Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Stock-S/S-F/X 1959-1966

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Race Artist, Mar 2, 2008.

1. Thanks for the T-bolt photos Joel. Hope to see you at one of the T-bolt reunions this summer. I think Dearborn is going to be good!!

2. Piney

Piney

Here are some SS Fords from Indy 63'. Those were the days when the tech insprection was ta the supermarket parking lot in Claremont and some of the cars were driven to the track. Those were fun times

Attached Files:

3. Piney

Piney

Here's another of the suavest man to drive an SS car Gas Rhonda. Never saw him dirty

Attached Files:

4. Race Artist

Race Artist

Piney, These shots are terrific! Thanks for posting them, glad to have you here with us. The second row of '63 Ford shots do not enlarge for me ... any chance of posting those again? There are not many shots out there documenting the '63 Fords as you've done. I'd love to see these enlarged at a higher resolution.
    Joel

5. Race Artist

Race Artist

Attached Files:

6. FunnyCar65

FunnyCar65
    from Colorado

Here's an interesting postcard I won on evil bay.The postcard is pretty common but the message on the back is kinda cool.

Attached Files:

7. jimdillon

jimdillon

The message is kind of cool but where is the stamp? They wrote out such a great message and then did what with the card? Pretty cool nevertheless-Jim

8. femadman

femadman

My guess would be they were passing those out in the pits,kinda like they do today.Or were giving to track owners,and promoters info to book match races.

9. straightaxle65

straightaxle65

Heres a shot of Mr Norms 65 A/FX car sitting next to the Charger F/C in the back of the Grand Spaulding shop in 1968.

Attached Files:

10. Falconred

Falconred

Good stuff fellows, keep it up.

11. X2
    Piney the photos are great!!! Can you re-post the bottom row as Joel said? These are great shots and I'd like to see them enlarged.:D

12. My office is at 700 E.Joppa Rd., right up the street from Vernon's old shop.....

13. Piney, is there anyway you could repost the Galaxie photos so they will enlarge???

Thanks

14. wally bell

wally bell
    from VA.

Great E-Bay find.
    Vernon was one hell of a competitor...
    Always ran good....(with the old paper tiger)...

15. wally bell

wally bell
    from VA.

Vernon Rowley

Attached Files:

16. Piney

Piney

Joel,
    Just getting around to it again. I'll try to repost them in a better format so you can enlarge them

17. Race Artist

Race Artist

Thanks, we are looking forward to seeing them. Please add any information that you have on the pictures as well ... locations, dates, remembrences, etc.
    Joel

18. Race Artist

Race Artist

Here's a modern picture of the restored Phil Bonner Big Sam '62 Ford. This was a few years ago at least before the restored car had the teardrop hood added and still had the steel wheels much closer to the way the cars were back then. (which I like) Its not my photo, I'm not sure who took it, maybe my friend Marv. Smith. Last I heard the car was owned by Ed Lavender of Georgia.
    Joel

Attached Files:

19. http://www.mecum.com/auctions/lot_d...edium=email&utm_campaign=SC0509_22609_galaxie

Hey Joel, the car is now owned by Richard Ellis, but not for long(see link).

It was BAM SAM, "By All Means, See Al Means".

Big Sam was Les Ritchey then Dave Lyall's Bob Ford effort. It was even on the Len Richter T-bolt early on before the "Thunderbolt" lettering.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2009
  20. Race Artist

Race Artist

Thanks Jody! I got my big Fords mixed up there ... that one vintage B&W shot of the car is great.
    Joel

21. MT63AFX

MT63AFX

Piney, great shots from Indy in 63. Do you have any more of the #997 S/S M/T car? My son and I are currently restoring (more cleanup than restoring, LOL) the LWG once driven by Butch Leal, Thanks, Rod.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2009
  22. 56 Pontiac I/SA

56 Pontiac I/SA
    from Maryland

I just had my first 'Bee On Video' experience, courtesy of Jim Amos Productions.

Just last week I sent Jim a few hundred feet of my old (62-66) 8 mm Drag-Racing footage and yesterday I got it back along with the DVD conversion. Jim graciously included a few of his offering along with my DVD.

Last night I viewed (1 hour, 56 min) of the 'NHRA Springnationals 1965 - 1968.' Having been there, I 'pretty much' had an idea what the footage would be like, but I was pleasantly surprised at the quality-level of the production. The many interviews Jim conducted ... Ronnie Sox, Hubert Pratt, Ron Mancini, Jack Werst, etc., were 'worth the price of admission.'

Jim even filmed an 'on location' (narrated) short piece as he took a leisurely drive from the staging lanes to (1/2 mile away) the 'emergency sand trap' at the very end of Bristol's 'Thunder Valley.' What a great idea!

Kudos Jim!

*Contact Jim @ [email protected] (http://beeonvideo.homestead.com/ ) or call him @ (866) 385-2025

[​IMG]

23. Jim is a great guy and puts out an awesome product. What was on the film that you sent him?

24. 56 Pontiac I/SA

56 Pontiac I/SA
    from Maryland

Lets see ... 75-80 1962 and 67, Capitol 1964/65, York 1963, and a *couple hundred feet (mostly shot from the pit-side stands) of my visit (as a spectator) to the second NHRA Springnationals (Bristol, TN) in 1966. The whole thing combined equaled only 31 minutes. *The tiny (50') 8mm spools where only about 5 minutes long back then.

25. 75-80 in 1962 is very interesting to me. Does it contain any Super Stock action? My father won many times in '61-'62 there with his red '61 Starliner.

26. Parts13

Parts13
    from New Mexico

A while back I posted some info on Tommy McNeely. I was supposed to hear from his wife when he had his surgery, but had not heard anything. I work part time doing vehicle inspections and received a case in of all places, Monahans, TX, the home of TM. I called Monday and found out he was in hospital. Had a stint put in and while at Dr office had a serious un related problem so back to the hospital he went. He got out Tuesday and I took him and his wife Shelby to dinner. We had a good time talking bout the good ole days when he raced with Dick Harrell and then with his wheel standers and other cars. He has promised me that if he can stay out of the hospital (been in 4 times so far this year) he will get on line and get on this form and tell some of his experiences.
    Joel, he would love to hear from you. If you don't have his number let me know.
    Larry

27. Parts13

Parts13
    from New Mexico

28. Sad news from Pocono drag Lodge. Racers George "the Rebel" Whalen and Chester "Timberman" Kilmer have passed away recently.

29. Race Artist

Race Artist

Hi Larry,
    Thanks for the update on Tommy. Please send his number to my email that we usually communicate on. [email protected]
    Joel

30. Race Artist

Race Artist

Here's a scan from the 1963 Five Flags drag Fiesta meet in Pensacola, FL. This is scanned from the event program. Allen Hyder in, I believe a Super Duty aluminum nose '62 Pontiac. Hubert Platt with Dyno Don's '62 Bel Air is just off the track in the background.
    Joel

Attached Files: