Register now to get rid of these ads!

La Snowblind Bevin is sold

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kev Nemo, Apr 8, 2009.

1. Kev Nemo

Kev Nemo

Ok, so I got an email from a soldier in Afghanistan who wants to buy my '62 cash. He's sending the money to his friend's Dad who's meeting me at his Wells Fargo to do the exchange. Talked to the guy and he seems legit enough- cash is cash and if we're getting it from a WF, I'm sure it's not counterfeit. One concern is that the soldier who's actually buying the car won't be there to sign off on the title/receipt. The friend's Dad said he'll leave the date off to skip the penalty. Does anyone have any other tips to CMA?

Last edited: Apr 12, 2009
  2. Austin296

Austin296

I personally would have no problem doing this deal. I see people leave off small things lik that all the time.

3. Chris Cissel

Chris Cissel
    from Fresno Ca

I got a counterfeit cashiers check, with a major bank name on it once. The scam was from a supposed US soldier. All this was coming from Craigs List than phone calls. Just beware. Scam was later discovered to be coming from some where in Africa. I caught on and didn't get screwed but Uncle sams green backs are the only way to go if you are in doubt.

4. cash is cash.

5. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

For your own protection notify your state DMV that you have sold the car. Untill you do that or the new owner transfers the title into his name YOU are responsable for a lot of tickets like parking and the like.Also if you do it on line print out the acknowledgement.

6. phukinartie

phukinartie

Sign and date the title and send a sellers report. Tell the dad to put it in his name till the guy returns home..It may sound rough but if something happens you can be liable

7. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

This is very good advice. I have 2 friends that had to pay over $500 each for tickets on cars they sold because they failed to send in this transfer of ownership and the buyer never changed title.

Last car I sold the guy hadn't changed the title 5 months after he took it, I got the registration in the mail. Luckily it didn't have tickets on it I was responsible for so I just mailed in the change of ownership form.

In this day and age I wouldn't take anything but cash for a car either. I'm not gonna wait 2 weeks for a bank check to clear after I deposit it.

And yeah, I'd probably date the thing too.

Can't do things like we used to 20 years ago.

8. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

Here's my standard deal. Write a bill of sale, your name their name and date. Odometer reading if it functions. "As Is"

But when you write that bill of sale, write it twice. Once on the top half of a sheet, once on the bottom. Fill out both, tear sheet, one for buyer one for seller.

Now you not only have a personal copy, but anything presented as a bill of sale against you in court would have to match the torn sheet.

Lot of people ask for lesser amounts for the sale price. I don't think they realize if I was sued over the car, I'd just refund the amount on the bill of sale and readvertise my car :)

9. Sounds fishy....... Whenever you sell a car, always transfer the title at a tag agency prior to surrendering the car. The title can be transferred without the purchaser obtaining insurance or license tags.

If you don't, you're screwed!

1) Avoids any tax issues.
    2) Avoids criminal misconduct (cloning)
    3) If the car is parked illegally and tickets are issued, their yours. Same applies if the car is left abandoned/illegally dumped. You may face civil or criminal charges.
    4) If the new owner crashes, robs a store, the victim sues you because you are still the actual owner.
    The list goes on.................

Check with your tag agency, the owner can fill out a Power of Attorney and submit it. Yeah, it takes longer, but it eliminates headache. The buyer can also give you a deposit, and you hold onto the car until he returns from Afghanistan.

10. Javier

Javier
    1. Strugglers C.C.

DONT DO IT.SOUNDS LIKE A TOTAL SCAM.by the way I still want that car .hee hee.but if you have the chance to walk off with 6,200 in cash.do it.bill of sale.sign and date title.fill out form at tax office and your all good.good luck

11. patman

patman

...AND...have both parties sign both copies. I also put something on there about there being two copies, and that both copies are the same.

If you really want to go whole hog, sign it at a bank or town hall or something in front of a notary and get the signatures notarized.

12. Jobe

Jobe
    from Austin, Tx

What Javier said. DPS has a form to fill out that you no longer own the car. GIve him a bill of sale and have both of you sign it. Sign your title...I havn't signed the title on the last two cars I've bought in the owners presence...

Make sure you get cash, cash and only cash!

Good luck

13. Goztrider

Goztrider
    from Tulsa, OK

If the soldier is legit, and the entire sale is going to be legit, the guy can send his father a notorized 'limited power of attorney' regarding this car purchase.

The only thing the power of attorney will do is allow the father to legally sign the son's name to the title, and if the son adds the stipulation - then the father can legally tag and title it in his son's name for him and black tag it.

These things are dated for a few days to a year or so, and are easy enough to do. They are completely legal and will only cost him a stamp to do it. The only problem is that it'll take him some time to get you the paperwork.

IN the meantime, I'd take a deposit on the car with a note IN WRITING giving the duo some time to get the paperwork to you so that you can legally transfer the title/pink slip to them.

As for anyone who'd question the use of this limited power of attorney, I've used them more than 10 times that I can remember - especially when I've sold cars for friends or relatives who aren't available, or are 100 miles away in BFE Oklahoma while I'm in Tulsa selling the car.

14. monsterflake

monsterflake

he can take the title in his name and 'gift' it back to his son when he returns. don't leave a title 'open' if you can avoid it...

15. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

Write up a bill of sale with the dudes name on it and have it notorized... done deal.

16. BELLM

BELLM

Go to the TXDOT website and download the form, get all the buyers info, address etc, send in the form. This protects you. Some blue titles have a tearoff sheet on the top that you can fill out with the buyers info. That protects you from unpaid tolls, parking tickets, red light camera tickets, etc. otherwise you are screwed.
    The old days of signing a title and leaving everything blank are just about history. Too many ways you can have it come back and bite you in the ass.

17. when i buy or sell a car, we meet at the DMV with cash and transfer title on the spot

18. SakowskiMotors

SakowskiMotors

You can all go to DMV, and have them check the title. Also, they can check his driver's license. Then go to the bank and have the money deposited into your account to finalize the deal. If it is counterfeit they will catch it.
    wil
    www.sakowskimotors.com
    if you think you might be getting scammed, you probably are.

19. if you dont feel right with the sale give them a pass and wait on the next buyer..

20. Ditto. Send a dated release of liability to your DMV, and keep a copy for yourself. Here in California, AAA will stamp the original, make you a copy, and send in the original for you.

21. Insist on selling it to the dad, cash, and sign off the title at your DMV completely to the dad. Stop at your bank first to verify the cash is legit and put it in an envelope, and seal it. Go to the DMV. Insist on transferring title then and there at the DMV to Dad. Dad can transfer title later to son w/o sales tax. If Dad balks, just walk away. Life's too short for any other bullshit, even in the unlikely event that 'Dad' is a man of good will and wants to do something else allegedly for the sake of convenience. Insist on doing it your way, or no way.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2009
  22. walk into the bank with the dad and make sure the money comes from a teller. i am a bail agent. i hear some of the shit my clients pull.. way out.. they come walking out of the bank with cash in hand.. in said banks cash envelope.. makes you feel pretty secure.. guess what.. the cash didnt come from the bank.. counterfeit.. and there is some damn nice 100's floating around out there.. if you take a bank check.. "for his records" ... make sure it came from a teller and hand it right back to the teller for cash.. ... just my jaded 2 cents........ mark

23. 53choptop

53choptop

Here is the TXDOT link and forms for that:

" Vehicle Transfer Notification

When a Texas-titled vehicle is sold or traded in, the seller needs to notify TxDOT. By completing a Vehicle Transfer Notification you are notifying TxDOT that you have sold a vehicle. When you submit the form a remark will be added to the vehicle record which shows the date you sold the vehicle. This can protect you if the buyer fails to promptly transfer the title. "

https://vision21.txdot.gov/Vehicle/MainTransferNotification.aspx

24. Mudslinger

Mudslinger

Write down his license plate # and his drivers license number and maybe take a picture of the plates etc. Double and tripple cover all the bases.

25. My father in law sold a truck to his brother without dating the title or showing who he sold the truck to years ago. His brother was involved in a wreck in which a fatality was involved. With the title being open guess who was liable for the damages. The really sad thing about this deal other than a fatalty in the accident was that my father in law was served with the papers from the courts about 10 minutes after his wife had died. That was something I will never forget.
    NEVER leave a title open!
    Later,
    Dick

26. Kev Nemo

Kev Nemo

Thanks for the link. So check list:

-cash from teller (we are meeting at his bank-shouldn't be a problem)
    -receipt X2 signed by myself and buyer on date with "as is-no warranty implied". Price full amount.
    -sign off on back of title
    -fill out above form and send into TxDOT, who I'm sure will want some sort of money :(

27. Sure, I'll take a Cashiers check...however, NO paperwork/vehicle, etc. leaves my possesion, PERIOD, until the Bank has cleared it with the issuing Bank. Twice, phoney Cashiers checks got caught...:eek::D

28. buzzard

buzzard
    Alliance Member

Kevin,

Take cash only. As in, greenbacks. Also, sell the car to Dad that is there with you. I'd even go to DMV with him to make sure the title is transfered. You need to make sure that the taxes are paid and that Dad registers it in his name. There is a gift tax listed on the Title App. that shows it's a $10 fee to gift it to a relative. The tax office will verify that with Dad if he's concerned. Heck, you might even offer the advance the $10 so you don't have to worry about it being in your name.

The only hitch is if they (Dad/Son) don't have the $$$ for taxes right now. If that was the case, I'd still probably do the deal. Just file the form that Rey linked and you should be good. Not the preferred method, but I'd feel comfortable doing that if it was my car.

29. oilslinger53

oilslinger53
    from covina CA

If you see the cashier at the bank hand him the money, andhe hands it to you you'll be fine. Unless he is a magician and has perfected the slide of hand technique

30. Kev Nemo

Kev Nemo