Register now to get rid of these ads!

OT/ Miller welders?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rustypipes, Apr 15, 2009.

1. rustypipes

rustypipes
    from san jose

Looking to by a new 220 welder for frame work etc...

Im caught between the miller 212 and the miller 211.

the only real difference I see duty cycle and IPM are a little different and 212 is $600+ more, wondering if anyone had any experience with either

Thanks Phil

2. Phil,

Did you try garage journal. Might get some good input there. I know you did not mention it but the 180 autoset is real popular. Todd

3. MarkL

MarkL
    from Tacoma WA

4. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

buy the bigest amps you can afford . i have an older 200 amp miller its great, but size does matter.

5. i have a 185 millermatic.....works great.

6. junkyardroad

junkyardroad
    from Colorado

I had the same idea. But I decided to wait (long time) and go up a notch and get the 252. I enjoy a lot of other hobbies and have decided that I must use the biggest tool that is small enough for the job, every time.

7. krooser

krooser

I have a 175 but I wish I had a bigger one... but just for the occasional thick stuff.

8. Don B.

Don B.
    from IL

Yeah me too; would like to pick up a spoolgun attatchment for it eventually. (so i can do the occasional small alum. job rather than having to rely on my welding teacher buddy to do alum for me)

9. Kenneth S

Kenneth S

I have a millermatic 180, and a miller syncrowave 180sd, what ever model you decide on getting, millers are hard to beat.

10. I have the 180 Autoset, It kicks ASS!

11. NM Sandrail

NM Sandrail
    Member Emeritus

Hi Everyone,
    I bought a gasoline engine (16 hp) powered Miller welder from the neighbor to the south, who just bought a new Miller. Was on a trailer, but he needed to reuse it. I need some assistance in finding model # to perhaps download an instruction book and parts manual. There is no markings left on the front panel and no s/n or model #... Tags are there but sun does it's damage out here over the years. Even the front control panel markings are faded off. Welder works fine. Need it to build additional shop space out here. Any thoughts on model#? Attached are 4 photos..

Have a great day!...duane (NM Sandrail)

Attached Files:

12. okiewelder

okiewelder
    from central Ok

Hello, it looks like maybe a bluestar or a roughneck. I used to have a bluestar and it would weld lo/hi 5/32 rod. It would actually do a pretty fair job of it too. I replaced with a old SA200. Good luck on the machine. You maybe able to find some info on it Bills welder repair's website. He is in OKC and is a welth of info. http://billswelderrepair.com/

13. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

My wife would like it if I had a bigger one, I'm perfectly happy the way it is.

14. walker

walker

Both are fine machines that will do a good job on this type of work. You will be happy using either one.

15. 40Chevy

40Chevy
    from california

I have a 220V Millermatic 210. It's rocks, digital displays, good feeding, and comes with a dummy video if you don't know how to set it up. Couldn't be happier. One thing to think of, Lincoln doesn't have a repair center in california, Miller does, One reason I went this route.

16. Last August I purchased a new MILLERMATIC 211 to finish boxing the frame on my '36 Ford.
    My 20+ year old 110v SOLAR was pretty good for tacking in sheet metal patch panels but useless for doing frames.
    I've only used the MILLER 3 times since last summer as I had to spend a few months in a cast after tangling with a snow blower before Christmas.
    I felt pretty good this weekend so I wheeled my '32 out in the driveway to continue construction of a roll cage plus I finished the '36's frame.
    My MILLERMATIC 211 will weld anything, anytime for me.
    I'm a novice welder (crappy) and my 211 makes me look good in most people's eyes.
    I'd buy other MILLER products in a heart beat.
    I'm saving now for a plasma cutter to do more damage around the garage
    Probably be a MILLER too.

17. NM Sandrail

NM Sandrail
    Member Emeritus

Hi Everyone,
    Thanks for the help.. It indeed was a Blue Star unit, by Miller. I found a lightly stamped S/N in the front panel and searched in the Blue Star lineup and found the manual and parts list...so am all set... Going to try to order a new front panel that has the settings printed/painted on it.. It was made in July 1979... Thanks again, duane (NM Sandrail)

HEY JOE COOL...
    I used to live across the river from you in Plattsmouth, NE for 21 years...

Last edited: Mar 22, 2010
  18. I've got a 211 and I really like it. I've been using it (and my dad) to weld in floor sections into my dad's chevy. The MVP is so handy... I don't have 220v in my garage yet or at my dads but it's no big deal = plug into 110v and and you're welding. When the day comes that I'm doing some bigger projects then I'll add a 220v line to my garage.

19. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

I just got a new 212 . im happy

20. Country Gent

Country Gent
    BANNED

Yeah looks like a ROUGHNECK. I have one with a 12hp Kohler. Nice machine. Go to the MILLER website and try and match up what you have. I was able to get a manual for mine. (Country gent)

21. FalconMan

FalconMan
    from Minnesota

Bigger is better, buy the 212. I just upgraded from a 185 to a new in the box 210 (same as a 212) and love it.

22. I bought a 212 last year and i,m very happy i did.

23. glassguy

glassguy

i have a new 210.. cant say i love it. its graet on heavy stuff as long as you have a perfect ground. but when doing shhet metel it is very fussy!! on #2 its its not enough, #3 it burns thru.. ive been trying diferant wire , wire speeds everything . i just dont like it.. my old hobart beta mig dinasoar was so much better! of course you always need a good ground, but the hobart just clip it anywhere and it would burn thru undercoat.. or turn it down and do jewelers work on tin.. everyone ive talked to has good luck with theres, and ive used them, and liked em.. maybe i just got a 1600.00 $ lemon???