Register now to get rid of these ads!

30 Model A - 4 speed or auto?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Joatha, Apr 16, 2009.

1. Joatha

Joatha

I've been having this debate with myself about whether or not to put a 4 speed in my Model A when I get around to building it (which will occur right after I off-load some property). Here's what I am building....

1930 Model A Sport Coupe (yes, I like them)
    354 Hemi

I plan to do this one as a high boy - no fenderless of course. I haven't decided what seats to use. I like the bombers though.

Here's some important info....
    I'm 6-4 and about 250. I have long legs (36 in inseam).

I had planned to put the pedals as far forward as I could and the seats as far back (and still be able to put my arm out the window). I'd honestly prefer a 4 speed as I think that's what a real hot rod should have. But, I am concerned that I am going to end up a bit squished and that operating the clutch is going to require some contorting. I already have occasional knee issues (due to a lot of running when I was younger). I don't need to exacerbate that situation.

Anyone else of my size have some advice?

2. gahi

gahi
    from Moab, UT

4 spd, just because its more fun!

3. Joatha, I for one would like a 4 speed just because they are way more fun, but I have the same problem as you do except I got you beat by about 45 pounds. I had a model A sedan and there isn't much legroom. If you do go with an auto - get something like a B&M slam shifter. I have one in my Fairlane and it's the next best thing.

4. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

why not a four speed auto? im shorter and in a roadster PU and its stock its not that theres not enough room to use the clutch its that theres no were to put my foot when not useing it.

5. pan-dragger

pan-dragger

i vote for the 4 speed manual. its just not a hotrod without 3 pedals.

6. purdysd

purdysd

I put a T-5 5-speed behind a full house flatty, removed the stock seat frame, removed the package shelf, and then moved the seat back 6-inches. I'm 6'1' with a 36" inseam also, and I've got lots of room with the stock seat now. Just my opinion, but I think a hot rod should have 3 pedals on the floor.

7. dynaflash

dynaflash
    from South

I am 5'11 and weight 195. I built a 28 sedan with a 4" top chop. The problems that I ran into when making the car fit me were that with the steering column where it needs to be, there is no real room for a clutch pedal. Not to say that it can't be done because I know that it can, but it is VERY tight. Also to be comfortable while driving, I have the seat back a few inch past the door post. You can still hang your arm out the window but you have to lean forward a little. I have driven the wheels off this car for a dozen years now and love it. Good luck with your build.

8. hotrod-Linkin

hotrod-Linkin

i wonder if these guys ask their friends before they make love to their wives.put the tranny in itbthat you want. we're not driving it.

9. dynaflash

dynaflash
    from South

My vote is yes....make love to your wife.

10. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Use a 4 speed auto, you will be happier.

11. onlychevrolets

onlychevrolets

I vote 4 speed...or 5 speed T-5 . I have a T-5 behind a 55 Buick 264.

12. 60'shotrod

60'shotrod

4 Speed is the way to go, I reckon!

Nick.

13. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Whatever you use, you can learn more about adapters for your Hemi by clicking on the HEMI Tech banner/picture in my signature line. Lots of options.

Since you are not channeling the car I would go with a 4-speed. Muncie, T-10, Super T-10's are all good choices as well as MANY other manual transmission including cool top loader stuff.

If you go Auto you will have lots of choices with the short bell block you have.

14. Jalopy-Joe

Jalopy-Joe
    from Idaho

I am a tall guy too, but a descent bench seat and a 4 speed will work! If you want to use bomber seats and sit low to the floor....Automatic all the way.

15. Chris Cissel

Chris Cissel
    from Fresno Ca

I am 6'4" 190 lbs. I have a 1929 Model A sport. The longer doors and sans roof help. THe clutch is not problem for me and its channeled 4 inches. Go 4 speed

Last edited: Apr 16, 2009
  16. Armstrong

Armstrong

I'm building an A coupe right now with a floor shifted 3spdw/od. I have the car done to the point that all major parts are in place(steering column and 16"steering wheel,pedals,shifter,seats). The car is chopped 2 1/2". My son who is 6'5" 300 lbs wil be able to drive the car without any trouble. I spent alot of time getting the relationship between the seat wheel and pedals right,and it has paid off.

17. DE SOTO

DE SOTO

4spd is the ONLY way to go !!!!

Good luck fitting in that Sports Coupe, I am 6' 215 and i dont fit well in mine.

But then, Its chopped 6" & Channeled 6" :eek:

Why run a Hemi if your gonna go Automatic ?

Automtics are for the 700 Club ....

You know S/B 350 + Turbo 350 = Ho Hum 700 :D

18. hotrodtom

hotrodtom

My sonn-in-law is also 6-4 and about 240 (I'm, er, not) and he is physically unable to drive my stock '30 coupe. The one time he tried, he had to wrap his right leg around the shift lever to try to reach the (again, stock) Model A gas pedal. He had problems not only with the length of his legs but with his size 13-14 feet. I like a three pedal car as much as the next guy, but I sure hope you will try to fit into a Sport Coupe before you jump off into a project that will not be a pleasurable driver for you.
    Fearless

19. SlamIam

SlamIam

Ditto. There is nothing like going through the gears on a back road on a summer evening. 30-31 has more pedal room than 28-29.

20. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

I drove mine with a 4 speed, 6'2, 230 lbs, 38 length pants (inseam?), it was '31 Coupe 4" chop on the rails with the seat set back.

21. Joatha

Joatha

:rolleyes:

22. Joatha

Joatha

Thanks guys....it sounds like I SHOULD be able to put in a 4 speed but I'll have to plan it out pretty carefully. I probably should consider a bench seat to make that happen. That should sit me up a little bit and give me more legroom. I can live with that. Thanks for the help.

23. 5window

5window

I'd love a 4/5 speed,but i don't know where I'd put the clutch. I'm not tall,but kinda wide, have a 3.5" chopped '31 coupe.Not much leg room with only two pedals. I'm running Fiero seats set right on the floor and pretty much set back as far as they'll go. All of my other cars have been stick since 1969 so I am a standard man (Well,except for my commuting car which only comes auto).

I'd suggest finding several cars that look like what you want to build,wear immaculately clean clothes and shoes and very kindly ask the owners if you can sit in them. Then you'd get some idea of what you can do.

24. Zookeeper

Zookeeper

A buddy of mine put a Ford top-loader in his '32 pickup, and used a Jeep shifter so it looks totally vintage. The Jeep top plate/shifter bolted right on.

25. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

26. If I was as big as you are I wouldn't be building a Model A in the first place. Comfort trumps cool and in a later model car, you can have both.

27. SLAMIT

SLAMIT

How about and autostick???? hehe. duh 4 speed = lots of fun and a strong leg.

28. jamesgs4

jamesgs4
    from denver

Buy a camry if you want comfort. Sheesh tell us about your "inner feelings" next.:)

29. twofosho

twofosho

If you decide to go with a manual, you might as well put a Mother Mopar A-833 in it!

Use the long tailshaft version. It will come with a set of shifter mounting bosses right up against the maincase (the only modern trans that would get the shifter closer to the firewall would be the above mentioned Ford toploader with the maincase mounted shifter, and good luck finding the only made for a couple of years overdrive version), or have a set there, as well as another set back by the rear shaft seal. The overdrive pickup versions are pretty common, were made for over ten years, and usually come with cast iron main case. They have a 3.09 low to get you out of the hole and a .72 overdrive for cruising. Although this spreads the gears out, I would think just about any HEMI would have enough torque to carry you without bogging, especially in something as light as a model A.

The five gears of a T-5 sound great too, until you combine them with sticky tires, a heavy foot, and HEMI torque, and find them doing an imitation of the early Ford three speed toploader put in the similar situation (I. E. scattered all over the ground).

30. LongnLow

LongnLow

we're doin your wife? i'm in!