Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage 1st Annual Local Funktion-Rods, Kustoms, Bikes

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Comet, Apr 12, 2009.

1. I had the distinct pleasure of attending the 1st Annual Local Funktion Rods, Kustoms and Bikes show in Nagoya, Japan today. The event was an invitation only, so they controlled what types of cars got in, and most importantly, what didn't. In all the events I've been to in Japan, this was the first in which it was 100% American iron. And the cars and bikes were awesome! Pretty much 100% HAMB approved (ok, they had low riders too, but many were older than 1965, and all were cool). They also had some of Japan's best pinstripers there: Makoto, Mr. G, Ghost, JJ, Jet Wrench and a few other artists. I consigned Makoto to re-make my "Comet" fireball to use as my avatar and hang in my office. I can't wait to get it! :cool: I also bought a piece from Ghost (see pics).
    They limited the event to approx. 100 cars and had maybe 50 bikes or so. Consequently, some of the cars outside the event were just as cool as inside. You will probably recognize quite a few of the cars, but I don't recall some of them being on display outside, so that was cool.
    The weather was great (about 75 degrees), cherry blossoms were still (barely) out and the people were all cool. Special thanks to the guys at Paradise Road in Nagoya for telling me about this. Now the pics:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 12, 2009
  2. The artists:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I bought this piece from Ghost, he wanted a pic of me for his blog.
    [​IMG]
    A better pic of the piece :cool:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Makoto san and me
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. srosa707

srosa707
    from Sacramento

Wow, bitchin cars man! Thanks for the pics!

4. srosa707

srosa707
    from Sacramento

Like Cole said, "The Japanese are KILLING it".

5. Mark in Japan

Mark in Japan

SugOOOOOIIIIII Natsukashi, tomodachi-san!

Good Times in Nagoya! :D

6. Last edited: Apr 12, 2009
  7. cretin

cretin

I would love to go check out the hotrod/custom/bike scene in Japan. There is alot of cool stuff going on over there.
    It looks weird seeing all these cars with Japanese license plates on them.
    Thanks for posting!

Last edited: Apr 12, 2009
  8. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Comet,
    Pretty neat event. I lived in Japan back in the mid-80's and as I recall the motor vehicle inspections were brutal. If these cars are drivers, do you know how hard it is to get them insured and tagged? Later, Gary

9. Mark in Japan

Mark in Japan

Those plates with the red slash through them are "restricted use - local commuting only" ......and they show the home town of origin ON the plates.......then some of these kats drive 600 miles cross country on them!!!!!! :D :eek: :D

I always heard. " Hey Man....we get reniency for COOL rods!!!!" ;)

10. Hai, sugoi desho~!

I wish I coulda met up with you Mark when you lived here. We were at some of the same shows!

Yeah, that's why I posted some of the plates...so you "gaijin" would know they were in fact Japanese cars! Hahaha!:D

I think insurance is not bad, but yeah inspections are a pain. But like Mark said, the restricted licenses helps them get away with things they otherwise might not.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2010
  11. hotrod-kenny

hotrod-kenny

nice pics. Thanks!

12. From the sublime to the ridiculous...

Thanks for posting these.

13. Hot Rod Michelle

Hot Rod Michelle

Thanks for the pics dude. I want to go and live there too. Then I can learn Japanese.

14. Hooligan63

Hooligan63

I think Japan means "Heaven" in an alternate language.Great pics and there is not one car I could make a complaint about.Even the lowriders with the crazy ass paint schemes are great.

15. wild willey

wild willey

Killa rides!!!! Thank you for the pics!!! Inspiration abounds there! I am at a loss for words! We need to learn from the example that has been set. "You guys are "KILLING IT" over there.

16. LoSoto

LoSoto

Awesome stuff! Wonderful of you to share.

17. redsean

redsean

great show very intresting thanks a bunch for sharing
    it cost a bunch of $$$ to built and get parts for the old rides in the states. how rich do you have to be to build one in Japan??

18. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

great pics mark. thanks.

19. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Very Kool & thanks for posting the pictures! I wish that I could have been there.....

Happy Trails,

Mick

20. RAY With

RAY With

Thanks for taking the time to scan all these great pictures se we could see them. I know for years they have been buying up American hotrods but seeing it was another shock to the system. Thanks for sharing them with us.

21. Lotta good shit..those customs had some bad ass paint on em.. Thanks for the pics.. looked like one hell of a 1st annual..

22. greatlakesspeedshop1

greatlakesspeedshop1

WoW where can I get a Jap plate ???????????

23. Ian Berky

Ian Berky

The japanese are the best customizers in my opinion, definitely perfectionists!!! Beautiful cars!!

Ian

24. sskustoms

sskustoms

Great pictures Comet !! Thanks

25. My first instinct tells me that most of these cars were built in USA and imported to Japan. Am I right, or are there builders over that that actually "get it" and have access to resources required for these builds?

26. phukinartie

phukinartie

27. Jersey Meathook

Jersey Meathook

wow.... nice iron there as always