Register now to get rid of these ads!

re-sleeving Buick finned drums

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 2Hep, Apr 17, 2009.

1. 2Hep

2Hep

Anybody know of anyone that can resleeve the steel lining in a Buick Finned ALuminum Drum. I've got a set, but there isn't much meat left to turn.

2. roundvalley

roundvalley

What do they measure out?

3. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

I found a guy in Hemmings one time about 5 years ago. He did the Buicks, Ferraris and the like. Sorry I didn't keep the info.

4. There was a guy in Hemmings that did the Pontiac 8 lug drums as well. It wasn't cheap.

I don't get Hemmings anymore or I could tell you.. Sorry.

It would probably be cheaper to buy another set of drums, really.

5. Zookeeper

Zookeeper

Just curious, but how is the steel sleeve held in place? Are you sure it's steel and not iron? If it's just shrunk in or pressed in place, any decent machinist can do it. I make and press large-diameter sleeves in industrial bearing housings quite often and have never had one fail. If you're thinking it would rotate or slip inside the drum, I seriously doubt it, with a decent amount of interference, the surface area is simply more than the brake friction of a stopping car can overcome.

6. I talked to a Pontiac fanatic some time ago who had had a bunch of his 8 lug drums done. I don't remember the exact price but I do remember being blown away. I'm sure you can find a good set if you keep at it. I seem to run across a set just about every two years so cheap I can't pass them up.

7. Gorehound

Gorehound
    from Delaware

8. twotoejoe

twotoejoe

The guy who did the Pontiac 8 lug drums, Roger Rheil (sp?) died a couple of years ago. Last I heard, his son was wanting to sell his operation.