Register now to get rid of these ads!

my chassis for my new hot rod project *caution* volkswagen inside

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 32coupedeville, Apr 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 32coupedeville

32coupedeville
    from cincy

i built one years ago and it drove fine. had no problems with it. it was set up just like this one with a new chassis. what really get under my skin is when people ask me if that is the kit from speedway. NO i say . look at the the chassis . it is completely custom fabricated. most people just dont get it.

2. abone1930

abone1930

That is awesome work, I like bugs when they are squashed like that :D
    I did the slammed bug thing in highschool, I got my cousin hooked on them and he has never stopped :D
    Awesome VW DUB :)

3. Slowlowrider

Slowlowrider
    from TN

Thats a good looking ride, I am sure that the guy who built the original will be flattered that you have decided to build a tribute.
    http://www.kustomcoachwerks.com/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.ShowItem&g2_itemId=52154
    Oh and by the way if you really have a 48 VW title you could probably sell that for enough to finish the project and then you could just slap any old vin and title on this car. Not being a hater just puttin some 411 out there.:D

4. I like anything that is done well..................THAT is a hot rod.

5. outstanding! luv your wheel selection/application, too~

6. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

That's a neat little car...There's still a couple of guys around here running the v-dub derivitive motors in midgets, and they are still surprisingly competitive .
    One would look really hot exposed on the back of that...

7. retroridesbyrich

retroridesbyrich
    from Central NC

Nice fab and design work.

8. That's what I really like about this site, you can show something thats not "traditional" and still get some good responses for a job well done, an awsome build that dares to be different, is'nt that what hot rodders do.

9. Not my thing, and I was at the forefront of the Cal Look movement in the 70's, but looks like some nice fab work. I question even cutting up an Oval as they do seem to bring good $$. With that title I would have made it look like this;
    <CENTER>[​IMG]</CENTER>

10. Minewithnoshine

Minewithnoshine

Hey Drew, post up a few pics of your other VW ;)

This guy BLEEDS VW!

11. Deadlights

Deadlights

Built the original??? You think Franz was the first ever to build a volksrod? The cars are nothing alike. Franz is chopped and sectioned on a vw pan with a reverse front beam. This one is completely different. Custom one off frame. Ford front axle. It is nothing like "Death." In fact I had seen the volksrod that 32coupedeville built a few years. I am almost positive that it was done and for sale on ebay before Franz had built "Death". That was pretty much the dumbest thing I have read all day.

12. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There is some good detail in the frame but also some things are questionable. The front Z needs some serious work and the way you have the bones attached to the chassis? Thats not how you are going to keep them, Please tell me thats just for mock up??
    Otherwise good work, but I'm a hater of the kraut cars and wonder why one would do so much work on them, or ricers etc etc.

13. Deadlights

Deadlights

how can you even compare a vw to a ricer?

14. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Im not, Im just saying I dont like either.

15. 32coupedeville

32coupedeville
    from cincy

i was going to respond to that post but you did for me and you are pretty much dead on what i was going to say. also my first volks rod that i built was started at the begining of 05 and finished 5 months later. i sold it in 06 and i went out to california.

16. bulletbob

bulletbob
    from Boston

It would appear that you are his forum body guard. Allow me to retort,
    1. No he wasnt the first to build a volksrod.
    2. If you think the cars look "nothing" a like, you should visit your local optician.
    3. As far as the pan VS frame debate, its a moot point as 90% of the people who look at the cars wont notice that.
    4. He built and sold a volksrod before the other guy built death ? Well did he also built that before the other guy built the Creps Volksrod ?, which was more or less the prototype for death.
    5. The dumbest thing you have read all day ?, I guess you dont read much. Since you dont read much may I suggest some google searching, Howard Creps Volksrod, I think you will find it began around the first of August 2005, Death, somewhere around June of 2006, Oh and by the way again since you dont read much, it was one of Hotrod Magazines top ten cars of 2008.
    6. While we are at it lets address the whole 1948 title situation, I would love to see a scan of that title, blur out the VIN and address, and post it up. I know a west coast G that is following this thread and is willing to pay $3000.00 for that title, think about it $3000.00 for a piece of paper, that would buy a lot of black rattle can primer, and enough left over for some red to paint the wheels. Cmon prove me wrong, post up the pics of the ORIGINAL car that was built, and the title, I call BS on the whole thing.
    Oh and yes i am just a troll, I dont even own a car :cool:

17. 32coupedeville

32coupedeville
    from cincy

and here we go rocking the boat . how soon till this is shut down.

18. unclescooby

unclescooby
    from indy

Yeah, nobody gives a shit who built what car first. The point is that only a handful of guys anywhere got off or their asses to build something cool at all. And that is exactly what this is...something cool. And I love the fact that you have a title that everybody else wants. One more reason to hate a player. That car is badass, even if you weren't the first human to breath air. Keep posting pictures of the build. It's fantastic.
    Don't worry, every model a build on here is like someone else's too.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2009
  19. paul waitkus

paul waitkus
    from 01966

I love it --One of these is on my bucket list

20. bulletbob

bulletbob
    from Boston

No reason to shut it down, I actually like your car, and if you did the fab work you have skills. I was just pointing out the similarities, I still call BS on the 48 title, you see I have been on the VW scene since 1970, and a pre 1950 title is almost like the holy grail, so if you actually have one, you have something that is far more important than any volksrod. As far as the link you posted, I have already seen those pics. How abou this, you PM me with pics of the title, tell me your paypal address and I will put $3000.00 in an escrow within 5 minutes of receiving the pics, I fly out to Cincinati, I'd like to see a reds game, and we "trade" titles I have a 55 title I'm not "using" you get the title to the 55 and $3000.00 and I get the title to the 48 and get to see your work in person. I'll even throw in lunch or dinner where ever you want. You think I'm bluffing, send me your paypal address and I will drop a c note in there just for your time and to prove I aint no internet "high roller".

21. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

i so want a 181, so badly. Load up my logs. oh...

22. Thirdyfivepickup

Thirdyfivepickup

I think bulletbob has a little man crush...

*EDIT*

I mean, I really dig the chassis on this! Looks great. Good tip on the wheels.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2009
  23. slippery dave

slippery dave

I like it, you are sure putting alot of work into it for a VW.
    Dave

24. joel torres

joel torres

my words exactly
    i hate when people pick and choose what is a hotrod why can't we all just get along :cool: and enjoy someone's work and vision and not stare at the dent on the floor board under the seat covered with carpet dude thats nice i had a 60's bug a while back and scraped it everywhere

25. airnwater

airnwater

Volksrods...sometimes controversial ! but legit in their own right..

I reckon there are a few landmark cars in this genre
    just like in other types of modified / customised cars
    & many others are copies or evolutions of these...
    just like in other types of modified / customised cars...!!

Fred Hildagos Stink Bug which has been imitated quite a lot but
    still a classic

Hebrod, Hebmueller style roadster ,one of the few completely finished
    cars & with a great coherent look throughout...

Death built by Franz ,ultra low sectioned / channeled / chopped ,exposed engine ,unusual reversed trailin arm vw based front suspension

( Gianni' s Black Baron similar to Death but a bit more raw & better looking imo & with I beam front & taller skinny wheels & no hood...)

All above use vw floorpans ,modified to varying degrees with fabricated crossmember for I beam axle except for Death.

This new car I think takes the Black Baron / Death look a step further towards conventional hotrods with a tubular frame & lots of v.nice fabricated details......& possibly more hamb friendly !

Having said that a vw pan modified is not much different in concept than for example a 32 ford frame modified ? !

At the end of the day anything thats well-built with a coherent look / style is worth checking out.......

26. 32coupedeville

32coupedeville
    from cincy

you took the word right out of my mouth.

and let me answer a few more questions that have been raised:

there is not enought money to buy my 48 vw title , and yes dont worry it is in my name and will stay that way.
    this 48 volkswagen is not for sale .
    between my dad and i from our shop have at least 200+ cars on the road since 1970.
    we have driven our cars ( and customer cars ) to the west coast many times with out any major problems.
    i have a welding back ground ( went to school for welding, had union workers lives hanging off of some of my work ,have been welding since i was 8 yo )and can fab just about anything i need or want .

i am not trying to be cocky, i am just comfident and know what i am doing . do worry about safty issues because this car is not done yet.there will be more brackets made and i will post more photos as long as people stop cat fighting and get this thread closed.

27. Minewithnoshine

Minewithnoshine

Nice words Drew, now post a picture of the other one! hahaha

I can vouch for all his work, TOP NOTCH, SAFE, and looks DAMN good

28. bulletbob

bulletbob
    from Boston

Last edited: Apr 16, 2009
  29. VonMoldy

VonMoldy
    from UTARRGH!

What is the thought process that goes into removing the front torsion beam and replacing it with a heavier front axle designed to support a heavier american car?
    Is it just for the look?
    I am a VW guy and I just don't get these things.

Having said that I think yours looks pretty cool. Good work too. I think it would look cool to cut out the area beneath the cooling louvers beneath the rear window and move the fan housing and oil cooler under there maybe have a duct underneath the car to feed it air. I just think it would look cool to have the bare case and cylinders sticking out Of course the belt would be a problem.

30. RenoRat

RenoRat
    from Oxnard,Ca

Fuk em' Thats the meanest vw ive ever seen! Was the body trully a 48??

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.