Register now to get rid of these ads!

engine swap ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by longtops, Apr 19, 2009.

1. longtops

longtops

Hello all.I'm trying to gather info on a swap that I might be attempting.1950 Dodge coronet flat six to a 250 gm six and a 350 turbo trans.What am I in for? Commits Please,yea or ney!:eek:

2. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

You will need a custom driveshaft if you are keeping the stock rear as the Dodge has those old Detroit Ujoints. You will also be losing the emergency brake. So, you really have to swap in a rear end, too. A 67 or so Camaro rear will bolt up to the springs; you need to make new u bolt plates and shock mounts.

You might run into problems with the steering box/motor mounts/exhaust manifold.

3. George

George

Late 40s-early 50s are about the same. Lots of them with TH 350s in them. Not to difficult to make a new tranny mount/crossover. Bought a 47 with a Chevy I-6, seemed to fit OK. Had a 3 speed stick & stock dodge rear axle.

4. Don B.

Don B.
    from IL

why not use a slant 6; Keep your Mopar All Mopar ( another option; a Jeep 4.0)

5. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

The jeep 4.0 (I believe an old AMC engine) is really strong and should be able to find one with a good automatic. The old Chrysler cars had ball and trunnion u-joints, but you could have a standard u-joint adapted to the original driveshaft. But then the e-brake thing will need to be revised, therefore a new rear end.