Register now to get rid of these ads!

Motion Pictures Give Me 8 Minutes...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Apr 14, 2009.

1. Plowboy

Plowboy

That, and at least one "Too Low" roadster. ha ha ha

2. VonMoldy

VonMoldy
    from UTARRGH!

Man that video goes good with Carl Perkins.
    gosh I wish it was that simple today. Or maybe it just seems that way.
    I have a massive craving for a four door Oldsmobile with white walls no hubcaps and a hopped up motor!

3. that was a well spent 8 minutes of my life. nice pins @ the 6 20 mark.

4. My boss is a woman ... my office is right across from hers ... and she totally busted me watching the video ... quickly reminded me about the company's new policy of "no more YouTube on the corporate network" ... but then stood behind me watching the remaining five minutes of the video ... unfortunately, she also read the above quote ... and promptly told me to "Get back to work!" :D

BTW ... very cool video ... thanks for sharing!

5. flamingokid

flamingokid

I'm with you on that one.Far more simple and everybody got along.I think people are coming back around to that way of being.Let the good times roll.

6. phukinartie

phukinartie

That was cool thanks for the ride in the wayback machine!!
    BTW I was born 25 years too late

7. autobilly

autobilly

[Quote Ryan: Was that not just a perfectly elegant example of where we all came from? Those are roots. Those guys built a foundation that has supported over a half century of horsepower… and we watched them do it in just 8 minutes. There is no way in hell your boss can make you do anything more productive than that. Promise.]

Amen!:)

8. BStoltz

BStoltz

Thanks for sharing such an awesome video. it was well worth the time, ........... woulda loved it even more if i could have seen it in person........

9. Midnight340

Midnight340

I was nine yrs old then.... sure woulda loved to be there instead of on a tractor in the field (that was the year I started driving!!)

Great cars... the Henry J/Allstate with no front metal! the mid-engine car, the truck cab rod (or was that a shortened sedan?) Anyway, great stuff.

10. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

Great video. The history of hot rodding in it's true form. I wish more people who are just getting into cars would watch videos like these, along with the guys who think they know everything. I think there'd be a lot more cars built that actually looked right.

11. striper

striper

I still have 12 seconds. What else you got?

12. 3rd Gen Hot Rodder

3rd Gen Hot Rodder
    from Indiana

Ryan,
    Thanks so much for posting. I believe my Grandfather was there with his dragster in 55, but I did not see him or it in the video (I have watched it 3 times now - it will be the best 24 minutes of my day for sure). I know he was there in 56 and 57 (Not sure if it moved to Cordova in 57 or 58). For more info on the dragster, see my signature below.
    Thanks again for posting such a cool video.

13. great piece of film. Thanks Ryan.

Here is some of the official ATAA second annual "WORLD SERIES OF DRAG RACING" program.
    Should be noted, in that time period, there were ATAA, AHRA and NHRA sponsoring drag races.
    Some interesting names in the 1954 winners list.
    Names and addresses could lead to an interesting hunt.

Attached Files:

14. DON_WOW

DON_WOW
    Member Emeritus

I did not miss a minute of of the whole show, even slept in one of the hangers there at the airport. Crestliner and I plus a handful of others were lucky to live here and around this area ----yeah ,,it was a HOTBED of rodding and if you know where to seek out the real old farts it still lives ....

15. glenn33

glenn33
    from Browns, IL

The last couple of years they have been having races at the airport again. It's in conjunction with an annual car show.

16. Great!
    Love it how they all hurry away as soon as they've got their trophys: ''Shit! It's that cop that pulled me the other day!''

17. C-1-PW

C-1-PW

Those are monstrously heavy Budd wheels on the green monster! I'd love to see that thing in person. What a ride!

18. Whatta ya mean Ryan? I was born 20 year later, and I could still hear it. ;,)

19. glenn33

glenn33
    from Browns, IL

20. funnycar

funnycar

Wow, wow, wow... those were the old good days!!!!

21. terrarodder

terrarodder
    from EASTERN PA

Thanks for the memories , I was lucky enoff to be around in that time zone. We ran drags in Allentown PA. back in 55-56. Any of those cars could have been there.

22. glenn33

glenn33
    from Browns, IL

Just got back from this years drags and car show at the old Lawrenceville airport. Not the same as it was in the 50's, but still a few cool cars.
    Had the opportunity to meet Larry McCoy with the red roadster below. Larry is from Vincennes In and was a participant at the events in Lawrenceville back in the 50's. Not the same car, but in his words the one he wanted back then....

Attached Files:

23. glenn33

glenn33
    from Browns, IL

More from the show and drags....

Attached Files:

24. glenn33

glenn33
    from Browns, IL

and a few more.

Attached Files: