Register now to get rid of these ads!

AZ Ghost Town & Junkyard

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by smitty78, Apr 19, 2009.

1. smitty78

smitty78
    from Florida

It Snowed again two weeks ago here in MN, so I escaped to AZ for a week to get some sun and look for cool old stuff.
    This was in a deep ditch in the town of Jerome, AZ
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Jerome, AZ ghost town if you ever make it there find the owner Don Robertson he's an interesting guy
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This is a '39 Studebaker with a old car hauler. he still uses
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    A dump truck with a hand crank bed
    [​IMG]
    Flat head powered welder he still uses
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    His SHELL tanker he uses as a camper at antique Tractor Trailer shows
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. smitty78

smitty78
    from Florida

Hidden Valley Junkyard. I found this using the Hamb search
    it was a bitch looking around this place thinking about rattle snakes & other shit we don't see in the mid-west
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. smitty78

smitty78
    from Florida

4. is that a 80 cubic inch flathead harley ?? i love fl hardley-dangerous scooters.:cool:

5. smitty78

smitty78
    from Florida

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

We stopped in socal AZ on the way to the airport
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

these were at the ghost town in Jerome also
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

That was four days & a little over 1,000 miles on a rental car

6. hotrod-Linkin

hotrod-Linkin

did you try to start that 59 ranchero?

7. 48stude

48stude

Love the Stude and that Nash Wrecker . Bill

Last edited: Apr 19, 2009
  8. junkyard junky

junkyard junky

I was at that guy's place in jerome when my dad was working in cottonwood. I have pics somewhere. I was wondering about that guy.

9. NTAPHSE

NTAPHSE

Jerome is a trippy place. I don't know if this is where you saw the cars but there is an old mine/saw mill at the end of town that has quite a collection. I would love to go buy that COE.

10. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

The Gold King Mine Museum is every car guys dream back yard.

11. Rich Rogers

Rich Rogers

I'd love to get my hands on the cabover White. Wonder if it still has the Hercules in line 6

12. S.F.

S.F.

That flat head powered welder is cool! imagine it with some zoomies and 3 dueces, and a new set of wide whites.

13. Kerry67

Kerry67

Forget Hidden Valley.....If you want to see cool 50's cars and Rod material, hit Desert Valley Auto Parts in Casa Grande. AMAZING.

14. gmgrunt

gmgrunt

that buffer is AWESOME!! McGyver stuff there!

15. 460 willy

460 willy
    from wisconsin

I spent some time in Jarome very cool place. My wife and I got married in Sedona and all my friends call me Jarome so it was fitting we all went there the day after the wedding

16. smitty78

smitty78
    from Florida

I had Desert Valley in the GPS and it was a coin toss between the two. I had to catch a flight at 2 in the afternoon. maybe next time

17. junk fiend

junk fiend

i love Jerome its so awsome there. lots of old tin around those kinds of towns in AZ were ever there is an abandoned old house or mine there is bound to be a dump down in a ravine next to it.

18. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Yeah Jerome is cool and kinder up there on the altitude scale also.

19. 2manytoys

2manytoys
    from Fresno

Road trip last summer from Ca. to TX. We stayed off the interstates when possible and took all back roads and from Prescott to Dallas and back to Fresno. I stopped by the Gold mine too. The vintage carhauler trailer was rusty and beat to death but I really want one after I saw that trailer. Vintage motorcycles, outboards, lots of trucks and what was that 3 cylinder that is like 4 storys tall, isnt that the biggest 3 cyl engine in the world? Everywhere you look in that place there is something vintage and cool. This is a must see stop if your a HAMBER travelling thru AZ.

Saw a house in North TX with six '59 Caddys' in the yard. There is still good old iron out there the desert southwest.

20. soul_hammer

soul_hammer

that '39 Studebaker with the car hauler is fking awesome now thats my kind of ride. i guess none of its for sale there just display stuff huh?

21. Here are some more pics from the Jerome Mining collection, taken over Spring break last month. The owner seemed adamant about not wanting to let any of his collection get away. He mentioned something about it being " his 501 K " investment for his future retirement. After he got off work that afternoon, he rode that old Harley down to Jerome where he must live, and then got on what looked like a brand new Road King, and rode off into the sunset with his old lady on the back.

Attached Files:

22. vertible59

vertible59

Great stuff! That Mercury convertible is gorgeous. Did you spot it parked and stop to photograph it?

23. I couldn't agree more!!!:D

Thanks for sharing the pics!!

24. smitty78

smitty78
    from Florida

the Merc was sitting in socal's parking lot I was looking at it and noticed it had Minnesota plates. I looked around for another really white scandinavian guy, but couldn't find him. he must winter down there and blends in with people that get sun more than 150 days of sunshine a year.

25. Fenders

Fenders

26. Nope, it's a Four Five.

27. Kerry67

Kerry67

DVAP has two yards. The north Phoenix yard has mostly 60's cars. The Casa Grande yard has mostly 50's.

28. The Casa Grande yard used to owned by Ronny Wiseman and called Wisemans for many decades. Ronny was killed in a car wreck about 5 years back. His family decided to auction the whole place off. The owners of DVAP bought most of it including the land and business. I was able to out bid them on 17 Pontiacs which I added to my collection of about 500 at the time.
    I started my own yard about a mile from Hidden Valley in Maricopa in 1995 which grew to number 500 Pontiacs (1955-1981 model years only).
    Now I am starting a 2nd and larger yard in eastern az near Springerville.
    The original Hidden valley was based on about 100 acres up the road from me. They sold the land and crushed out most of the yard about 3 years back. Then, they bought another yard, about 10 acres, across the hiway 238 and moved their name onto that one. They did save some cars from their old, giaint yard but, only a small fraction. Sadly, I was unable to buy any of the cars that got crushed because they would not deal with me.

It is very cool to have your OWN yard. anyone could do it with enough determination, now I have 2 though i plan to sell the first one now and move everything to the new place and get out of the valley.
    Steve
    www.pontiacheaven.org"

Hosting 8th annual Nostalgic Show and Go! drags, displays and parts swap coming in 2009

Last edited: Apr 20, 2009
  29. Kerry67

Kerry67

Steve,

Why did Hidden Valley Crush all the old stuff in their own yard ? Especially if they were going to another yard just down the street. I was at their yard a couple weeks ago and did not see too much cool stuff. The one thing I did want was way overpriced. They had a hood for a 56 chevy that needed quite a bit of work and they still wanted $250 for it.

30. dropingame

dropingame

i dont know about amazing, but there is some cool stuff there. they are just way overpriced on everythang. i usally just hit the junk yards on the ave's in phx.