Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage 2009 Shifters Viva Las Vegas car show ~ Thanks to all that attended !

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by axle, Apr 14, 2009.

1. axle

axle
    from Drag City

The Lifters have always been a staple at VLV. Was kind of strange not seeing you all there - BBQ'ing and drinking under a canopy. Next year for sure ! Tell my buddy Miguel i said hello.

2. oilslinger53

oilslinger53
    from covina CA

those arent carbs, they're parascopes :D

3. PAUCHO

PAUCHO

Thanks Shifters for a great time......what a blast !.....see ya next year !...

4. Thanks for putting on a great show! This is the second year my wife and I have attended your show It was a great time! The quality of the cars seemed better this year. Someday Id like to actually like to bring a car out there instead of a plane ticket who knows maybe the heap will be done next year.

5. solos10

solos10
    from so.cal

Alex I had a blast at the show!!! I'll tell ya friday afternoon was looking grim for your bro gettin up there and all, I'm just glad everything worked out. Your bro has been a tremendous help with getting my roadster on the road.....almost there about 3wks left.

6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My take is that Axle and his crew are trying to weed out the rolling death traps that seem to show up at certain events. They are easy to Identify as they have all the crap hanging them but very little thought put into safety or actual driveability.
    I don't think anyone (at least here) has an issue with decently built rod or tcustom that doesn't have any of the spendy stuff and may dissapear in the croud a bit because it doesn't really draw attention to it's self. The car may show a lack of skill in a few places and won't have fancy paint or alunimum anything and has Les Schwab tires instead of Cokers but it's safe and gets the wheels driven off it.
    The other issue that I have seen at "Model year prior to" shows is that there is always one guy who attempts to bring a later model rig in for one reason or another and often pre registers an earlier model vehicle and hopes he can slide in with his later model because he prepaid.

7. LoSoto

LoSoto

Ok....gotta come over next year! Any word on the dates for next year? What with the price of airfares these days, I'd be silly not to.
    Looks like an amazing mix and more than enough to satisfy my custom fetish.
    Looking forward to it already!!!!!

8. axle

axle
    from Drag City

Easter weekend

April 1-4 2010

9. Ian Berky

Ian Berky

Right on bro!! Thanx a lot!! im driving the chevy and im stoked!! It's gonna be so shiny and upholstered!!

Ian

10. axle

axle
    from Drag City

Is this Jared?

11. BoulevardBomber

BoulevardBomber

Great Job Shifters !!!! My first and certainly not my last visit, if only I thought my truck would make it there ! oh well fly me Delta

12. DirtySanchez

DirtySanchez
    from So Cal

Seeing him tomorrow and will pass the word. Thanks again, Stan

13. VonDust

VonDust

Hey hey! Axle, Mike and I just made it home tonight around 7:00 in Indy. What a time and many stories to tell. Thanks for having us and we'll be back next year for sure... hopefully with a few less issues as you know about our trip.
    Suggestion... When you do long distance, try using MapQuest to figure out what people traveled, from their home straight to Vegas, not driving all over the country to just rack up some miles. MapQuest it, Chicago to Vegas is 100 miles SHORTER than Indy to Vegas, not 400 more. Just a thought and suggestion.
    But really, thank you for everything and puting on a great show. We'll spread the good word and be back next year!

14. axle

axle
    from Drag City

Glad you guys are back !

15. sik_kreations

sik_kreations

haha weber painted that!

if it wasnt for him, i wouldnt be custom painting!

16. sik_kreations

sik_kreations

ive shot many o paint jobs in that booth!

is there still alot of metal flake overspray buried in the ground? i flaked out a bunch of the tikis and got the floor coverd with all kinds of flake.

17. tiger mark

tiger mark
    from burbank,il

Glad you guys made it home alright.We just arrived home yesterday(Sat. April 18 th).We did not drive to VIVA to rack up miles to win a trophy. along the way, my wife DIAMOND49, and myself (tiger Mark) wanted to show 1LOWTRUCK & BTB DERBY Route 66 Americana and visit people that invited us to their homes & shops who were fellow HAMBERS. ( RHINO,
    METALMAN & FLAT TOP BOB.) Which did pull us off the beaten path.
    For us, it was about the adventure, camaradene and friendships along the way. And if you win a trophy (2nd Place) its a added bonus. Hats off to the HAMB for making friendships that never would happen if not for them. Looking forward to future road trips, such as The Road Rocket Rumble, and Rust Revival.Maybe there should be a contest for the most miles in a year?:)

18. VonDust

VonDust

I am not trying to get into a pissing contest with anyone on a trophy, or trying to tell me about having an adventure, camaraderie, a test between man and his machine, or whatever. What I just said earlier was a suggestion on how to do something, not a bitch. Mike and I visited Route 66 Americana as well and loved it, we visited Metalman on the way back with a blown head gasket also, went on to California and made many other stops to every single parts store and junkyard imaginable. But mileage should be the way the bird flies, straightest, most direct route, its been like that for many shows for the past 40 years as my father mentioned.
    Glad to hear you guys made it home safely as well. I'll just make sure next year we'll drive down to Florida before we go to Viva, If that's the way long distance works nowadays.
    Axle, you guys did a great job and you're well respected for it from the guys here in Indy. Can't wait to you guys again soon.
    And I'm tired of hearing guys out there saying that they're too old to make the long trip... just do it. You're only as old as you make yourself feel. All I've been reading and hearing is... "Only to be young again..." Just do it before you end up in a nursing home saying how much you would have loved to have made the drive. There is no time like the present. :cool:
    See you guys at the Rumble!

Last edited: Apr 19, 2009
  19. Hey Axle,

Do you have any other pics of this RPU?

[​IMG]

...other than this one?

[​IMG]

I would be intersted in other shots. Has it been featured anywhere?

Thanks!

Attached Files:

20. axle

axle
    from Drag City

Ha ha ha ha. That last picture is hilarious ! Don't have pictures of it.

21. Diamond49

Diamond49

And I'm tired of hearing guys out there saying that they're too old to make the long trip... just do it. You're only as old as you make yourself feel. All I've been reading and hearing is... "Only to be young again..." Just do it before you end up in a nursing home saying how much you would have loved to have made the drive. There is no time like the present. :cool:
    See you guys at the Rumble![/QUOTE]
    My respect to the both of you driving to Vegas. Just do it is the right additude. Looking forward to the RRR in June.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2009
  22. Awesome Show, as usual!

Thanks for making this all possible.

Here's a couple of pics of a truck I saw there that, for my tastes, just nailed the chop and stance:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks Again Axle!

23. Johnny C.

Johnny C.

That was a sweet truck!!! It was one of my favorites there.

24. krome

krome

Get show, I was there with My 48 Buick and my truck - see you next year

Attached Files:

25. BAD*56*BUICK

BAD*56*BUICK

had a great time. saw a lot of cool rides that i liked "traditional or not". i'm a cool lookin car guy. not so much worried about the style. the sad part is of all the post and pix, not one of my 50 buick roadmaster. not so much a rod, more just og. had a crowd around it all day and the only straight 8 that i saw in the whole show. hope to have my custom 56 buick there next year and that Axle will let it in. (on a side note. Alxe your 36 is bad ass). on a down note it broke on the way home and had to be towed but i live in vegas and its fixed now.

26. axle

axle
    from Drag City

Thanks for the compliment. I'm sure your Buick will be fine. We're gonna do away with post 1934 fenderless cars, wacky ratty stuff,etc. Next year everyone has to submit at least one photo for approval.
    See ya down the road.

27. srosa707

srosa707
    from Sacramento

Wasnt that supposed to happen the last 2 years?

28. elrobo818

elrobo818

i keep kickin myself for not goin...

29. DrivenDead

DrivenDead

Axle,

We had a GREAT time! Thanks to all of the other clubs that came and hung out, shared a beer.... fun times! We had the Driven Dead beer graveyard in front of our plaque. It was the first time I have driven since I moved to Oregon from SLC... let me tell you WHAT A DRIVE! Great fun. We thoroughly enjoyed it, and will definitely be back. I have been there for a long time, and although not as convienient as the old roof top... Much more enjoyable! Great job guys! Our cars wern't were we hoped for them to be this year, but they got us there!

Here are some of our pics!

Attached Files:

30. axle

axle
    from Drag City

Yes but its been word of mouth. It is now officially on the VLV website. In addition , like previously stated, photo's have to now be sent in for approval.
    Were you there this year?