Register now to get rid of these ads!

Minnesota Back to the 50's

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by seesko, Apr 17, 2009.

1. 55FORDWGN

55FORDWGN

You wear the pink socks, we'll know who you are.

2. I've been to a few, It's a great weekend.

3. Hey, my Back to the Fifties number is 331...I still think we should claim some turf for the HAMB...Turbostude , Who knew that you would turn out so good, little greasemonky ragamuffen.

4. hickory

hickory

I was there last year. Don't know if I'll make it this year. Nice cars!! Best darn car show I've ever been to. Here's a couple memories. The first one is a Hambers car, if my memory serves me right.

Attached Files:

5. AntiBling

AntiBling

I will be there, and hopefully with my '57 Ford. Went last year for the first time and now I'm hooked, decided driving home from it that I needed a car for next years because running to the parking lot to dump photos onto a computer and charge batteries for the camera wasn't cutting it.

Met some HAMB'ers at the meeting. And was a good time all around for me.

Pictures from last years show:

http://antibling.deviantart.com/gallery/#Back-To-The-50s-2008

And a couple pictures from the HAMB meet:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Del Swanson

Del Swanson
    from Racine, WI

I did the tin sign for the show this year, but haven't gotten the permission to show it yet. Hopefully I'll be able to post it soon.
    Del

7. i'm hoping to be able to go this year,,,
    i've only made it once since moving to TEJAS,,,
    it's the BEST,,,and i miss going,,,

xoxoxo
    miss hootch

8. First BTT50s thread of the year only gets started 2 months in advance? must be slipping...

I'm missing it this year.

9. scoop

scoop

Dave,whats more important than BTT50's?

10. saltflatmatt

saltflatmatt
    Alliance Vendor

Messaround is more important than the 50's... You don't have to dig through 10,000 streetrods to find the cool ones!

11. Tall Tom

Tall Tom
    from Austin MN

Hang a Hammer around your neck:D

I'll be there on Sunday morning for the Swap Meet.

12. 55FORDWGN

55FORDWGN

If you like sort of eclectic little bowling alley parking lot car shows its okay, but "important"............I doubt it. I would even go so far as to say its the best Bowling Alley parking lot car show I've been to. You don't have to dig through 10,000 street rods because I doubt you have more then 100 or so entries and once you weed through all the "Rat Rods" there is only a couple of cars left to look at, and yes they were cool.

13. SUNROOFCORD

SUNROOFCORD

GREAT post. Part of the fun of Back To The '50s is you never know what your going to see next. I've been to all of them and still remember the first like it was yesterday. 250 cars was ALOT of cars. Back then, nobody could of ever predicted that Back To The 50s or MSRA would be as big as it is today.

14. smitty78

smitty78
    from Florida

I have only missed 4 BTT50's since i was about 12 yrs old.... damn military making me hang out in sunny exotic places

15. Squablow

Squablow

Never been, but hope to go this year and bring something, probably my '55 Dodge.

Can someone post up the dates? And do cars get turned away at the gate, or? I don't figure I'll get a hotel room anywhere, but I'd hate to show up and not be able to park in the show because it's full.

16. thanks for reminding me to register....
    i have been to every one geezzzz i am old

17. hey
    just HIT ON the msra site print out PRE ORDER FORM and yer good to go

you will be turned away from the gate you must pre order or get entry stuff at the hotel just north of the fairgrounds

just try and have 11 grands worth of cars show up and be in line w/o tickets
    they have it handled

super secret

try getting there as the gates open so you do not have to wait

you ain't a power parker so
    whats better is to park by the big yellow french fry stand to see most cars drivin come in and for sundays swap
    during the daylite hours Avoid SNELLING go straight down CLEVLAND TO THE REAR GATE .. cut across the grandstand lot and yer right in the middle of the whole thing
    do not do not expect to see every thing it covers a couple sqaure miles ... but find a spot by a exit and wait all cars must leave every nite

we park by the cinnamon roll booth .....hopefully

Last edited: Apr 19, 2009
  18. Yummy

Yummy

Just scratched out a check 10 min. ago, will be dropping in the mail tomorrow. It's been at least 5 years since I've been, can't wait to get back.

Squablow,
    I don't think you'll get turned away, just might need to find a creative place to park. You will be turned away if you don't stop at the registration hotel first to register.

19. saltflatmatt

saltflatmatt
    Alliance Vendor

Ya .... You been on the HAMB what....??? 2 months...???? You come to our show and you say RAT RODS...??? You got to get a clue.. We reject LOTS of cars...RATS RODS.... BIG difference between rat rods and traditional hot rods.... KEEP reading the HAMB!!!!

If sitting at the fairgrounds and eating $8 hot dogs in a lawn chair surrounded by 10,000 streetrods is your thing, cool.... But don't call our show a rat rod show!! Have a good day!

20. 55FORDWGN

55FORDWGN

I didn't and won't call your show a rat rod show. As a matter of fact I thought your show was pretty cool, but to suggest that its more important then Back to the Fifties is a joke. If it wasn't for BTT50's the hot rod scene in Minnesota would probably be considerably less then it is today. Point #2 what difference does it make how long I've been on the HAMB? The HAMB is a really cool forum with many many different types of people and different opinions and lots of info, and I'm guessing we all arrive here for much the same reason CARS. You are right about the amount of cars it's staggering, and yes you do have to look at a lot of non-traditional cars to get to the good ones, but as someone above said thats half the fun. Are hot dogs really $8.00? I'm having a good day, and as far as I know I do have a clue, do you?

21. Rande

Rande

Squablow, you must register first at another location. All the info you need is on the MSRA website. The registration hotel is on the north side of the city and its an easy (though slow) drive from there to the fairgrounds.

22. apound

apound

Made the drive up from Texas in my 48 Pontiac in 2005. Went back again last year. Has to be the best show in the world. I'll be back.

23. Gunch

Gunch

The "importance" of a car show isn't based on something as subjective as the relative quality (read: traditional, rat rod, kustom, whatever you're into) of cars that attend but more the atmosphere and environment that is imparted by the operators of the car show. The concept of getting together over ten thousand cars and car people from all over the country (and some of our neighboring countries as well!) is where the importance is derived from. it is a large gathering and while the majority of the cars may not be ideal to your tastes, i'm sure the multitude of after hours hotel shows, random cars cruising university, and many other things that ONLY happen that weekend are something almost everyone can appriciate and recognize as significant.

And with that, I'm excited to go walk the 50's until i can barely stand... then sit for fifteen minutes and walk again.

24. Jalopy Jim

Jalopy Jim

Remember to send in your registration soon as registration is closed april 29th preregistration is $30, registration at the Hamption is $60.
    If two people go 2 days as spectators it is cheaper to register a car ( even if the car is in a thousand peices all over the shop ) and walk in using your entrant buttons. If you look at MSRA ads is always states XXXX entrants in 2008 ect. not XXXX cars in 2008.
    My 54 has been entered for the past 10 years not and probably will not be finished by Sept. and I know many more such entrants.

25. henryj429

henryj429

24th straight year for me. Used to be an 8 hour drive, now only 6. Been there in a 56 Merc pickup, 36 ford Tudor, 57 Coupe DeVille, 51 HenryJ and 36 Nash. 2009 will be the 7th year with the Nash. With divine intervention, the Zephyr will be there next year.

With a little luck I'll get the main gate for my voluntneer shift, so I can study the "spectators" as they bounce in.

Will also be digging in Ralph's trunk for free beer.

26. There is a supercritical biomass gasification reactor in Germany that needs my attention for the next 6 months.

27. Pinewood

Pinewood

Importance?!.... Am I missing something?... I thought this was a traditional hot rod message board? The Messaround is a show dedicated to traditional styled hot rods and customs. I think that what Matt is trying to say is if traditional stuff is important to you then come to the Messaround. If you're into lots of street rods and crowds go to Btt50's.

We keep the Messaround to a 100 cars to keep the quality high. We now have overflow parking because we don't have enough room. Sure we could move the venue but it's about quality not quantity. Quality which is getting better and better every year.

I'm not going to lie. I go to Btt50's every year and enjoy parts of it but there's just too much to weed through to find the cool stuff. Too many Minnesota guys think Btt50's is the only car show to attend or it's so great. I think they should get out and see traditional hot rod shows like the Roundup, Billetproof-CA, the Pileup, and the former Road Agents Rumble... I know I have.

28. DeuceKustoms

DeuceKustoms

wouldn't miss the Messaround if i had 4 flat tires... it is definitely a better show than 50's, but 50's is 50's and its a hell of a fun weekend! my $0.02

29. I had em tatooed on:p argyles:D

30. Pronto Pups are about 3.00 I think. You can get a hot dog at the Peters Hot Dog stand for 2.00. If Matt he went to BTT 50's he would know these important things:p. It's amazing what some people get pissed about.:rolleyes:
    O/T
    a I've been a on here for about 3 months. I've been into cars for almost 45 years. I could give a rip what someone else drives as long as they're not an asshole. Thank God we don't all like the same thing. That really would suck.:( I really enjoy the HAMB too.:) I like and respect the HAMB friendly cars and the work and dedication that goes into these cars. I like a lot of other kinds of cars modes of transportation too. I've been in a lot of car clubs and the biggest killer is that elitest arogance or negitive attitude. It's chases off new blood and sours the milk.:(.
    One thing that makes BTT 50's so cool. There's so damn much to see and take in. The best thing to me these days is hanging out with friends and talking to other rodders and car people.:)