Register now to get rid of these ads!

Welding without disconnecting battery.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by skwurl, Apr 17, 2009.

1. skwurl

skwurl

So we did some welding on my hot ros last night. I forgotto unhook mthe battery. My charging systme isnt charging . I think it is the regulator. Could this alson fry the generator?

2. ssaahemifan

ssaahemifan

Yes it can.

I always disconnect the battery and am very careful to place my ground cable close to my work area.

It the ground is poor the welder will look for other ground paths.

3. TAYLOR

TAYLOR
    from DALLAS,GA.

I would say it could have fried any of you electronic's . We always disconected all electronic's on the drag car's before welding on them. I have forgot disconnect things before and was lucky nothing burnt up.

4. r8odecay

r8odecay

Did you re-polarize it?

5. imp610

imp610
    from Finland

I think you fried your diodes... or the regulator. Always disconnect the battery when welding, I have learned... the hard way.

6. dbradley

dbradley

Well, if you have a generator and an 'old' style regulator I doubt if you "broke" anything. Just polarize both the generator and regulator and give it a try. Unless you have a 'modern' regulator, there's no solid state parts in there.

7. john walker

john walker

take a jumper wire and flash the B and A terminals together on the regulator, or do 12V to the A terminal on the generator. just need to spark it for a split second.

8. The transformer burned out in my 110 wire feed, it blew the breaker in my shop and popped all the fuses in my pick up that had the block heater pluged in to the same 110 circut. Must have been a hell of a jolt.

9. skwurl

skwurl

I polarized it again. At idle if you disconnect the battery it will die. If you hold it at abou1500 rpm and disconnect it it will jump up to about 14.5 volts. cut the headlights on and it drops to 12 volts. I think its just the regulator. Thanks for the input guys.