Register now to get rid of these ads!

Disc brake conversion issues (Front)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JerryN36, Apr 10, 2009.

1. JerryN36

JerryN36
    from COS, CO

My main problem seems to be to many 'Hand-me-downs'.
    Where do I start - Okay - I have a '36 Ford Tudor Slantback - The juice brakes/front spindles are of unknown origin but are probably off a '40ish + P/U - The drums were 12" with the typical four bolt backing plate - 5" on 5.5".
    I also have a dropped axle - maybe 3"/4".

The drag link and tie rod connect to the passenger side steering arm. It's the steering arm that is the main issue. The brake conversion seems to be the complete ECI system (which was removed from a '2x Dodge Roadster which had a Ford (19??) front axle. This too was a gift horse...)
    Confused yet? - Let me continue -
    The problematic steering arm is 'U' shape with the bend going around the lower king pin bushing and it's legs have 1/2"x20t which are bolted through the bottom two backing plate holes/two lower spindle holes... Got the picture -
    GOOD..!
    The problem is that with the caliper bracket and the spacers in place (according to the instructions) the base of the 'U' won't clear the upswept arm of the dropped axle... Can't raise it high enough to bolt it to the spindle because it hits the axle...

Anyone with a possible solution..? Can't shorten the legs of the 'U' as it won't clear the bottom knig pin housing/bushing..? Don't want to clearnce grind on the axle or the steering arms..? I need about 1/4" to 3/8" to clear and bolt things together - but then the steering arm must also clear the axle throughout the steering arc...

I haven't tried removing the spacers and checking the arm attachment and the rotor clearing the caliper with resonable spacing to permit the brake pads to clear the rotor..?

Any suggestions or correction would be greatly appreciated..

Thanx,

2. enjenjo

enjenjo
    from swanton oh

Let me get this clear in my mind. The caliper bracket and spacer is spacing the steering arm back so it hits the axle? Are the spacers between the calliper bracket and spindle, or between the caliper bracket and steering arm?

3. JerryN36

JerryN36
    from COS, CO

enjenjo, Thanks for the response.
    The spacer goes between the back side of the spindle flange and the caliper bracket - then the steering is supposed to be tightened directly against the inboard side of the caliper bracket. (from the backside of the hub/spindle -> spacer -> caliper bracket ->steering arm - - >Axle)

4. enjenjo

enjenjo
    from swanton oh

Then you should be able to shorten the U the same amount as the spacers, if it's the type of arm where the bolts go into the ends of the U. Sure would be nice to see a picture.

5. JerryN36

JerryN36
    from COS, CO

You're right - and I brought them home from the shop - in fact I just now got home minutes ago - Now all I have to do is figure out how to secure them while I mill some material off. ( I have yet to Mic the thickness of the added material.)

I need to be careful not to take too much as the bolt holes are blind and I don't want the bolts to bottom-out before torque is correct for the lower two bracket holes.

First look with a depth gage indicates deepening the holes and threading will punch through one or both arm holes..?

I'll let you know what I discover and how it works out...

Thanks again for your assistance,

JerryN36