Register now to get rid of these ads!

Calling all body and paint guys

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jt1949, Apr 16, 2009.

1. jt1949

jt1949

Hey Guys,

I have welded in a few patch panels on my 49'. I have heard different opinions at my local Paint jobber. Have any of you used a product called "all metal"? If so, What is the best prep for good adhesion? The jobber here says to go directly to the metal. I have also heard to epoxy the area first. I am using a PPG CRE-CT epoxy. I will most likely run the car in that finish for a couple of years. Just wanted to get some more input before I go forward.

thanks
    jason

2. Cad La Dave

Cad La Dave
    from CA

I've used all meal... Just brush it on a couple of time. Turns black, primer it up and you're good to go...

3. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

I don't know if I'd use CRE-CT as an underlayment, that's more of an industrial coating. You also said you were going to run it in "that" for a few years, now I'm assuming you're using it as a primer, am I correct...??

As for epoxy, I prefer PPG's DP50...it goes on easier and lays down better...

R-

Last edited: Apr 16, 2009
  4. jt1949

jt1949

Thanks 40dude. A friend of mine, that restores quite a few cars. Turned me on the CRE-CT epoxy. "They" like it much better than the DPLF stuff. I have sprayed one fender. It laid down great. It has a 7 day window to re-coat. After that they recommend you scuff it to give it some tooth.
    But anything that you have heard about the product would be great to know. Have you heard that "other" products don't adhere?
    And Yes, The plan was to run that as a sealer primer for a while.

5. Frank & Sara

Frank & Sara

The only time I use All-Metal is when I think there may be a small pin hole in the patch weld.
    If there is a small pin hole, the All-Metal will not wick the moisture like regular filler will.
    As far as prep 40-80 grit to bare metal then slap it on.
    I still epoxy (SPI) first after 80 grit to metal, then wipe a small thin coat over the weld area. Knock it down and do your regular body filler over that.
    USC All-Metal and Evercoat Metal 2 Metal are a pain to sand so I use them sparingly.

6. Terraizer

Terraizer

I'am a Auto Collision tech and I use CRE-CT all the time, its good stuff, I wouldn't leave that as a top coat though, it gets chaulky pretty fast from the exposure to the sun and weather. You need at least a 2.5 tipped gun to spray it. All metal is good but can be a pain to sand down. I normally use some Long strand fiberglass filler, its much easier to work and then skim it with some Rage extreme filler. I sand to bare with 80 grit and then epoxy and then filler.

7. jt1949

jt1949

Terraizer,

Do you have any trouble with top coating the cre-ct? Do you just have to sand to break the surface to give it tooth. And what building primer do you use atop of it? Thanks
    for the info.

jason

8. LarzBahrs

LarzBahrs
    from Sacramento

what the hell is all metal?? If it is what i think it is i need some bad..

9. sloppyjoe

sloppyjoe

Don't use all-metal. It's basically fiberglass with a bunch of aluminum shavings in it. When the sheet metal you put it on gets hot and cold a few times, it bubbles and delams...especially on mig welded seams. If you must use it, use it with the hardener it comes with....don't sub regular MEK resin catalyst. All -Metal is like sleeping with your sister, its really easy to do...but nothing but bad things happen afterwards.

10. LarzBahrs

LarzBahrs
    from Sacramento

thats a sick but understandableway of putting it:p

11. Chaoticcustoms

Chaoticcustoms

id just use some short strand fiberglass filler in place of that, i dont liek it personally, you cant tell if its stirred up or not, sands like shit, and is expensive, i havent had any issues delaminating or anything i just dont like it. But i prep with 50 or 36 grit on a roloc at low rpm.

12. bbc 1957 gasser

bbc 1957 gasser

all metal sucks use duraglass ..ive used grey cre i had a hell of a time trying to sand it .