Register now to get rid of these ads!

HYDRAMATIC band adjustment tools, where to buy?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flatoz, Apr 20, 2009.

1. flatoz

flatoz

I need the tools to do the adjustment for a Hydramatic, does anyone know where these can be bought from? have done a search and checked out Ebay etc. No luck, google didn't give me much either. Particularly after the J-2681 for my single coupling dual range Hydramatic.

Anyone? I'm trying to keep my olds, olds powered and if I dont' get this sorted it may be the death nail for a swap to something a bit easier to get parts and servicing for.

2. lowkroozer

lowkroozer

flatoz Try Ross Racing Engines They specialize in Oldsmobile drive lines phone 330 544 4466 They are located at1763N Main Street Niles Ohio 44446 Ross and Tony Lombardi

3. Homemade44

Homemade44

4. a couple of wrenches/sockets get the job done.
    3/8 & 3/4 if i'm not mistaken.

the j-tool has a veeder root style counter built in to keep track of the number of turns.

trust me. if you can count without using your fingers and toes, you DON'T NEED a special tool.

http://www.autotran.us/HMBAdj1.html

Last edited: Apr 20, 2009

5. flatoz

flatoz

Thanks have seen that , but that is for external adjustments. I have that in my motors manual. for the dual coupling hydramatics you have to adjust them internally and apparently their finiky. I rang and spoke to David and got some seals off him, he does lend out the tools, but I'm in Australia, so not exactly that close.

6. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

Flatoz: Now u have me confused. In your original post you mention a single range hydramatic, then later on it's the dual coupling.

Ok which one is it:
    Single range 40-51
    Dual range 52-56 (in general, trucks used them longer and so did Rolls Royce)
    Dual coupling 56-64

Both the single and dual range hydramatics have two bands, but the hydramatic boys dropped one of the external band adjustments around 53. So it is recommended that u use the internal adjusting method, which requires two gauges and a way of turning the external band adjustment(s). Like it was mentioned you can get away with two wrenches for the external adjustment portion, but the internal gauges are definitely needed. One of them is simply a fancy way of putting a spacer between servo and band apply rod/lever. I do not know that distance.

The other gauge is a little weird contraption that screws into the servo and is used to indicate when the external adjusting screw is correctly tightened. This might be a little more complicated but they do show up from time to time on EEEEEEBAY. Just set up a favorite search for "transmission tools", "hydramatic tools", "Rolls Royce hydramatic tools", and let the computer do all the search work.

I will keep this post in mind and let you know if there are any items out there. Good luck.

7. mudflap261

mudflap261
    from tulsa

How about trying bm hydro

8. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

Last edited: Apr 20, 2009
  9. You also might want to try someone who specializes in vintage Mercedes-Benz.The automatic transmission used from the early 50's to 1961 in the 300 series(Adenauer body W112)was a GM Hydra-Matic with an aluminum case.I remember looking through the old parts books and seeing GM part numbers as well as MB numbers.

10. flatoz

flatoz

Thanks all, D2 its 55 olds, dual coupling, I thought from memory my book said single range dual coupling, but probably wrong and don't have it here to look up. regardless its the 4 speed Hydramatic out of a '55 olds the one that you use R for park.

I know that it has to be adjusted internally, and you I do need that fancy little spacer, or at least someone who has one to take a picture and some measurements so I can make/get one made. As my understanding is that this lifts the band away so you can adjust it correctly. will keep up the search.

thanks all.

11. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

Flatoz: What you have is NOT a dual coupling, but a dual range (2 band type). They are also referred to as single coupling dual range hydramatics. The dual coupling type was introduced in 1956 models.

As far as the gauges, well my previous post to this one has a link to a picture of two gauges with measurements that you might be able to fabricate.

12. shifts

shifts

Flatoz, I have the tools you are looking for. Let me know how I can help. DAVE

13. shifts

shifts

Snap on #AT-52 Front servo guage Snap on# AT-54 Rear Servo guage

14. flatoz

flatoz

Thanks D2, I'm having trouble with those links and finding the measurements, will email the guy. are these the same tools? as they look different to those shown in my '55 olds manual. Again, my stuff up, early in the morning, yes it is a single coupling dual range hydramatic.

Shifts, you have these tools? will pm you.

15. Geoff Johnson

Geoff Johnson

I have a 1948 Hydra-Matic single range. I am looking to buy or rent the band adjustment tools J-1693 (J-1693-A) & J-5071. Anyone have any leads?

16. The same info in this thread holds true, even 6 years later... If you're looking to buy, you'll be spending your time hunting eBay.
    If you're looking to rent... http://www.autotran.us