to protect the brake system from heat.

This was a lot of work and now I know why Frank Wallic told me he dosen't like to talk about exhaust systems!

Once coated I will be putting it all back in for good and Doug told me today we may get the body on next week!!! I'm very excited to say the least!

"Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few"

Winston Churchill

32 Spitfire

Attached Files:

3. moter

moter

Very nice job! What exactly are you doing for the high temp coating and insulation?

Keep the pics coming....please ;)

4. 60'shotrod

60'shotrod

32 Spitfire, That is one very NEAT job on the pipes,I'll look forward to next week, when the body goes on the frame!:)

Nick.

5. claymore

claymore
    BANNED

Wow the first MILSPEC, O.D. painted, Hot rod I have seen. The amount of time spent trying to achieve perfection is well spent in this case looks great. Love the ammo cans and how you got them to work with the theme.

6. 32 Spitfire

32 Spitfire

Sorry for the delay in answering....the hangar was socked in heavy fog and rain today and the satellite dish down. (Reminiscent of the early radar during tough weather in WWII)

moter,

The black high temp insulating tape is from Speedway Motors...just arrived!! I will check on the high temp coating later.

60'shotrod,

Doug and I did our best on the pipes....pipes may never be quite perfect no matter who does them.....I guess we are just so picky. I'm with you.....I can't wait to see the body on the frame. Thanks for all your encouragement!

claymore,

Thanks! The theme is dedicated to those young men who risked it all in the Battle of Britian! I hope it reflects that.

I better get busy on the pipes!

32 Spitfire

Last edited: Apr 15, 2009
  7. 60'shotrod

60'shotrod

32 Spitfire, Your pipes look Bloody great to me and YES you are being picky!:D:D

Nick.

8. 32 Spitfire

32 Spitfire

Cont. #30 "Pipes & Muffler Mission Complete!"

Make no mistake pipes and mufflers are a big part of a custom rod project. I have learned a lot through this project and am very happy that it's finally done. It was warm and sunny in Ohio today, so I decided to install the high temperature freshly coated exhaust system and wrap the pipes under the seating area. This high temperature black wrap would also protect the sensitive brake, clutch and transmission area on the drivers side.

The black high temperature wrap and special stainless steel thin clamps from Speedway Motors worked very well.

Well next week Doug and I will finish up a few small details and hopefully install the Brookville body!

Winston Churchill

Have a nice weekend.

32 Spitfire

Attached Files:

9. metal man

metal man

Very nice .Glad to see you're giving credit where credit is due and not saying " I did this and I did that " Some neat touches on this one . It is a mail order hot rod , but unique enough to be interesting; lots to look at . Good job :)

10. Matt S.

Matt S.

Absolutely incredible, I love the theme & I love how it is not overdone. Just the right touch & you have great taste. The bomber seat, paint, ammo boxes, & the wood work are amazing details. Words cannot describe how amazed I am with this.

You are lucky to have such a great group of guys to work with. Cheers to you & everyone involved in this! Can't wait to see it done & you get to enjoy it!

11. Wow ... How did I ever miss this thread?

I must admit that I'm not much of a fan of "theme cars" ... but this build is definitely the exception ... fantastic execution ... very tastefully done ... and a fitting tribute to the boys of Eagle Squadron!

EDIT: I see now that Matt S. kinda stole my thunder ... but that's okay 'cuz I agree with him whole-heartedly!

12. SwampYankee

SwampYankee
    from Dudley MA

Great build. Cool theme. As a veteran and military reenactor I appreciate the nod to history and service. Have you thought about adding yellow tips and Hamilton Standard oval tags to your fan blades? Might be a bit over the top.

13. 32 Spitfire

32 Spitfire

#31 Installing the Brookville Grill Shell & Stainless Steel Grill"

With Doug my "Chief Mechanic" out of town last weekend I decided to carry on and install the Brookville grill shell and stainless steel grill. Enough of putting tools away and cleaning up the hangar I decided to get the tools out, the air grinder and belt sander fired up and enjoy myself! I also got the four hold down brackets made and painted for the hood panels.

This morning I finally unbolted the body from the temporary platform in hopes we can get it put on soon!

Thanks 1935Ron, Swamp Yankee, HEMI32, Matt S. and metal man!

Winston Churchill

32 Spitfire

Attached Files:

14. moter

moter

Looking awesome!! Do you have any pics of the mounting of the grill and radiator?

15. 60'shotrod

60'shotrod

32 Spitfire,:D:D:D!

Nick.

16. reefer

reefer

17. 32 Spitfire

32 Spitfire

moter,

Here are a few photos showing how the Brookville grill is attached to the radiator. I used two 1/4" stainless steel stove bolts and locking nuts on each side. The top is attached with the stainless steel hardware supplied with the hood.

The Brookville grill did not have the original two slots cut at the top and bottom to fasten the rope seal. So I cut them in so I could remove the rope to get to the bolts underneath. I used the original style rope clips at the top and bottom that fit in the slots. I have the top clip in tight and left the bottom one just bent enough to secure the rope so I can lift up the rope up to get to the bolts.

reefer,

Your right on! I already ordered an original style WWII flight jacket made of fine brown goat leather. It is at the artist/painter Dave Clark (740) 502-4419 right now! The jacket came from US Wings right here in Ohio. I actually talked with the owner who just happens to be a car buff and one very nice guy. Here is their awesome site:

http://www.uswings.com/

Winston Churchill

32 Spitfire

Attached Files:

18. moter

moter

Thanks for the info. Are you going to run a hood top and sides or just top?

19. gassman57

gassman57

I forsee an AMBR or Riddler in your future!!!!

Carnac

20. 60'shotrod

60'shotrod

32 Spitfire, now you're just teasing us with these pictures!!!!!!!!:D:D

Nick.

21. 32 Spitfire

32 Spitfire

moter,

I'm using a Rootlieb "lakes style" two piece hood top only. They have rows of louvers with a really cool design by my painter Steve Fender. Wait until you see them!

Thanks gassman57 & 60'shotrod!!

32 Spitfire

22. 32 Spitfire

32 Spitfire

Part #32 "Final photos before installing the body"

Doug stopped by this afternoon to do a final adjustment -the emergency brakes and a few other things. After we had finished up he reminded me to take the chassis outside for a couple photos before we put the body on as we had promised a few people here. Hopefully, these photos may help someone else on their custom 32 build.

Oh, yes. he told me to put away the tools and clean up the hangar! (again)

Winston Churchill

32 Spitfire

Attached Files:

23. moter

moter

wow!!! That is soooooo sweeeet!!!

24. 32spitfire,
    looking good so far, going to be great to it with the body on.
    Al.

25. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Lookiing very nice, can't wait to see the body on pics :cool:

26. 32 Spitfire

32 Spitfire

Part #32 Cont.

I had one more photo to add that I didn't have room for last evening.

I'm really hoping we can get the body on very soon. Doug and I are just trying to make sure everything is done correctly before it goes on.

Have a great weekend!

Winston Churchill

32 Spitfire

Attached Files:

27. Zombie Hot Rod

Zombie Hot Rod
    from New York

The floor looks amazing, great color on the body too!

28. Jivewire

Jivewire
    from Indy

32 Spitfire: I've been watching this thread closely over the last couple of months and must say what fun it has been. It is a really cool build from the theme all the way to the craftsmanship. Excellent! Can't wait to see it all finished. Should be a showstopper:cool:

29. 60'shotrod

60'shotrod

32 Spitfire, Now I'm lookin' forward to the next up-date!You must be getting excited to see the body on that great lookin' frame.

Nick.