Register now to get rid of these ads!

More Long Island'ers , Eh Gads.............

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by FRITZ, Nov 28, 2006.

1. Gman0046

Gman0046

I used to be a LI'er a long time ago. Anybody remember the Westhampton Drag Strip? Or the East Islip 1/8 mile drags? The Big Bow Wow on Crossbay Blvd and the big drive in on the south side of Sunrise Highway around Rockville Center. Was it Schorr's? Anyone remember drag racing on the Jones Beach Causway?

2. Don't knock 'em till you try them! It's easier than you think.

What did I count... 8 HAMBers on LI?
    Might as well wait until mid summer to break out the bowls of Meow Mix

Threadkiller Bil

3. wcreek

wcreek

I'm from out east, Manorville.

4. ajsyrup

ajsyrup
    from Reading PA

central islip here :)

5. Zoo York

Zoo York
    from Zoo York

<---- east yahank... aka shirley...
    Sorry to say westhampton is no more due to the money hungary bastards that had to build more houses that we don't need..

Randomrodder likes this.
  6. LODI3QTR

LODI3QTR

Tell us how you really feel............

7. upzndownz

upzndownz

westhamptom dragstrip and the 1/2 mile oval, new york national speedway,islip freeport . they're long gone and so am i// you guys got the duck tho

Attached Files:

8. Brian C

Brian C

Islip Terrace here.

Oakdale on a Thursday night is a good hang out place or the Kohl's in Deer Park on Sat nite.

9. HotRodRick49

HotRodRick49

FRITZ! You know me, I'm from a few blocks away.

Anyways, I'm young, but you'll see the 49 around in Nassau scooting here and there.

Some of you might have known my late father, True hotrodder, Rick Barba. Drove a bunch of things, his last two cars were a '46 Chevy with a bitchin stance, and a '38 Chevy roller. Anyways, I hope to see you guys around. There has to be some more out there!

-Rick

Randomrodder likes this.
  10. NYCDrums

NYCDrums

Is anyone else going to this? A H.A.M.B. Invasion might be fun.:

11. NYCDrums

NYCDrums

I'm just going to bump this once for the night time guys.

See above....

12. hodaddyo

hodaddyo

13. Jimv

Jimv

I grew up in Yonkers & we drove out to "Da Island" or "Loink Iland" to drag race.I won a few Trophies at national & Islip.Had them till about 5 yrs ago!!National was cool, they could run 4 cars at a time!I even rememebr the "hairy canary" little yellow mini cooper!!
    As a matter of fact i live in RI now & i can see the tip of LI from watch hill in westerly!! I see "LIVic" sometimes dumpin cars in the sound!!lololol
    JimV

14. The place has really cleaned up since you left aaaaaahhhhhhh who am I kidding, still suxs! LON GISLANDER right here! I did spell it right if its pronounced that way lol. But as you know, you got love your hometown!

15. retroridesbyrich

retroridesbyrich
    from Central NC

Thanks, that made me laugh!

16. I grew up in Cold Spring Harbor, Next to Huntington. Now in Detroit.

17. motoandy

motoandy
    from MB, SC

My dad was in a club called Vintage Tin in the late 70's and early 80s.Later he was in a club called the Long Island Cruisers. He is in his 60s now. He worked in a radiator shop owned by Little John who has a chopped 32 Ford. Do any of these clubs ring a bell? He has been in the south since 86' and has been out of touch. He used to talk about a guy named Patty D who had one arm and was a great craftsman. Do any of you guys know him????

18. motoandy

motoandy
    from MB, SC

My dad new these guys. Are you still in contact with them?

19. 85-percent

85-percent

I dont know where any of them are now. I've lost touch.

I remember Patty D. maybe? He drove a maroon willys sedan to timoneium when i went with larry in maybe his 37 sedan around 1974-75. Patty lost his arm in Viet Nam. He chose to have it amputated because the pain was too much to bear. i think he was pretty well educated or at least taking advantage of GI education benefits.

I remember vintage tin and I remember one meetring of the long island street rod assn. i was thrilled to tage along with larry for that!

I remember hanging at Lil John's radiator place when I got the news Jungle Jim had died.

jim

20. drfreeze

drfreeze

Farmingdale village Here! grew up in West Hempstead

21. tmul1

tmul1

In deer park 42 years nothing better as a kid then watching the weekend avenue races

22. motoandy

motoandy
    from MB, SC

Patti D helped set up the chassis for my dad's 31 model a fordor. It is cool because I am using the same pictures from 1978 he took to set up my 29 tudor I am working on. As kids we used to go on rod runs, Lake George, Hershey, Columbus. As I work on mine, I hear stories from him. Little John has been to Myrtle Beach for the Run to the Sun. Saw him about 2 years ago. He use to visit Howie Labarrca who use to be in the club. He used to own a pickle business somewhere up there. My dad and Howie had a fallen out over business.

23. LODI3QTR

LODI3QTR

Here's Lil Johns '32..........

[​IMG]

24. Originally Posted by 85-percent [​IMG]
    moved to commack li in 1960 from freeport ill. llived in setauket 1963 to 1979. folks moved to virginia in 1992.

I remember from the 70's Bob Saputo, my mentor Long Island Larry Hoffman, LISRA, Little John raditor from patchouge, bob krossner, rick gell from rocky point, steve elsessor the engine guy.

I was a helper for larry when he worked in his garage in farmingville.

-85% Jimmy
    now in nw ct.

I stll have the 36 roller I got from an air traffic guy in millar place back in 1978, still untouched!

My dad new these guys. Are you still in contact with them?

I knew many of those guys. Still here on the Island but haven't been active with any clubs or groups in years.

25. sewanhaka62

sewanhaka62

old FLORAL PARK person .. miss the old days , but not the taxes and trafic
    remember the old club R.P.M.'S from hendrickson's garage .. bob -now in N.E. PA.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2009
  26. woodguy@woodieworks.net

[email protected]

wow... lots of people I knew ...but I was just a kid doing burnouts and getting yelled at in the old hotrod...LOL... damm kids

ex LISRA...left LI in 1978...

wow how time flys...and I sure miss the PIZZA

Kirk

Last edited: Apr 12, 2009
  27. Christopher26

Christopher26

I'm in Port Jeff, and have a 51 Chevy Styline, looking for a car club, and GOOD swap meets, so far I have noticed that flowerfield sucks :)

28. joel torres

joel torres

im in brentwood a.k.a. lil mexico
    im allways up to do some work on some cars

29. Buildy

Buildy

I was born in Oceanside LI,lived in Rockville Centre,and Baldwin as a kid.
    Lots of memories of the Drag races and oval track racing on the Island when I was a kid.
    My dad and uncle were oval trackers at Freeport,Islip,etc,and my dad`s brother raced a Willys gasser At National. This was in the 1960s.
    They used to have good natured arguements over which was better,drag racin or oval track racing. Good times.

Here is what I had to say about the LI street racing scene and some of my childhood memories.

" I was too young for any of it But my uncle Frankie raced a Willys Gasser on Long Island and he always told me Cross Bay Blvd was the place where the street racing was going on in the 60s. One of his friends was killed over there when he lost the handle.

Before that,in the 50s my other uncle Indy 500 racer Jerry Karl used to hang out and street race from the Bow Wow at cross bay.
    They used to drag race in the 60s on Sunrise Highway and I was about 8-9 yrs old and on Sat nites after midnight I could hear them winding them up on the sunrise in Baldwin. Down the block was Motion Chevrolet."

Last edited: May 7, 2009
  30. I've got some areials of Crossbay. There is a website about it, do a search.

I recall running the drags at Islip. I posted photos here long time back.

Check out the Vintage 60s-70s Modifieds page, you just might see some of you family there. My kids posts photos of cars from 60 years back even.