Register now to get rid of these ads!

Big 292 Chevy sixes?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by extremist, Mar 23, 2006.

1. extremist

extremist

I am always seeing posts about 235 sixes. It's extremely cool to see alternatives to the SBC for a good driver rod. However I grew up with a kid whose dad had a 292 six in his late 60's/early 70's Chevy pickup. That thing ran like a scalded dog! Is there a reason why these motors don't seem to be a popular choice? Are they hard to find? Too big? If you're running one it would be interesting to see what you have it in and what you've done with it.

chryslerfan55 and aussie57wag like this.
  2. Kinky6

Kinky6

Do a search for Bob K and Dakota, both of them run a 292". Bob competed in R&C mag's Egorama with his. I've got one sitting in the garage, waiting on a future project.

:cool:

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  3. Ayers Garage

Ayers Garage

I run one in my 72 short bed. They are a great engine. Problem is, they are somewhat difficult to find.

4. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

I am also running one in my 46 Chevy coupe. Hi comp pistons, cam, 2 x 2's, cast iron headers, duals, electronic ignition (pertronix, not HEI). Coupled with a 5 speed stick, and a 3.73 Monte SS posi rear, it runs very well!
    Sounds even better!

5. Wild Turkey

Wild Turkey

I'd be running one as soon as I can find one!

Love that low end torque!:cool:

6. REJ

REJ
    from FLA

Harder to find and runs just as well are the 302 GMC sixes.:eek:

rob-redm, D-Russ, fauj and 1 other person like this.
  7. gas4blood

gas4blood
    from Kansas

About 15 years ago I had a 292 in a chopped '34 Chevy sedan. It ran ok. It was stock. It was a torque monster, if I took off in 2nd gear (3 speed) I could hardly notice the difference. It sucked gas like it was free. 12 mpg on the highway. I wouldn't do it again. All the power of a 6 with the mpg of a HOT big block!:rolleyes:

chryslerfan55, Rand Man and fauj like this.
  8. I've got a 235, a 261 which is a high deck 235, then 2 292's which are high 250's there all good motors but the truck motors (high deck) are are like free stroker motors and aren't that hard to find, you just have to look in different places! like truck salvage yards. I think I have a 261 photo somewhere this one has a 5 speed and is going into a 50 belaire hardtop

Attached Files:

chryslerfan55 and 1Nimrod like this.
  9. I've got a new 292 in my Hup. Clifford intake with a homemade heater, Holley 2010 carb and headers. Pushing a TH200r4 AOD, Dana rear with 3.73 gears. Runs like a scalded dog. Will tow a house off the foundation

10. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

7 mains ... V8 parts fit ... 292s get 11 MPG in an empty pickup or a loaded dump truck ... check out what Kay Sissell did with these engines ...

11. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

One of my friends has a '71 C-10 that he put a 292 in, and it actually gets better mileage now that he put a 4 bbl, mild cam, and headers on it--they must be starved in stock form with a 1 bbl.

fauj likes this.
  12. stan292

stan292

Guys-

I got hooked on the 292s back around 1967, while living in Springfield, Mo. I befriended a fellow who had built a 292 motor for a national record-holding (IHRA) altered roadster (Joe Williams). A hard-running car! And, long on torque - as already mentioned by others.

He built an even better 292 motor for my '37 Chevy Coupe gasser. It would have been an absolute killer for its class, but I moved from Springfield to California and had to leave the motor behind - before ever getting a chance to fire it up.

I have a pair of '92s currently. One is for an RPU project - and I'm considering the other for an altered roadster chassis I recently purchased. I was able to get both motors for $200 or less - and in what I considered reasonable driving distance. They are out there if you look around. Not necessarily on hot rod sites though.

If you really want to learn about 292s, go to amazon.com and get the "Chevrolet Inline Six Cylinder Power Manual" by Leo Santucci. The absolute bible for these motors. Lots, and lots of info and trick stuff. Paperback for around $15 - but a great read even if you're just considering one.

13. Chevychopper

Chevychopper
    from Smyrna, DE

I just dropped a 292 in my 31 chevy project. Had to do a little sawin on the firewall to get it to fit, but it turned out pretty bitchin. I'm runnin an offy intake with 3 holleys. 6 into 4 headers and exhaust backed up with a saginaw 4 speed tranny. Found the motor from a local guy for 200 bucks and he even threw in a 235 for nada.

14. Rafael505

Rafael505
    from New Mexico

Ok guys I have a 67 c10 truck with a inline 6 It runs but smokes white, (1. why would it smoke white? (2. I don't know if it a 250 or a 292 How could I tell which one it would by looking at it? I would like to rebuilt it, if you all know any info on what sites are out there to find rebuilt kits and parts for the motor,, appreciated it thanks ............. I'll post some pics soon as I upload them

15. Putting one in my RPU . Has 9/1 comp . midrange cam , headers and 3x1 Offy intake . They are killer low end motors as the pistons are big and the stroke long . Not much for rpm but you can move houses with these puppies 'cause they are built for torque . Because of that you can probably run a fairly high gear ratio in the differential and haul ass .

16. Rafael505

Rafael505
    from New Mexico

17. Steve Ray

Steve Ray

Blown head gasket. Quit driving it till you fix it.

RAK and benchseat4speed like this.
  18. We built a 292 back in the day, had Louis Boyd Engines in Norman OK balance and machine it, they used I believe 307 V-8 forged pistons for the pin ht and seems like a .030 was .080 in the 292? Anyway, they built enough to know the tricks, also I remember the head, when porting they ground out a 250 head to the point that we had a "access" hole where one of the old cyl head bolts were and a countersunk bolt that was installed in the intake port area, crazy I tell you. End of story, the financer of said project lost steam and sold off, never heard what happend to that beast....

chryslerfan55 and Okie Pete like this.
  19. panic

panic

235, a 261 which is a high deck 235

Same stroke, same deck.

Baumi likes this.
  20. You probably have a 292 .Look at the motor mounts . If they are in the same place on both sides you have a 250 . If they are staggered you have a 292 .

21. hoggyrubber

hoggyrubber

that picture looks like a 292.

22. xsparts

xsparts

Hi the engine in the pics is a 292

23. xsparts

xsparts

Hi we just finished a car we call the Herminator and it is running a 292 as well but we hav'nt made it to the track yet, but tou can search it and see pics my friend Bob has them posted here somewhere

24. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've got one on the engine stand in the garage getting ready to go in the 48. It was free, My buddy said I needed it.
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

25. HomeBrewKustoms

HomeBrewKustoms

Hey Guys here is my HUGE BIG MEAN ACTION PACK 194!!!!!!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Baumi likes this.
  26. A Chopped Coupe

A Chopped Coupe

292 or 302 is the way to go.
    Back some 40+ years ago I had a 51/52 Chevy Htp with Corvette 235 with tripower, high lift rockers and headers. The car could really scare those 265/283 V8 guys, but I had a friend with a beautiful Red 50 Chevy convertible with 292. It had been rebuilt the right way and had headers......................we raced maybe 20 times and for the most part his stock 292 would pull me by a car length over 50% of the time...................and it only had the stock carb!!!!!!!!!!!!
    If I would build a Chevy 6 again it would be a 292/302, the sound is fantastic and the torque is enough to push you back in the seat.

27. rixrex

rixrex

Back in 67-68 we ran a 55 Chevy half-ton Pickup with a Kay Sissell prepared 292, was always neck and neck with my 327 55 sedan..I've still got a 65 tow-truck with a 292 innit..used to tow buildings with it, a fully furnished 20x40 building down Hwy.281...would like to have a GMC 302 but haven't a clue where to look, I'm always lurking old dumptrucks and such hoping to find a 409 or 302...

28. Kinky6

Kinky6

Hey, rixrex, FWIW, about 50% of the 302 GMC production was installed in military vehicles like 2 1/2 ton 6x6's, runway tugs, and such, from '52 through '59.

When I lived in western NC, I found one in a 6x6 in a local junkyard in Asheville. A lot of them were used up there as log skidders and well drilling rigs.

Later, Kinky6 :cool:

29. Jethro

Jethro
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm building a 30 Ford coupe with a 292....just started it for the first time with the injection setup I built......sounds real GOOD!....Should push me along just fine!
    [​IMG]
    That's a "shit eatin grin" if I ever saw one!

harpo1313, Okie Pete, fauj and 5 others like this.
  30. Truckedup

Truckedup

Military 302's are fine,but they don't have a machined pad for a mechanical fuel pump,might be some casting junk needed to be ground off for hot rod use and you might need and non military oil pan from a 228-302 depending on clearance issues and type of oil pump used.
    Complete 302's are not as heavy as people think,around 550 pounds with all the shit on it,the 292 might be lighter.