Register now to get rid of these ads!

Two Lane Blacktop

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bob37, Mar 20, 2009.

1. terryr

terryr
    from earth

Dennis Wilson died when he was drunk by his boat, something fell off the pier, and he said 'no problem, I'll dive down and get it'. But he didn't come back up.

Is it on again?

2. Daddyfink

Daddyfink

Ok, now I am really confused!

The movie was more of a human study than a racing movie. We are just lucky the movie was made when it was made and captured something nobody has been able to capture since.

Damn, that sounds rather artsy!

3. 49 lincoln

49 lincoln
    from reno

You know there's an unofficial sondtrack out there called "You can never go fast enough". I got it as a gift on vinyl...a double album. It's got some Wilco and Sonic Youth and old blues guys. Pretty neat. A good one to zone out to in the garage.

4. rbantique

rbantique
    from maine

poster

Attached Files:

5. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

The first (The fast and the furious) was in 1955 the second one was in 2001.............then their was a (Fast and Furious I think:confused:) more recently.......
    What I am trying to say is that, The fast and the furious is not a modern version of Two lane blacktop.

I know what I am trying to say, Its just that no one else does:eek:

6. Insane 1

Insane 1
    from Ennis TX

Saw it for the first time in about 20 yrs or so....got some cool shots, and worth watching for the car scenes.

Yea, the ending is one thing, but no matter how bad it is its still a million times better than Hollywood Knights!!! That was one of the worst movies ever made.

7. Kerry67

Kerry67

WTF ??? Are you out of your mind ??? Hollywood Knight is CLASSIC. To me it ranks up their as one of the best car movies ever. Funny stuff.........Probably my favorite car flick.

8. She's still in prison for being uglier than home made soap and cause she couldn't
    row the shifter mounted to the M22. I remember seeing the movie the first
    time when I was 7 years old. I couldn't figure out why either one of the guys liked her.

9. 61TBird

61TBird

You have to wait until the 3:00 mark for the '31(or "32 like DW says)

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/mi1cHV0Iez0&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/mi1cHV0Iez0&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ndhiyu7yFg4&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ndhiyu7yFg4&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

10. Old Gearhead

Old Gearhead

[FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]The drag racing scenes were filmed at Shelby County International Raceway (old name was Lakeland Drag Strip) outside of Memphis, TN. I was there the day of the filming. The Mr. Bardahl Corvette that the '55 races could have beat him hands down. The director had Bill Heilschler let off near the finish line so the film would show the '55 winning. The crowd moaned in unison. :rolleyes:

http://lakelandraceway.com/two-lane_blacktop.htm
    [/FONT]

Last edited: Mar 24, 2009
  11. Two Lane Blacktop truely depicts the way it actually was back then, it has always been sort of like the glue for hot rodding memories. Not too many hot rodders had money for all the refinements of a build, most in my area had primered cars, maybe two mags, a hurst or foxcraft shifter, Sun tach, most of the money was spent on an engine swap out of the local junkyard. A few older guys may have landed a new musclecar and they were typical Warren Oats/ GTO type characters. I had 57 Plymouth hubcaps on my 67 Nova and thought that was Ok, I did land some ralleyes later. Anyway, despite some lame scenes the movie will always be on my fave list.:cool:

12. primed34

primed34

I stand corrected. Kinda screwed the coupe up didn't he.

13. I have to wonder how much $$$ James Taylor got for his "acting" in that movie. Wouldn't it be a hoot if JT was interviewed about the movie TLBT.

14. LSGUN

LSGUN
    from TX

He was, I have the criterion DVD and it's part of the bonus material.

15. nor cal nic

nor cal nic

it's alright with paint,,,,, but those wheels!?! what the $%^&?

16. My dad's friends used to call it: 'Two Lane Boredom'.
    I think it's great!

17. 65PANELRAT

65PANELRAT

Would the owner of the truck in pic be Ben C. of Ben's Paint & Body Santa Fe, New Mexico? Is the Pic of Drive In Resturant, Bert's Burger Bowl Santa Fe, New Mexico?

Last edited: Apr 2, 2009
  18. Van Gasser

Van Gasser

I'm a big fan of the cars in this movie and I've seen the movie more times than I will
    admit. In the second scene when Denis Wilson is changing the slicks out for street
    tread you will notice that the 55 is equipped with rear disc breaks.

19. Some cool pics.......TLB:)

Attached Files:

20. Sscott55

Sscott55
    from Ojai

Man, you have your info right...my fellow Nuevo Mexican!

21. PunkAssGearhead88

PunkAssGearhead88
    from So Cal

This seriously pisses me off:mad: WHY?????????

22. PunkAssGearhead88

PunkAssGearhead88
    from So Cal

I dont care how cheesy anyone thinks this movie is or what the "plot" is, most old car movies have about the same plot. If you cant appreciate the period footage and the sound of an M-22 your not a true gearhead. Saw this movie for the first time back in '86 ( I was only 4 ) on KCOP channel 5 I believe (for you local folks). I cant think of any good car movies worth watching that have been out in the last 20 years that even seem close to being real as TLB.

23. wally95

wally95
    from Boone Iowa

The car that sold was Big Willy's wifes car. The Red Daytona is no more. They acid dipped it to much and The body fell apart.

24. TexanCherryBomb

TexanCherryBomb
    from Delete me

I own it as well.. :D One of my favorites.

I believe that Warren Oats' character name in the movie is just GTO. I don't think they used his character name much, but that's what the opening credentials say.

Just FYI.

25. kingfishhotrods

kingfishhotrods

these are a few pics from the Lakeland drag strip here in memphis. this is the track from the movie. they ran the dozer through it last summer . lakeland was closed in the late 70's in order to build a shitty mall that is still there today. the drag strip actually ended in the parking lot of this shitty little mall. i went out and took lots of pics before it's death. i will post them soon if anyone is interested

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

26. OldsGuy

OldsGuy

I enjoyed the movie so much the first time I saw it that I bought the two CD boxed set with the screen play (mentioned by some people already). I watched it again last night with a friend on a widescreen. The interview by the director on the second CD really sheds some light on the movie and made me appreciate it even more. I find it interesting that the director had a dream about the ending and added it against the recommendations of most of the people around him. Originally the ending was supposed to be when GTO drives away from the diner.
    I like it for most of the reasons most people don't, the lack of dialog and lack of background songs (only a few); the wide aspect ratio and depth of field are great too.