Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Dolling up your Big Block Chevy for a Traditional build and Hot Rod

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by continentaljohn, Apr 17, 2009.

1. Double Caddy

Double Caddy
    from virginia

Im putting a 454 in my 53 caddy . Im in the process of painting the engine parts right now. Its gonna have the stock vavle covers with edelbrock c 396 dual plane intake and edelbrock 1407 750 carb. blue racer cam .( mild)crane lifters short alum water pump . electronic ignition. and im painting it spectra blue. its close to caddy blue but has some flake in it. check out my photo album right now ive been documenting it there and when im done ill post it. its gonna look really nice. Im not sure if headers are going to work if not ill use the cast iron exhaust manifold and paint them up nice.

2. BBC looks good in this.......

[​IMG]

3. Paul

Paul
    Editor

i ran a few different inductions on one of my big blocks

here is a picture of a few of them,
    the Man-A-Fre must have been on the motor at the time this picture was taken as I don't see it here in my chevy junk pile..
    the medium rise dual quad is not here either...hmm

[​IMG]

4. monsterflake

monsterflake

where's the robot mannequin from? nice 'pile', btw...

5. JokerJ

JokerJ
    from Hobergs

Here's mine, gettinng all tarted up, period perfect for 1966-67! It's going into a chopped `49 w/ a M-22 behind it.

Attached Files:

6. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

I'm thinking the earliest look would be like it was plucked out of a near new 1965. Like done up full blown 1965 corvette restorer style with original everything, resto wires and clips, resto stickers, resto carb finishes and fuel line, etc. In the right car it'd be over the top despite going against normal finned-valvecover-hotrod standards.

7. Paul

Paul
    Editor

thanks,
    the wife works display at Macy's
    she gets some of the old mannequines when they get new ones
    the loft in the shop is full of them..:rolleyes:

I agree with the very early stock look
    that'd be cool

8. JokerJ

JokerJ
    from Hobergs

I want to see this one come together! You've got all of the good parts, it should be scary fast! Do you plan to run a manual or auto trans in it?

9. Racewriter

Racewriter

I have a chub.

10. monsterflake

monsterflake

exactly, since you can use the same engine mounts, it would have been a natural upgrade from a 327 in 65-66...

11. Lazy White Boy

Lazy White Boy

car 1 070.jpg

Who cares if it's not traditional "enough" for some of these guys, you'll blow their doors off!

12. Marty McFly

Marty McFly

Lazy White Boy:

Got a traction problem....maybe???
    When/if it hooks that has got to pull like a scared mule, My F'n God !

Marty McF.

Attached Files:

13. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

So, 1 year is the difference between "traditional" and "later". The last 409 was in 1964 and the first big block (never heard of the 348/409 refered to as "big block") was 1965. Kinda splitting hairs aren't we?:confused:

Frank

14. sean72

sean72

Actually the last 409 was 1965. There are some early 1965 SS 409 Impalas that exist.

You can't go wrong with a BBC and either Cal Custom or M/T valve covers.

Sean

15. Lazy White Boy

Lazy White Boy

It really likes to go sideways when I punch it, I like to pretend I'm Wild Willie Borsch driving the Winged Express. :)

16. SquigMachine

SquigMachine

i would feel like him to with a car that fried em' the whole quarter mile(which by looking at his Blown hemi i would guess it does automatically) and by the looks of your Blown Big block im guessing yours could do aswell

17. duffman

duffman

18. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

I dont get why some guys gripe about a BBC being non traditional but think 500 Caddys are OK ?

19. Bruce302

Bruce302
    from NZ

Shoot, I had a complete (carbs and cleaner) "
    'Vette BBC tri power set up in the shop for $50 and no takers. Mind that was a 'few' years back.

20. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

A real hot rodder would only run a manual, right?:eek::D I've got a new Doug Nash 5 spd and a detailed Franklin quickchange (all alloy parts are polished), a set of origional mag Halibrands, 5 holers for the back and 10 spokes for the front.

Frank

21. I'm putting some old cal custom covers on my 27 RPU, should look good with the X4 crossram and six 94's. Works for me anyway!
    [​IMG]

22. Yup, that's the one I have too! VERY cool intake!

Max

23. For my bbc, I just scored a set of round top cal custom v/c's at Webster swap meet for $20! ...and I'm still smiling! :D

And don't worry about the "traditional police" bbc haters too much. With their wee little flathead boat anchors, they'll only be able to see your tail lights anyway.:p

24. KillerKustom

KillerKustom

shit thats a scary ride.

25. LabRat

LabRat

I also like the idea of it appearing dead stock , to give the feel that the motor had been pulled from a wrecked (65) new car and maybe run a generator to aid the thought of the car being rodded previously ....

26. LabRat

LabRat

So it presented like this ....[​IMG]

27. Ok, so now i know of TWO X4's! Never seen another one down here, is yours up & running? or like mine, which had never seen fuel in its life but will soon....

28. Nope Kevin it's just sitting on a shelf.:( Been there a whole lotta years just waiting it's turn!

Max

29. mickticulus

mickticulus

Heres mine,
    [​IMG]

468, '67 alloy heads, man-a-fre, spalding flamethrower, Weiand 'say-why-and" front cover (still looking for the VCs to match), finned aluminum oil pan, muncie 4 spd.....all the goodies a guy could dream of in '67.

Its all going in my 32 Chevy roaster that was last running in '67. Ironically, my uncle took the car apart to install a 427 tripower out of a wrecked vette.....So hats off to the guys who suggested a stock "late model" be it '67 motor.

30. Double Caddy

Double Caddy
    from virginia

IVE got a couple of parts that are going on my 454 painted

Attached Files: