Register now to get rid of these ads!

Gas in oil engine explode?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Old wolf, Apr 19, 2009.

1. Back when i was a teen i had a 283 that got gas in the oil and it ignited . The expolsion balloned the valve covers and oil pan:eek:. So i replaced the pan and valve covers installed a new fuel pump. Kaboom same thing happened:confused: Found out that had a flat cam the exhaust wasnt opening any. This was forcing raw gas past the rings and causing the problem:p. Has anyone else had similar problems? OldWolf

2. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

i had a needle and seat stick in a motor while on a roadtrip, i kept draing gas and oil out and replaceing it and billoing white smoke all the way untill i hit the carb with a hammer, but it never blew up, the motor still runs good five years and a couple trips later, school bus with a 454

3. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

When I was an Army truck mechanic we had 302 GMC engines in some of the duece and a halfs that had electric fuel pumps. On guy left his on overnight and the needle and seat leaked so the pan was pretty full. When he fired it in the morning it ran badly and made lots of smoke. So me and Jim Smith went to look at it. It was snawing so I sat on the raditor with my feet on the rocker box while Jim tried to fire it. Like you said it blew the valve cover out. Balloned the pan and side cover. Pushed about a quart of oil out the filler pipe and scared me right out of there. Blew lots of gaskets out. We sent it to ordaniance

4. Yup !! That'll do it as I've seen it rip the oil pan plumb off >>>>.

5. R Pope

R Pope

Had a 216 Chev with a scored piston. Gas got in the pan and blew the two-bolt valve cover into orbit!

6. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

man i didnt know i was that lucky, kick ass

7. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

O/T engine...a Wisconsen VH4D..did the same thing..but no pan to blow off or valve covers to push out..its a flat head style engine..so when it blew..oil and fuel mixture spewed out of the filler tube..it was everywhere..
    from that point on, anytime that piece of equipment went out on the road..the fuel would get shut off..
    the float would bob up and down while bouncing down the road and since the fuel was gravity fed..well it fed fuel right into the engine..
    we emptied it right after that happened changed the filter and oil..ran it for a minuet or two and changed both the filter and oil again..so far..so good.

8. Harry Bergeron

Harry Bergeron
    from SoCal

My first car was a 37 Tudor and if it didn't start the first time from cold, it would blow the breather cap off.
    I had noticed little bumps on the underside of the hood when I bought it for $50, but didn't think anything of it until it happened to me.

9. Ole don

Ole don

Many years ago, I had a 331 hemi sitting on the floor of the garage. One day I tried to start it, but flooded it. It blew the oil fill cap off so hard it ricocheted off the ceiling, then over my sisters car, off the wall, and dented the left rear door of her car. That dumb motor never did run.

10. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.

I had a 1950 Ford, with a flathead V8, in the early 1960's. I learned that anything ignitable in the oil pan could be a problem if you accidentally touched the dip stick to the positive battery post, when pulling the dipstick out of the engine while checking the oil. It blew out the breather tube.

11. I am working on a 454 now with a wiped exhaust lobe. Engine was popping thru carb when intake opened. Tear down time since I don't know what else is wrong with the engine. It also has piston slap.

12. 61bone

61bone

60 vette with a leaky holley. Blew with the hood open.Broke one valve cover, balooned the pan. Never did find the dipstick.

13. Back when I was in service I was putting 3x2s on my 390 Fairlane in the parking lot.I somehow got it out of time.Cranked it a lot.When I went to pull the distributor out to turn it 180 it grounded out to the block and it exploded.Blew both valve covers and made so much noise the barracks guys came out to see if I had a bomb.Never did find the valve cover breathers.Did not seem to hurt the oil pan but that engine never did run right.

14. bumpybigblok

bumpybigblok
    from Midwest

An old booby trap during war time was to sneak into the enemy camp with a canteen of gas and go under the vehicles and drain the oil on the ground. Then funnel a cup of gas back into the crankcase and pull a plug wire and put it in a breather hole or dipstick tube. When the enemy went to fire up their trucks , they'd blow pans off all up and down the row.

15. temper_mental

temper_mental
    from Texas

Once I threw a rod out the side of a block but it didn't have anything to do with gas in the oil. More to do with my foot on the floor.

16. jamesgs4

jamesgs4
    from denver

DOOooooodEEE!! you watch too much tv.

17. The old gas tank engines like the one in lenos roadster used to occasionaly have crankcase explosions, if you left the grate open when you shut them off they would burp about 25 gallons of oil out the filler tube, I made a mess all over the shop wall once.

18. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

I blew up a 283 once...#@&^%$ choke failed, the kind with the rusted tube through the rusted exhaust manifold, and it was colder than hell out for a week or so with no place warm to work. I just started the thing every day by pumping the gas like crazy til it would start, then runnit fast and restart as needed until it was warmed up a bit. One day...BLAM!
    Had Corvette valve covers...one of them shattered completely, and some chunks were never located, and of course on a Chevy SBC, that failure dumped oil onto the manifold and created an amazing amount of smoke...