Register now to get rid of these ads!

anybody moved springs inside the frame on a 49-54 chevy

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by inliner54, Apr 12, 2009.

1. inliner54

inliner54

I just set my body on the frame and was very disappointed on how high my car sat. I had my springs dearched 4 inches and used 4 inch blocks used a gambino notch and it looks like a 4 wheel drive!!!! so I want to know if i should relocate my springs inside my frame? Pics anyone?

2. iamspencer

iamspencer

i was going to i had it all planned out i was going to use the front springs from a 73-87 chevy truck for the rear. i was talked into doing a triangulated 4 link with bags which i have not finished yet.

someone on here i think helped me design it. i was going to have them inside the rails so they would be higher in the car to lower the whole car.

i was told the ride would probably suck

do a search of my old threads i think theres one on this

3. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

someone on here has pics of thier car where the springs are mounted in the center of the rails. the front spring eye was about in the middle of the frame rail. the rear shackles were in raised up as well. I had the pics for a while but deleted them.

8" drop is not enough?

4. inliner54

inliner54

Thats just it for some reason it looks almost stock i dont get it ill post some pics.

5. inliner54

inliner54

here is where it sits now

Attached Files:

6. inliner54

inliner54

ok how low are your guys 49-54 chevs on stock suspension?

7. Terry

Terry

I agree I would have thought it would have been lower too. Here is a picture of mine with stock springs and 2 inch blocks.

Attached Files:

8. I just measured mine. Stock suspension w/ 3" blocks. It measures 19-1/4" from floor to top of wheel opening. 6.70-15 tires.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 12, 2009
  9. Terry

Terry

Maybe a side shot would be more telling....

Attached Files:

10. Wait...aren't the rear shackles supposed to be flipped the other way??...mine are.:eek:

11. Terry

Terry

Good eye Matt, I missed that. Yes mine are flipped the oter way.

12. That's probably a couple inches or more right there...

13. This isn't a Chevy but will show basic work done to move springs inside. Simple and strait forward. It allowed me to install a 10" wide wheel in a stock wheelhouse. It also lowered the car 3.5" with the stock spring. I also moved the spare tire well forward 3" for clearance.
    The Wizzard

14. Dang. Hit the wrong button. Here are the photo's

Attached Files:

15. roddinron

roddinron

Yeah, your shackle is backwards. Here's mine with dearched, reversed eye springs and a 1" block, though I'm going to switch to 3". Just ignore the goat.
    [​IMG]

16. One cannot ignore the goat.

17. inliner54

inliner54

backwards what do you mean? I feel like an idiot.

18. 52pickup

52pickup
    from Tucson, Az

the spring end of the shackle should be above the frame mounted end of the shackle at ride height

19. like this...

Attached Files:

• shak.jpg
      shak.jpg
      File size:
      369.8 KB
      Views:
  20. inliner54

inliner54

oh god!!!!!!!!!!

21. 52pickup

52pickup
    from Tucson, Az

yeah, that should fix your height problem, eh?

22. roddinron

roddinron

Easy mistake to make, that car should sit pretty nice once you get them turned over. Then as I said, if you want to gain a little more, you can reverse the eyes, it's not hard, just be sure to remove the rivet above the front of the spring.

23. inliner54

inliner54

reverse the eyes? how do you do that?

24. aussidad

aussidad
    from Australia

here's mine 6 inch de-arch still a little high and it's a 50 model
    [​IMG]

25. inliner54

inliner54

thanks guys im an idiot!!!!!!!!!!!

26. markanthony

markanthony

"Reverse eyes"---your spring shop or you takes the main leaf, separates it from the pack, de-archs it flat and and flips it...only problem is to watch out for the rivets on the front attachment point/bracket(or remove that rivet)..too many bumps/worn shocks/hauling a full load and you'll snap that main leaf..

I wouldn't do that, I did that and boy was that a fun slow drive home tied together with bailing wire...sat real low on the drivers side- went back to the shop and had them make me a new main leaf, de-arched it flat and installed... a couple trials and error the sucker sits like this with a full spring pack and no blocks.

[​IMG]
    when I get the inspiration to get back on the car and some cash I'm going to have the frame z'd ahead of the front mount, cut out the trunk and just kick up the rear of the frame

27. After you do that, put 200-300 lbs of weight in the back, maybe more, since the car has no doors, glass, looks like maybe no deck lid, and no gas tank - the tank with 15 gallons or so of gas is at least 100 lbs alone. Then see how it sits.

28. Big Jon

Big Jon

mine has had 8 inches taken out of it , i think somebody added some extra leafs to it before i got it, have since dearched the springs , they are now flat with 2 inch lowering blocks. still is 8 inches off the ground.

29. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here is a shot of our 51 fleetline. we moved the springs inside the frame to allow a bigger tire in the wheel well. It was not a big deal to do. You can see the height adjustments on the front attach points. we can lower or rasie the car about 3 inches just by moving the 4 bolts on each side

[​IMG]

30. lowrodderDon

lowrodderDon
    BANNED

I'm going to try that reverse eye deal, But I might go triangulated 4-link w/bags if I need more. I got here a little too late but I saw that the shackles were on the wrong side myself. good stuff here can't wait to see more, Later