Register now to get rid of these ads!

49 Cadillac 331 distributor question...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dirtbag83, Apr 13, 2009.

1. dirtbag83

dirtbag83
    from Maryland

I have a 49 Cadillac series 62, i want to convert to electronic ignition, i am curious if anyone may know what disributors may be compatible? any assistance in this matter are greatly appreciated.

2. jonnycola

jonnycola

Only thing you can do is put a petronix electronic conversion in it...

3. T-Bone

T-Bone

4. jonnycola

jonnycola

Petronix is way better because you elliminate the points, and you can't see any of the modifications unless you open the distributor.

5. T-Bone

T-Bone

Relax Junior, this wasn't game of one upmanship, just relaying another option from a recent discussion to help the OP. Personally I think the motorcraft conversion is damn ingenious..it's inexpensive and uses readily available parts. Something that could be comforting when your ignition craps out in BFE.

6. jonnycola

jonnycola

Relax, Pops. I wasn't trying to one up anyone...

I have a petronix in a cadillac distributor, and it works just flawlessly. No sense in making shit more complicated than it needs to be.

7. notebooms

notebooms
    Alliance Member

pertronix has worked well on a couple of my caddy motors. also nice because you can keep points in the glovebox and go back if you have a problem out on the road.

-scott noteboom

8. dirtbag83

dirtbag83
    from Maryland

thank you for the ideas guys, i was checking out the pertronix website and i think thats actually gonna be my route im gonna take.