Register now to get rid of these ads!

History o/t oklahoma is burning ,cars are toast

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hotrod-Linkin, Apr 9, 2009.

1. CrazyUncleJack

CrazyUncleJack
    from OK

mostly sw lincoln county. some in wellston, and most of sparks evac'd last night. no word on news today of their situation.

2. Okievoodoo

Okievoodoo

I'm from Cushing... haven't heard... I do know news footage above showed Wellston...

I just spoke with Pam... Patrick66 wife and said they are okay... got within a mile or so of them but burned out pretty good around there... Midwest City area...should be okay... Prayers for all other still fighting...

3. brewsir

brewsir

Good luck everyone.

4. blackout

blackout

Man what's with all these fires....Oklahoma and Texas getting clobbered twice recently, Austrailia, and where I live there have been two huge fires recently. Stay safe, I hope everyone is OK.

5. Hotrod F-1

Hotrod F-1
    from OK

I hope everyone made it out safe that was in the area. It sure was crazy to watch on the news last night. A guy that is on another site that I'm a apart of lost his home, but the fire fighters pushed his truck out of the garage to save it! Here are a couple pictures of it found on NewsOK (Warning: Not HAMB friendly).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Sorry for everyone that lost home and lands to the fires. We got a lot of smoke and haze downwind, we knew it was bad. You can still smell the smoke outside today.

7. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

God bless all of you in the path if the fire and those who are risking their lives to stop it. Stay safe.

8. 067chevy

067chevy

Can't imagine what you guys are going through. Our prayer to all in the fires path. And prayers to all the brave fire fighters. May God protect you all.

9. CrazyUncleJack

CrazyUncleJack
    from OK

firefighters rule.

i've seen a car get so hot that the paint started combusting, then caught the whole car on fire. that truck is lucky, it's pretty close.

10. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've been praying ever since I heard the news.....My heart goes out for the
    families that experienced losses....

11. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

i bet some of those fire fighters are car guys..or why would they risk pulling out a truck while the rest of the world around them is a blaze?

I commend all those involved in fighting these fires and doing exactly what they did for that guy..and any others they tried to save

Heros in so many ways

12. Hotrod F-1

Hotrod F-1
    from OK

That's kind of what I thought. Seems like a lot of the fire fighters around here are car guys.

13. Rudy J

Rudy J
    1. Austin HAMB'ers

Wow - Can still smell the smoke here in N Dallas - You all are in my prayers - God bless

14. G V Gordon

G V Gordon
    from Enid OK

We're fine up here in Enid but was sure wondering about our friends to the south and east. I started a thread on the Okie HAMBers social group to maybe coordinate help if some of our members had losses.

15. The guy who owned the house and F-100 is a Navy guy who is deployed to Afghanistan. His wife and two kids got out of the house fine. Their neighbors cam over and got the truck out of the house before the home became fully engulfed. The firefighters arrived after the truck was out of the garage and the house was completely involved.

There were 35 - 40 other fire departments helping Midwest City and Choctaw fight the fires. Midwest City, BTW, is one of a very few cities rated A for fire protection - the best there is! There was no time to help people get possessions out at all. Over 100 homes were lost in the MWC/Choctaw fires last night.

One friend lost everything, including a 1948 Chevy Aerosedan that his Dad bought new. He, his wife, and dog, got out fine, thankfully.

Did the drive-around tour this afternoon, to see if anyone I knew needed anything. What a mess! You will drive by a few homes that were untouched, and then one that is all the way to the foundation! And the neighborhood did not matter, either. Everything from little 800 square foot homes to the big 9,000 sq. ft. homes - nothing and no one was exempt. With winds a steady 50 mph, with gusts to 70 at times, it was simply hope, prayer, and chance that people's homes were saved.

The closest the fire got to my place was exactly one mile, and that family that lost all but that Ford PU, they are just over a mile away. My kids went with their church group today to help a member in that addition, try to salvage whatever they could. Good, strong boys with a pickup! They remember when we got nailed by a tornado five years ago, and the help we received afterwards from a Texas church group in the cleanup; they saw the opportunity to pay it forward. I'm very proud of them!

16. BOOB

BOOB
    from Taylor, TX

I was wondering why I smelled smoke and it was all hazy. I thought that maybe the meskins were torching there cane fields but the wind was coming from the north. I'm near Austin by the way.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2009
  17. Hotrod F-1

Hotrod F-1
    from OK

Not to get anything started, I was just posting what the guy with yellow F-100 had posted another the other site I'm on. Whoever did it, it was a great thing to do for the guy. :cool:

18. Dirk35

Dirk35

Talked to the wife today on Skype. She said they got called to evac, and the fires were w/in 10 miles but they faired just fine. Mustve benn you guy's prayers. Thanks.

19. vettes2

vettes2
    from OKC, OK

From newsok.com
    Jerry Lojka, Midwest City fire marshal, said investigators have determined the fire was set by an individual at SE 29 and Post Road on Thursday.
    "We don't have a suspect but we are in the process of interviewing potential witnesses," Lojka said. "There were activities in the area at the time the fire was discovered. There were no accidental causes. They have all been eliminated."
    Lojka would not elaborate on the manner of the fire's origin.
    Lojka was careful to label the fire as intentionally set. He said it is not yet considered arson. An arson is a fire set with malice. "We haven't proven malice yet," Lojka said.

-----
    This fire destroyed 17 homes and damaged many others. At this location.

143 homes destroyed over 4 counties so far

Last edited: Apr 10, 2009
  20. Big Tony

Big Tony

Crazy crap going on around the TX/Ok border... Hopefully people will be safe and take shelter and precuations early.

21. I saw footage of housed burning on the news last night. It looked like a firestorm from WW2 bombing. It just breaks a persons heart for people losing houses and possessions. Hopefully not loved ones.
    I have friends and family down there. My dad's from Oklahoma.
    My prayers and thoughts are with all affected

22. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

yep, nice gesture no matter who did it..

I'll give credit where credit is due..great neighbors looking out for thier fellow man...great to see it

23. HighSpeed LowDrag

HighSpeed LowDrag
    from Houston

WTF?

First I heard of this.

Man, I have to read the newspaper or watch the news a little more often.

Anyone who lost a home and needs a place to stay PM me. I'm way down in Houston but I'll throw it out there anyway. Might be better than sleeping in the car.

24. djust

djust
    from Oklahoma

Well over a 100 homes gone and to think someone actually set one of the worst ones in midwest city.
    They say it started where some teens hang out after school.
    The winds have finally died down this afternoon.
    What a day and night fellows okies have had.
    Prayers for everyone.

25. Hell yes many firefighters are car guys! Around these parts anyway. We don't just leave something like that to burn. But then, timing is everything. Some things just can't be helped.

26. Randy in Oklahoma

Randy in Oklahoma
    from Oklahoma

Sorry to hear everyones losses....I lost my fully restored '47 CJ-2A Willys in a similar Oklahoma grass fire several years back.

27. Any news on or from Hotrod Linkin, Hope all is ok with all you guys.

Brad

28. hotrod-Linkin

hotrod-Linkin

i'm ok,been having chest pains and muscle spasms in my shoulders.stress i guess,i''ll go to a car show tomorrow and calm down.
    if these idiots don't quit starting fires,it won't matter about the economy...we're beat up enough here.

29. AZCOWBO

AZCOWBO

I just talked to my son in Stillwater. The news said some were intentially set by an arsonist. They are getting the 40-50 mph wind we had in AZ, the last few days.

30. Doc Squat

Doc Squat
    from tulsa, ok

Fire inspectors say this fire was intentionally set. I can't think of anything lower than a thief but, I guess they're out there. I hope they catch the bastard.