Register now to get rid of these ads!

Question about lowering blocks...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by loc8tor, Apr 14, 2009.

1. I see alot of options when it comes to lowering blocks as far as 1, 2, 3, and even 4" drop...but my 47 Dodge has a VERY Narrow leaf spring, most of those listed dont have a width posted. Does anyone know if there are 3" lowering blocks available that are only 2" wide between the U bolts? and the U bolts also look thin compared to what I have seen on ePay and in the Magazines, I figured I would just drill out the plates to make them fit, but cant really do that with the blocks...any suggestions?

2. 35PontiacCoupe

35PontiacCoupe
    from COS

Check with Posies, they might even be the springs you have under there. I have their leafs and they are 2" wide. I bought lowering blocks from them a while ago too, but I only see 2" drop listed. Maybe they stopped making them in other sizes? If you can't find them either, give them a call, I bet they can make them. Plus they're out there in PA with you...

http://www.posiesrodsandcustoms.com/posies-catalog/

3. I had the same problem with my 55 t-bird--2'' springs. I bought some 3'' lowering blocks at auto zone, they say they are 2 1/4 '' wide but they fit on my springs just fine. I haven't checked the u bolts yet so don't know if thats a problem or not.

4. plmczy

plmczy

Loc8tor, I made my own out of 1/4"x2"x2" square tubing. Pretty easy to do, just make sure you center the locating hole and drill it all the way through in one shot. I used a small allen head bolt to locate the axle on top. later shawn
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. iamspencer

iamspencer

Look on 4x4 websites some have hundreds of differnt axle blocks.

6. Make your owm out of hardwood.

7. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

49-51 Mercs have 2" springs.

8. Thanks everyone, I think I may just go the 1/4x2x2 tubing route for now(cause Im a CHEEP SOB).....but will be calling Posies too!

9. If i can chuck my 2c in, if you are going the lowering block route i would put another piece of plate down the length of the block and box the ends to stop it collapsing. Depending on your HP their can be a lot of stress & movement happening back there. I would also consider slapper bars or similar with 2" or bigger lowering blocks to help keep the rear end under control, the bigger the block the more leverage & stress you are placing on everything. Look at the ubolt sizes etc, if they are getting longer should they be getting thicker in diameter too??
    My thought would be to have the springs re-arched, its safer long term and probably no dearer after you do everything else.
    Like i said, just my 2c worth.
    Kevin

10. hoof

hoof

I used 2x3 inch box tubing, and drilled it and used a cap head bolt as a locator. That was a year ago on my '53 Cranbrook (stock flathead 6) and all seems well. I did not box the square tubing.
    CHAZ

11. dart165

dart165

Rod and Kustom supply makes 2-3" blocks for the mopar specific (1 3/4") leaf springs. They are nice and solid, and no modifying nessecary.
    If you dont want to go that route, you can have your rear leafs de-arched.

i used 2" blocks on my 54 savoy, and cut 1 coil outta the front and was surprised how much lower it looks. Truthfullly it rides a bunch better too, since the bias plys dont howl as much around every corner.

12. do you have a phone number for Rod and Kustom Supply?

13. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

Also, chevs of the 40s has them, in case you come find an extra $50 bill. scrap steel is way cheap now.