Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Ford Thunderbolts Photos Wanted

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Troublemaker427, Oct 11, 2006.

1. CENTURION

CENTURION
    from SEATTLE

Great INFO!

Regarding the original 1964 based Thunderbolt:

Later on did they ever run the 427 SOHC? Is so, what years?

Did any run Hilborn Injection?

Did any run the M/T Crossram 2x4 Intake?

Thank You.

2. femadman

femadman

Lawrence Parkan Collection
    [​IMG]
    Clester Andrews "999" Wickersham Ford
    [​IMG]
    Butch Leal vs Hank Taylor
    [​IMG]
    Don McMillian Ford vs Don Gay
    [​IMG]
    Butch Leal
    [​IMG]
    Butch Leal
    [​IMG]
    Butch Leal vs Hank Taylor
    [​IMG]
    Don Millian Ford
    Most of these photos are from Six Flags Raceway,Victoria,Tx the old Aloe Airfield

3. femadman

femadman

[​IMG]
    Don Millian vs Don Gay
    Robert Young Collection
    Six Flags Raceway,Victoria,Tx Aloe Airfield <!-- / message -->

4. thanks2frank

thanks2frank
    from utah

5. jeffh355

jeffh355

THE WIFES CLONE. She loves this car!!! Sorry, it's the only pix I have at the office.

Attached Files:

6. Kentuckian

Kentuckian

Let's not give up on Thunderbolts yet. Any other photos out there?

7. FNG newbee here from South Bend, Indiana, where Dick Brannans T-bolt and Falcon came from. I've been a Brannan fan since Osceola first got a drag strip back in 1957. The early photo of the T-bolt with out the birds on the fender is one I had never seen before, but there is one other birdless photo in the March 1964 CAR LIFE Magazine article on what they call The Drag -O- Matic 427 Fairlane. Their photos were taken of the #1 and #2 car at the Ford test track I believe. Their opening picture is of Dicks 427 Fairlane (before the Thunderbolt name was coined) in front, with the clover leaf hood and fiberglass bumper with the bird already installed, neatly lettered and with M-T Raider wheels on the front that Brannan took with him to put on for the photo shoot. You can't say that Dick wasn't a real showman, as he was well aware of the value of a classy photograph. The birdless Car Life photo is with the continuation of the article on page 28 if you can find the issue.

Last edited: May 3, 2009
  8. A cool pic taken from Dragfest '09 Thread....

[​IMG]

9. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

The SOHC debuted at the 1965 Winternationals in Mustangs and Comets. As far as I know, all the Thunderbolts had 427 High-risers. Some of them might have gotten SOHC motors in later years.

I am sure the crossram and fuel injection were used. Actually, both are documented in the pictures of this post or others on the HAMB.

10. While the photo did'nt scan off very well, see If you know who is at the wheel of this Thunderbolt racing in Terre Haute, Indiana

Tom

Attached Files:

11. Thats "Mad Dog" Bob Glidden in the original Gas Ronda T-bolt. Car was also painted red, white and blue at one time. I believe Bob never owned it but Harold Stout did. Now owned by Willie D. Smith in Florida in much the same condition as the photo.

12. Another one for ya

Attached Files:

13. CENTURION

CENTURION
    from SEATTLE

Hello:

Attached and two vintage FE scattershield pics:

Please list which was the last year FORD used the deep starter pocket scattershield. I can envision a interference with the deep starter pocket scattershield and the 64 Fairlane firewall. Thank you kindly.

Attached Files:

14. Are you interested in selling the RC bellhousing? It would be for a real Thunderbolt restoration.

Thanks

15. CENTURION

CENTURION
    from SEATTLE

Attached is a pic of a genuine RC Aluminum FE Scattershield. Notice the single 4 speed narrow bolt pattern.

Attached Files:

16. CENTURION

CENTURION
    from SEATTLE

Would the original 1964 Thunderbolts been equiped with a chargeing system? If so, Generator or Alternator? Would any sheetmetal need to be removed to mount a passenger side chargeing system?

Thank You again.

17. full house Mouse

full house Mouse

I watched this car run at Keystone Drag Strip many weekends. I was winning Jr Stock Eliminator each week end and Jack Sund and his buddies were burning up the strip. I wanted a Thunderbolt so bad I moved down to Grand Forks North Dakota and enrolled in the UND thinking that an education would help me make more money to buy my dream. I later purchased a 66 Ford Fairlane with a 390 I drove it up to Winnipeg Manitoba to race at Keystone Dragways many a week end I always won my class. But sitting here in my house in Phuket Thailand and reading this super cool thread and realizing how little I knew I wish I could find an 66 Ford Fairlane and bring it here to Asia and fix it up as Troublemaker2
    AA/NSS '66 427 Fairlane 9:49 141mph is doing as it gets the old juices going in me and man I would love to have some drag racing fun again. Troublemaker427 thanks for all the great information you make me feel 67years young again. I would love to build a 66 Ford Fairlane like you did Troublemaker427 and show the Thai people what a cool car it is, Cheers !

Last edited: May 6, 2009
  18. full house Mouse

full house Mouse

Yes Jack Sund was killed at Keystone Drag Strip in Winnipeg Manitoba sad a great guy and great driver.

19. full house Mouse

full house Mouse

He broke a rear axle the car went end over end and then rolled the fiberglass totally disintegrated not much protection in spite of being a cool car.

20. Thanks for the log distance kind words!! It's cool to have a fan that far away!!!:) Here are a few more photos of it. Sorry to everyone for being off topic.

Attached Files:

21. 35mastr

35mastr
    from Norcal

There is a local guy here that has 2 real ones. one is a small block and the other is a big block. Both in the same shop.

22. FalconEddie1964

FalconEddie1964

I didn't know you could have a small block Thunderbolt.

23. Kentuckian

Kentuckian

Was Jack Sund the original owner of the T-Bolt? What dealer did the car come from?

24. You couldn't. Dearborn Steel Tubing raced a small block powered '64 Fairlane back in '64-'65. That car was never included in the 100 T-bolt's built numbers. It still exists and is raced now as a NHRA legal SS/B car with a 427. All T-bolts were K-codes 289-271 cars according to their VIN though.

25. FalconEddie1964

FalconEddie1964

Is the 64 Fairlane Super Stocker campaigned by Ray Paquet an original Thunderbolt? He's raced that old Ford for years. I have some pictures of it somewhere I'll try to find and post.

26. I've been told Paquet's car is the old DST Andy Hotten car.

27. Race Artist

Race Artist

Hi all,
    I'm under a tight deadline with some artwork ... I need the color of the lettering on the Whuppett car ... I always assumed that it might be red but I want to get it right. Does anyone know and/or have a color photo? My private email is ... [email protected]
    Thanks.
    Joel