Register now to get rid of these ads!

1952 chevy coupe dropped spindles?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by AustinPhoenix, Apr 17, 2009.

1. AustinPhoenix

AustinPhoenix
    from Austin

I can't find anybody that sells these. I want to drop the front end without dealing with bump steer. I hope this is an option for this year/model.

Does anybody know who might sell them? I called chassis engineering and heidts, but they don't.

2. fiftyfiveford

fiftyfiveford

Your looking for dropped uprights, the things that the spindles attach to.
    Check Chevs of the 40s, the filling station, or national chevy they all carry them.

You'll need dropped steering arms too.

3. AustinPhoenix

AustinPhoenix
    from Austin

No, I'm actually looking for dropped spindles. Everything stays the same for steering, a new bracket would be required from disc brakes, but other than that, no dropped steering arms, springs, etc would be needed.

I don't think they exist...

Fatman's is closed so I can't call, but it looks like those are just dropped uprights that need the new springs and steering stuff too....

4. fiftyfiveford

fiftyfiveford

Dropped spindles don't exist for the stock front end on a 49-54 chevy.
    Dropped uprights move the spindle location up, they are essentially the same as dropped spindles, but 2 pieces instead of 1.

5. He is right. When using dropped uprights, dropped steering arms are a must.

6. Like the others said, there is no such thing as dropped spindles for 49-54 chevs. You can go the fatman route or have yours modified by Buffalo ent. Cheaper than fatmans also. For dropped steering arms if you can find a pair of 54 steering arms they are already 5/8 lower than the early ones so they will work to eliminate the bumpsteer. Todd

7. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Search e-z-i ... he recently posted tech building a set for his '49.

8. lonewolf1

lonewolf1

I used the fatman stuff a year ago on my 52,Uprights and steering arms.WE cut the stock springs by a coil .They work nice

9. AustinPhoenix

AustinPhoenix
    from Austin

will a disc brake conversion work with dropped uprights or am I looking at fabbing a bracket?

10. fiftyfiveford

fiftyfiveford