Register now to get rid of these ads!

Crazy blower setup last night at a Cruise. Possible HAMBer?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Moloko, Apr 19, 2009.

1. Moloko

Moloko

Went to the first cruise of the season last night. This thing was there. Owner of the car was wearing the same Jalopy Drags shirt I was, and we exchanged banter. Check this thing out though.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

cool stuff. those air cleaners look like coffee cans.

3. Moloko

Moloko

Almost sure it said "Latham Axial Supercharger" on it, but I was kinda tired by the time it was time for the show.

4. Psychoholic

Psychoholic

That is mighty damned cool right there.

5. Mad~Max

Mad~Max

Looks like it was designed to be ugly, and he did a fantastic job. Thumbing your nose at beauty is a life statement :cool:

Jethro Bodine would be proud :p

6. MrGasser

MrGasser
    from DETROIT

Yes, that is indeed a Latham...

7. Pir8Darryl

Pir8Darryl

Sorry... Wish I could say I liked it.

Blown Hemi
    Open pipes
    Pre WWII tin.

It's got all the right parts, but that car just dont do it for me.

8. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Looks like a little Lycoming sitting on a hemi. :D Sorry...lots of ingenuity there. :cool:

9. Next time you see it, see if you can find out more about the carburetors.

10. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Lathems used Carter YF side draft carburators same as '54 Corvets and turbocharged Corvairs, I believe. They are normaly a very clean looking installation. This guy in his quest to look "Traditional" put rusty cans on his for air cleaners and otherwise gooked up what should be a nice car.

11. budssuperpro

budssuperpro

I LIKE IT !!!!! :D :eek: :p
    if it aint broke then don't fix it, looks good the way it is..

Last edited: Apr 21, 2009
  12. SquigMachine

SquigMachine

Thats Insane!! i love the coffee can looking filters, the aged look really fits prefect.

13. 41hemi

41hemi

I saw this car at the Glen Burnie, Maryland JalopyRama this past fall. Very interesting setup!

14. Moloko

Moloko

A first I thought they were coffee cans, but I don't think they are. They were too "smooth" and had those chrome lips you can see, not really jagged edges. I remember seeing a setup like this on some old commercial lawnmowers my neighbor used to have. Maybe they are actually from some kind of commercial/industrial engine?

15. buckeye_01

buckeye_01

HAHHAAH! Looks like he was right about us....oh shit.

Bitchin ride man. Rough around the edges, but cool.

16. And those coffee cans look like shit! He had a decent idea, then went and subscribed to OSR for a month or two.

17. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

Why didn't you just ask him if he was on the hamb?

18. Hot Rod Bob

Hot Rod Bob
    from T-ville Ky

19. to each his own I guess, wish it was mine, I'd change some things, but who am I to comment, his is running and going to shows, mines still sitting in my shop patiently.
    kudos for him, if your not standing on the edge, your taking up to much room.

20. synthsis

synthsis

Those are Coffee Cans. I shot that car last year for Blacktop Graffiti but never got around to getting it published. When I shot it the cans were crispy clean, I guess they've corroded a bit over the last year. I talked to the owner for about 30 minutes after I shot the car. It's an auto, so his wife could drive it, and he had the dumps open leaving the shoot and man oh man, what a sound.

oh, and the edge of the cans is just that cheap plastic trim you can buy at Pepboys that you'd line your door jamb with.

21. Warpspeed

Warpspeed

Yes it is a Latham axial supercharger. Large, ugly, old, and not much performance,. But that should surely make it HAMB approved.

22. zzford

zzford

"Large, ugly, old, and not much performance" Hey you just described me!

23. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That was my first thought!! Interesting and good looking the Lathams are, but ultimately not much good.
    The 'soup' cans just..................er...................well................

24. Bangkok Dean

Bangkok Dean

How sad some ricer is going with out tail pipes...........

25. F.O.G

F.O.G
    from Pacific,Mo

Lathams were neat blowers, built like a turbine engine; stator/rotor;stator/rotor etc....very quiet in operation and were popular for awhile because of the low profile.

26. 'Car was at Rumblers show in Brooklyn last August - cool.

27. unclescooby

unclescooby
    from indy

That's only the fourth Latham I've ever actually seen on a RUNNING car. I'll forgive everything else just for that.

28. alsancle

alsancle

There does seem to be about 4 on eBay for every 1 you see running. It would be interesting to see some dyno results. They do look awfully cool and I only missed out on your 435 Lincoln Latham by about 100 bucks (assuming the other guy stopped of course). Of course it probably would have sat on a shelf for years before I got around to putting on our boat.

29. triplexkustoms

triplexkustoms

i think mazdaslam or sdfs10 had some pics of that car from last years goodguys show.

30. HOT40ROD

HOT40ROD
    from Easton, Pa

Yes they are coffee can and that is a Lathems Charger. He is a good friend of mine. The car started out as a bunch of 27 Chrysler body parts laying on his garage floor.

He drives that car all over. He built it to drive. He drives it in the rain and I believe even in the snow once. So far The car survive one Deer about a mile from is house. Yes he was in Maryland with it.

He also has a Flathead ford setting in his garage with a Lathems charger on it.

I know if you can find him at the car he will tell you anything you want to know about. The hard part is finding him there. He likes to walk around and look at other cars.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2009