Register now to get rid of these ads!

First timer... interested in a car ('56 Olds)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by thedivision, Apr 12, 2009.

1. yorgatron

yorgatron
    Member Emeritus

I have a '54 Oldsmobile myself,the transmission is much better than the one in the '56,the engine has a few less horspower,but I don't think you'd notice very much.
    Offer the guy $4000 and see what he says,ya never know...

2. thedivision

thedivision
    from Canada

They're both 2-speeds, right? He claims there's a 330 in there.... I thought the rockets in those years were all 324s.

3. rocket8

rocket8
    from antioch CA

well....id go for either. i own a 52 olds myself. if you're looking to do some motor dress up and stuff like that....go for the 56 cuz there is more out there for a rocket 324 motor (in my searches). there is only so much you can find for a olds 303. either way....its a tough decision, they are both fantastic oldsmobiles! keep us updated on what you end up doing!

and i do believe the 303 v8 was stock until 54?

4. yorgatron

yorgatron
    Member Emeritus

'54 was the 1st year for the 324.

5. 61TBird

61TBird

I'd go with the '54. You always have more room to negotiate with a "private party" sale and its closer to you.
    With the '56 3-4 hours away AND it being at a "stealership",you might end up with some hidden problems that will cost you more in the end.

6. thedivision

thedivision
    from Canada

Good info.. I'll have to confirm that it's a 324 myself. I'm just worried about what's hiding under that repaint. Thanks guys.

7. so what does he have it listed for?

8. thedivision

thedivision
    from Canada

He said he wants 6000 on the phone.

6000 CAD = 4970 USD

The dealer with the '56 is asking 6500 CAD = 5 384 USD

These prices are both before any negotiations.

9. Squablow

Squablow

Either of those cars seems like a decent purchase for the asking price minus a little negotiating. I like the style of the '56 better but that's just personal preference. I'd say pick the one you like best style-wise, offer 5000 loonies and see what they say.

10. Sir Woosh

Sir Woosh

I've had a half a dozen Oldsmobiles from 55 to 57 and was always impressed with them. Still have two 55 Oldsmobiles. If you miss this one, don't give up. I bought the one in my avatar for $900 a few years ago with the C-kit on it. Never had any engine or trans problems yet. Good luck with yours!

11. Justin5000

Justin5000

Car looks good man. I wouldn't give him too much for it. 5k at the very most. Got to keep in mind that a 4 door post doesn't go for very much, so don't spend very much.
    You have the right idea though, regarding what you plan on doing to it. Lower it and slap some whites on it and it should be right as rain. Anything else you do, it should be for minimal cost, ie: shit you can do yourself. Bottom line is, whatever you do, if it's your first old boy and you don't plan on making it a keeper, don't get in too deep money wise.

12. Justin5000

Justin5000

Oh, and keep us informed on if you get and what you get the seller down to. Haggle the shit out of him!!

13. thedivision

thedivision
    from Canada

The guy with the '54 said he'll take $4131 ($5000 CAD).

The bumper is pitted, and the paint is pretty flat and pretty rough to the touch (it was repainted in '86). It runs and drives straight.

He did the brakes, shocks, and other general maintenance. Worth 4k in your guys' books?

14. thedivision

thedivision
    from Canada

Also, the underbody is extremely clean, but there are various rust bubbles in places (including the rear quarter seams).

15. Squablow

Squablow

Do you think the paint can be color sanded and buffed, or is it shot? Bubbling out pretty bad, or just a couple minor spots? If the car needs a full repaint then that doesn't seem like a screaming deal to me.

A few paint flaws and in need of a buffing would be OK, but if you're going to have to repaint it then I'd probably hold out.

16. greasy50chevy

greasy50chevy

4000-6000 grand depending on what else comes along

17. Ramblur

Ramblur

Does the A/C actually work? Looks like a newer compressor on there. If the
    A/C works I usually see that as a sign that the PO was NOT afraid to spend a
    few$$ on this car and its probably fairly well taken care of. Your mileage
    may vary.

18. thedivision

thedivision
    from Canada

I have a feeling the paint was shot. The bubbles were back where the quarters meet the read window and were pretty big. Floors and rockers were real solid, though. Also, the bumper was real pitted which was a major turnoff for me, so I let her go.

Still gotta check out the one 3 hours away. The dealer said he'll take approx $5000 USD (6000 CAD) on the phone. He said that's how much he has into it.

I could also look into the US market, but that is pretty dangerous as these are old cars. Patience is a virtue I guess.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2009
  19. Hot Rod Bob

Hot Rod Bob
    from T-ville Ky

20. 56Ponchorelli

56Ponchorelli

I only payed 2500 for my 56 poncho 2 door post and drove it home 100 miles away. I wouldnt pay too much for it unless it is worth that much to YOU.

21. Justin5000

Justin5000

Truth!!