Register now to get rid of these ads!

1950 chevy and 1952 poncho body styles question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fucco, Mar 28, 2009.

1. fucco

fucco

I have a quick question here.......i have a 1950 chevy styleline deluxe and want to know if body parts from a 1952 pontiac will fit on it ( both cars are 2 doors) i really want to be sure if the doors, rockers, and glass are the same size as well as the trunck lid.....id be gratefull for any help here!

Thanks

Marc

2. C.D.O

C.D.O
    BANNED

I'm gonna have to bump this.............

3. Roughshod Rod

Roughshod Rod

Holy Crap! I might be able to (help) answer a question - instead of just reading them and asking them.

You and me are both in Canada, so the rules change for Chevy and Poncho. Canadian Ponchos have Chevy panels (and my 54 Pathfinder even has a stock Powerglide). There is a very good chance that your Canadian Poncho trunk lid and doors will be the exact part. I don't know about the rockers and glass, but that should follow suit.
    Windshields and rear quarter panels on my '54 can be had from 54 Belairs - that is guaranteed by my own hands. Everything else comes from info boards and people on them.

I hate to lead you astray, but check out
    http://www.activeboard.com/forum.spark?forumID=118110&p=1
    its a board for Canadian Poncho folks, and that is where I still have not answered a question.

4. For the OP:

It depends on the Pontiac and the body style. If both are Styline, and both are 2-door sedans, the doors and trunk lid will interchange. Some pre-1955 Canadian Pontiacs are built on a Chevy frame and use Chevy-like front fenders - but some are on the longer wheelbase US frame and the fenders and hood will not interchange due to length. Those with the Chevy running gear will have a 115" wheelbase.

Coupes with the short quarter window and tudors use different doors, which can be made to fit one another with modifications.

You can buy reproduction rocker panels and lower quarters for these cars.

The question is, why not fix the Pontiac since it apparently is in much better shape?

Those in the US, doors, glass and deck lids from same body style cars will interchange on the Chevy, the Pontiac, and Olds six and 88 models through 1951. Olds and Pontiac have longer frames and noses. Olds goes to a different body for 1952 but Pontiac continues the interchangability with Chevrolet.

Bear in mind there are four different windshields for 49-52 cars - the Fleetline (fastbacks), Styline (notchback) Coupe and Sedan Delivery, Station wagon, and hardtop/convertible. Presumably the 53-54 have three windshields with the Fleetline styles dropped. The doors also differ for each body style.

5. fucco

fucco

thanks for the help guys!
    so it looks like i have found a 1950 pontiac 2 door for a parts car.....the good news is its in better shape than what i already have!!!.......its complete with a rebuilt flathead 6 so i think im going to work on the pontiac.....now looking at her i notice the tail lights are not round, my guess is because this is a Canadian model so would that mean they are the same as the chevy tail lights from that year?

6. Roughshod Rod

Roughshod Rod

Mine is a 54 Canadian Poncho - and that is true for mine. Double check yours - but I would guess you are right.
    Keep that inline 6 - its a beautiful, albeit obsolete, engine. Send me some pictures and keep us posted.
    -C

7. turdmagnet

turdmagnet

Hope you don't mind me jumping in on your thread. I've got a 51 Canadain Poncho and have a question specific to the front fenders. On all the photos I see here, the Pontiacs have a crease line partial down the side of the fender running from the headlight back, but mine doesn't - the fender is smooth all the way down. I've also got a set of spare fiberglass fenders for it and they too are smooth. Is this unique to Canadian Ponchos, or is a Chevy panel on a Poncho thing ??

Thanks much !!

8. fucco

fucco

thanks roughshod, i believe i am going to keep her with the 6 for now!
    and turd......lol the handle makes me laugh! but as far as i know the fenders should be smooth......i believe all the cdn ponchos were built on the chevy body with the pontiac dress up kit

9. Eugenebee

Eugenebee

I got a 50 Pontiac 2 door cheiftian I'm also looking for parts do you know of any one that has I'm in new jersey

10. Eugenebee

Eugenebee

I also have a 1950 cheif 2 door hardtop im looking for a fewpieces

11. I've got a pair of 50 Pont. rear fender stone guards if needed...