Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Model A roadster progress #4

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chris, Mar 22, 2009.

1. Gaters

Gaters

Don't know that these lights would fit the era you're looking for but I thought they had a cool background and were used on hot rods back then. They are not that common that'd I've seen anyway. The lights were used on the B-17 and other WWII war planes so that they could distinguish friend from foe in flight. They come in three different colors red, green and amber.

Before they went on a mission a combination of lights was determined so that when approached at a distance the light combo would help identify who was approaching.

This set went for $40 on eBay. They are aluminum bodied and can be mounted in the same place you'd do tear drops.

Gaters

Attached Files:

2. hotrodsneverdie

hotrodsneverdie

Chris your very talented at making me jealous.

3. Thanks Gaters, I've seen them before on cars. Although they are of the period I'm going after, I just don't care for them much, but thanks for the idea!!

4. HAHA Dan! Throw one of those cars you have together!

5. Koops

Koops

Just read the last 8 pages of this build up. The Rod looks spot on! Bloody nice score with the deuce grill, completes the package just nice. I'd have gone with the BLCs too. Less chrome is more for the look of this period, even if you go for a 'nice' paint job later on. The tyres really do suit too. Them 17" 'Stones are ace and really give the impression your 'gow' is gowin' somewhere an' fast! Sweet.

Koops.....

6. Thanks for the kind words Koops

7. rick finch

rick finch

I know you are going for a certain era.............the question I have is how much & where are you driving it? Todays traffic would almost dictate having a minimum of two lights for safety sake, even with third brake lights aglow, dumb asses are still rear ending people! Personally I like the period look of a single light, but I'd be real hesitant (read that as chicken) to run it.

8. Didnt get a whole lot done this weekend, was busy with house chores :(

I did get the quarter bottom flange crimmped and rivited. Hope to get the inner braces in and get it primed in the next couple days, then start bolting everything down.

I got a new filler neck on the 32 radiator (it was cut off) and got the hoses on. I hope the next update will be the final one.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. Chris, May I suggest 41 Ford. My Dad has them on his 29 roadster and they look right.

10. Dale, I can't place the tailights on your Dad's car, got any pics??

11. 60'shotrod

60'shotrod

Chris, Any progress is GOOD progress in my book!

Nick.

12. Got the quarter finished up and all the new braces in. Primed and ready to go. Also got the sill plates in as well. It's all down hill frm here :D

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. -Brent-

-Brent-

And the fronts are?

Great job by the way!

14. McFly

McFly

lookin' good Chris...can't wait for the first youtube video!

15. Fronts are 5.25/5.50x17 Firestones

16. Yeah, me either ;)

17. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

18. matt--8

matt--8

looks awsome! really original its the best way:D:D

19. 60'shotrod

60'shotrod

Chris ''Down hill'' is GOOD, AAAHHH the U-tube question, I was gonna ask that one, but reckoned it would be cheeky!!!!!!Your Roadster is gonna be SOUP-UP for sure!

Nick.

20. spence-d

spence-d

IIIIIIIIIIIIII like it!!!

Is that a deck lid i spy behind the trolly jack? - I remember you were lookin & it looks like you found!

Good time's ahead Hey!!

Spencer.

21. spence-d

spence-d

On second thought - its a bonnet right!
    Those deck lids are particularly elusive!
    Spencer.

22. Yeah, it's a hood top.

I do have a pile of decklid parts- enough to make one so I'll probabl do that. I wouldn't mind finding a nice solid one, but this pile of junky ones stiched together will work for now.

23. Pushed outside:
    [​IMG]

What talight do you guys like more? I am thinking more the bottom style with the plate hanging under the car. Whaddya think?? Note the decklid and panel below are just sitting there, nothing is bolted down, thats why it looks out of shape
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

24. I like the plate hanging down.

25. Brandi

Brandi

Another vote for down.

I have GOT to chop and lean the windshield on mine. ASAP.

26. Gaters

Gaters

27. WEBSTER

WEBSTER
    Member Emeritus
    from Tacoma, Wa

Hi Chris: I replaced the frenched 41 Ford tail light lens that I originally installed when I built the rear panel in the late 70's. I presently have a nice early pair of Bob Drakes 50 Pontiac tail
    lights and coupled with my nos AutoLamp tag light and Tacoma license plate surround it looks good. I am presently agonizing over what to put on the 27 T sedan I am putting together with my pals Red Weaver and Jim Leonard. Your roadster looks great! See you and your dad in Monroe. Terry

"Long Live Hot Rods" Tom Senter 1977

28. spence-d

spence-d

4) I'm for Plate down also...

29. Hot Rod Michelle

Hot Rod Michelle

30. Chris, I will have to ask my Dad if he still has his below decklid filler piece with the cutouts for the 41 tailights. Dad, Do you still have it hanging in the garage? I love that look. It would look great on this heap that Chris is putting together. Any pics Dad?