Register now to get rid of these ads!

22 and younger crowd?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CSU55Chevy, Mar 19, 2009.

1. PurplePearl50

PurplePearl50
    from Sedalia,Mo

Im 21 be 22 in July. I started out driving a 87 Dodge truck slant 6 auto. Had it two months and sold it cause it was not old enough. Bought an 80 El Camino rod bearings where bad so me my dad and my uncle put a rebuilt engine back in it. Then got it painted. 1 week to the day after paint was done a kid I went to school with was being a jack ass and pulled out in front of me and i was going 55. Totaled it rebuilt it all. Drove to school one moreing and sitting in a the corner of this junk car lot was a 58 GMC Short Bed Big Back Glass Fleetside. Bought it rebuilt the engine. Slammed it on the ground flat black white walls red rims. Drove it all through high school. Buddy of mine had a 50 Chevy Fleetline for sale so I drove it for a couple days and fell in love with it. Still have it now. Ive put my touches on it along with the touches of the Legend Bill Hines. Who chopped it. Its just sitting in the garage now. I drive it every day its nice.

Im in college now its hard to work on it as much as I want. I plan on finishing it after I get out of school. Im tring to sell me 03 Dodge Ram now so I can buy this 78 Malibu Wagon I found. So I can use that as a daily. I need some place to haul my art work around in so a wagon will work great.

Im about the only "young gun" here in town alot of old hot rodders and kustom guys they kinda took me in and have showed me alot of stuff.
    People around here just done under stand what its about. They think I do it cause its cool..

2. TexanCherryBomb

TexanCherryBomb
    from Delete me

Just turned 21 a little over a month ago..

I have a '68 Chevy Shortstep that my dad gave me and a '29 Model A Sports Coupe - Roadster that I'm builing to satisfy my need for speed (at least for a good while.. :D)

My dad was a big hot rodder throughout the 70's and 80's with a buncha muscle cars and tri 5 chevys, and come 1988 I was born. When I was a few years old, he would just drag me through car shows in Colorado and Oklahoma and Texas at a young age, and then in high school, I started thinking about what I'd like to drive (of course, turning 16 and getting my first car..) and I was just into cars in general. Ever since then, my hatred for jap crap has deepened as well as for ANY imports. Now it's just me who drags my dad around the car shows.

I just believe that you'll find more innovation in a Model A hot rod than you will a Honda "custom". I'd rather work with real steel than plastic and computers. I would much rather be the guy with the gawdawful stripped down car than in some car with plastic bolt on parts.. after all, it makes me stand out.

Oh and.. no, I don't really have any guys around my age that are into cars like I am.. There's one kid, but he's not as deeply interested in the whole aspect of the hobby as I am, and another one but he's too snobby for me, I guess. I'm pretty much stuck with the old farts, but I'd rather hang out with a buncha old farts than kids who think bolting on spoilers and rocker panels are "custom."

The people in this hobby are some of the best people I've ever met, and some of the best influence on me that I'll ever find. I would rather call this hobby a lifestyle.

Matt

3. Neglected Steel

Neglected Steel

Im 22, I got hooked in high school when I went to Paso, and there are a lot of guys around my age in my town that have traditional hot rods that Im friends with.

4. SniffnPaint

SniffnPaint

21 in two weeks, soon some of the things i do would be so illegal.

my peers usually ask me why. but i have a lot of great friends ive met through muscle cars and hot rods.

5. cafekid

cafekid

i turn 21 tomorrow and ive always been into the style of yesteryear, ive owned a couple of jap cars and to me they fail in comparison.

6. CadillacCorey

CadillacCorey

I'm 22, and I find it much harder to explain to the older generation why I like their cars more than the ones that came around when I was growing up.

7. fine29

fine29
    from Des Moines

I'm 21 and I started looking for a traditonal rod when I was 18 but figured I wouldnt be able to afford one so I settled with a fox body mustang. One day I decided it was time and sold the stang and bought a 29 sedan traded the 29 for a 30 and now Im tryin to get the 30 done in time for the goodguys show in july. None of my friends are into old cars unless its 1980 forward and alot of them are into imports.. but I am friends with alot of older guys who help me out alot :D

8. SchlottyD

SchlottyD

Im 23, getting ready to turn 24 and joined the site a little older than 21. I grew up with a love for cars and trucks, especially the old stuff. My first truck was a 63 F100 at 14 which I still own to this day. Its gone from 223 and 4 speed to 360 auto to 460 5 speed and now to 468 auto and finally getting body work and paint. I also have a little hot rod project in the works that is being built from the ground up. Stock rails stepped in the front and z'd in the rear. Its a blast to see the expression on the older generations faces when I start talking about my truck and hot rod. I've made my way as an automotive technician and body man and just recently started SLAUGHTERHAUS FAB & REPAIR which has been my dream and goal for a long time.

9. Gunch

Gunch

21 and i like cars more than i like the internet.

10. BStoltz

BStoltz

ill second that the more time you spend on here the less time there is to wrench !!!!!! im 19 and pretty much have loved cars forever i think the magazines are what did me in............ my grandpa and i got a 30 model when i was 16 and we are slowly building it up. Im fortunate to have one or two friends into this stuff but that's it.

11. Bazooka

Bazooka

[​IMG]

12. hotsilver

hotsilver
    from Florida

I just turned 27, but I still think, and act like a 22 year old.... Technically I don't really fit in this thread, but I am still gona post...
    I don't really have to explain myself to people, but they are always surprised when they see what kinda cars I'm into. I'm happy to see all the younger crowd posting, I just wish there were more of us!
    I live in Daytona Beach Fl. and there isn't shit for car culture here... If there are any of you yonger guys in FL., let me know, we'll hit up some cool car shows or hang out sometime......

RJ

13. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I just turned 22... I always loved hot rods and hated pastels... the cars of the 80's and 90's weren't for me... I always liked the 50's best.

14. BigDfromthe303

BigDfromthe303

I turned 27 awhile ago but i've been in the car scene my whole life. Got it from my dad. I build the cars by myself for myself. I'm now building a 28 tudor from the ground up just finished a 26 tall t i put on a jeep frame and finally finished my 71 mustang last year after almost 9 years of weekend wrenching. I've been doing my own thing for awhile now.

Btw just because my username is Ratty28bigblock I DO NOT build rat rods. <--- I wont say that bad word again. I take pride in my work. R__ R___s are hack jobs and you will not find that in my vocabulary.

Heres the current project. It deffinitely needs some work.
    [​IMG]
    Heres some photos of my current progrees on my Model A. Started the Thursday before easter. Worked all of last weekend and most of this one.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And if there are any younger cats out there that are into the same stuff and live in the metro area i could always use/lend a hand, shit i have every tool you need to build anything with and a shop to boot.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2009
  15. CARLOS8A

CARLOS8A
    from waukegan

I am 23 goin on 24 and i use to be in to the mini truck seen big time.... i own a 2002 blazer xtreme that i had full airride on and the doors are all shaved and all that good stuff..... but than i started hanging around a group of friends that have hot rods and customs, and well i started looking for a hot rod and about 3 months ago i purchased a 1952 chevy deluxe 2dr and now that is my project!! of course i want to install air bags and chop the top... i know that the older hot rodders dont like the whole air ride thing but i got the car bc i wanted somethin low and cool... when i was trailering my car home an older man at a gas station came up to me and said "whos chevy is that??" i said mine sir! the old man said how old are you? do you know what you just bought!!?? and i said yes i do!! the old man said iam very happy that you show interest in what i was in to when i was younger!! that made me think that i was just contributing to this awesome culture of hot rods and customs!!! since i was a little kid i was fascinated by older cars!!
    i have been told that iam too young to own my car when i tell ppl what i have!!! i didnt know there was a age limit to owning a 52 chevy!!!

16. 52chevydeluxePDX

52chevydeluxePDX

HAHAHA!!! I love it! Thats totally true. I just carry of pic of mine with me. Most guys don't believe that my 52 Chevy is a traditional rod..(I'm 26 also)

17. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

Try having long hair, when the guys i work with and i went to the '08 Detroit Autorama a bunch of people thought we were unloading in the wrong place, rat rods were downstairs, then we won the Ridler!

18. Fordguy78

Fordguy78

I'm 16 and I've loved cars since as far back as I can remember. It probably started when I got that first Hot Wheels car. My truck is a 1978 Ford F150. Not very nostalgic but it's loud and fast and makes for a great shop rig. I'm hoping as soon as I get another job, I can get another car that will be older than 1960.:D

19. Grvdigger

Grvdigger
    from IL

I'm 22 going on 23 in Sept. I started wrenching on Off-road'n trucks when I was 15 and completed one when I was 16. I still tinker around with that but became more interested in the classic trucks the past couple of years. Then Attended The Hunnert Car Pileup. That added fuel to the fire and I started building a 55 IH pickup that a good friend (BEANCO) gave me.

Attached Files:

20. fatty mcguire

fatty mcguire

Im im 21 my first car was a 1960 impala iv had 9 cars after that and drove all of them daily to get to school and work'

heres my current cars
    [​IMG]

currently putting a 348 3x2 motor and a 4speed in the 59

[​IMG]

21. timmy25252

timmy25252

20 in college and counting pennies. Got a 36 chevy pickup and managed to save a 55 chevy panel truck from the crushier this past weekend and will be dragging that home tomorrow. New project is going just going to sit in corner and do what I can when I have spare change. As far as friends go, I do have friends and cousins that are into cars just nothing that is pre64, they are mostly muscle cars and race cars for the local track.

22. greasy50chevy

greasy50chevy

23. Florian

Florian

I´m 17. Have been wanting to build a hot rod ever since I was 10 or something. Now I´m working on my 1926 Citroen pick up:

[​IMG]

I´m from Munich, Germany. Over here hardly anybody ever saw a hot rod or custom...so there aren´t many people into this and even less in my age :rolleyes: The guys in my age all like VWs or shit like that..

Florian

24. fatrhino

fatrhino

23 next month, and it all started with a Hot Rod magazine I discovered at a magazine stand in the airport when I was 8.

25. Florian

Florian

got my driver´s licence today!!!:cool:

26. 61conti

61conti
    from Austin, TX

23 here. had a host of different cars, decided to switch it up and get an old school cruiser. This is my first "old" car (it's not even that old!) and wont be my last :)

27. Jakedreamer

Jakedreamer

18, and trying to buy my first car. I want a buick!! 50's style.......