Register now to get rid of these ads!

Can you put an "X" in a panel with a bead roller?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SpookyDad, Nov 5, 2008.

1. SpookyDad

SpookyDad
    from Cypress TX

Is it possible to cross 2 1/2 round beads to form an "X" with a bead roller? I have a stamped panel with reinforcing ribs that cross each other. Not hard to do with a big press, but very hard with a bead roller (as far as I can tell).

Neil

2. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

You can but as it crosses the new roll crushes the old one. Just stop a little short on the x, it will look ok and be plenty strong.

Or stop short on both legs of the x and leave the center open, would look better and still be strong.

3. What he said, i would stop just short of the intersection on one of the lines. It keeps alot of distortion from forming in the panel.

4. chevy69

chevy69

HERES A SAMPLE MY BUDDY JUST DID
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

Run the lines straight, off the edge if possible and dont round the corners with bead.

Most of the warping can be worked out over an "english knee".

I dont use a bead roller because of this, and it also seriously restricts creativity.

I like being creative!!

[​IMG]

6. Check and Mate!

7. If you don't use a bead roller, how did you form those flames and the rose? Nice work, by the way.

8. Topless Ford

Topless Ford

Tinman, you have got to be a witch or an alien to put that rolling goodness into metal......voodoo perhaps?

9. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

Some parts of that piece are done with a step roll, and some of it is done with my supertop secret homemade rolls.

Thanks! No magic, No voodoo, just miles and miles of practice.

Oh and before you ask, yes that piece was warped all to hell, and after a few passes over the leg its flat-ish, we still have to build a frame for it.

Here's some links to some other good threads, there are a few outstanding rollers here on the hamb, and we dont mind showing off either!!

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=248326&highlight=bead+roll

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=248531&highlight=bead+roll

and the be all, end all, showing the hell off thread!!

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=144995&highlight=bead+roll

Last edited: Nov 5, 2008
  10. 65 impala

65 impala

wow nice job!!!!!!!!

11. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey,

You can form an "X" with calking tools, and finish the details by hand. The problem I see would be one of structurual design. The bead needs metal around it to do its' job, which is that of a controled stretch in the panel. If two lines intersect, you now have a hinge. Movement in a panel is some-
    thing you're trying to design out with a bead to begin with, no? This thought is ment for structural design of sheetmetal panels and not "artwork".

Swankey Devils C.C.
    "Meanwhile, back aboard The Tainted Pork"

12. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

The rolls are there to stiffen the panel in the center.

The majority of the panel strength comes from the shape and support structure the the sheet metal is attached to.

Basically what this means is if the panel cant support itself adding beads and steps will help, but you really need to rethink your overall design.

As for the artwork part,, just because it has to be there, (bead/step rolls) doesnt mean it has to be ugly.

13. bigolds

bigolds

You and KiwiKev do some of the best tin work ever!!! That would be a good thread!!!!

14. 100mph WHEELSPINNER

100mph WHEELSPINNER

you need to use a skateboard wheel as one of the rollers on your bead roller. It will allow you to cross the x's without crushing the first one.

15. kustombuilder

kustombuilder
    from Novi, MI

explain please.

16. retroridesbyrich

retroridesbyrich
    from Central NC

There's going to be a sudden rash of kids wondering what happened to the wheels on their skateboards, after this tech info.:cool:

Last edited: Apr 12, 2009
  17. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

yep I need to see this one too. If your thinking that a soft upper or lower die is going to stop the crushing, well, your are mistaken.

18. Can you connect across if you've stretched or domed the metal correctly to make up for metal shrinkage while bead rolling?
    I pictured the rest of the problem. The center of the crossing can only be finished by a shaped punch and receiving die to manually finish the desired crossing.

19. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

thats not the issue, the problem when crossing with a bead is the dies physically crush the bead as you cross over. not a shrink stretch deal

20. invizibletouch

invizibletouch
    from Mobile, AL

I always ease up on the pressure, skip over the intersect, and drop the pressure back down and roll. Works for me.

21. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

Rather than use a bead, why not use a step die, and recess all the metal that isn't the "X" you're looking for?

Draw an "X" on your panel, with, say, 1-inch wide ribs. Then use a step die and RECESS all the area between the ribs, in effect raising a wide "X" in the panel.

-Brad

22. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

Thats what I would do, I dont even have a set of bead rolls and can count on one hand the number of times I've used them in the last 15 years.

But that wasnt what he asked :D

[​IMG]

23. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

Nope, wasn't what he asked... but it is an elegant solution, isn't it? :D
    I actually just thought about it when I read the post, and figured that'd be a good way to go. Neat that you could post what I was thinking about!

-Brad

24. Ya dang show-off!:D

25. Deadelvis2000

Deadelvis2000
    from Austin, TX

Last edited: Apr 17, 2009
  26. 1badnov

1badnov
    from South Bay