Register now to get rid of these ads!

Flatoz's new cruiser '55 Olds.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flatoz, Apr 6, 2009.

1. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Awesome, I remember on OzRodders(?) when you first got it out here. Great to see its almost on the road and the family still want to cruize along!

Sell me your roadster.....(In my best Jake Blues accent), your children....sell me your children.....
    Doc.

2. Nice car Flatoz, I like it a lot...I got my 1953 Chevy Hard top registered last Thursday and cant get out of it...

3. sideshowrob

sideshowrob
    from australia

that's ace that it on the road, hope there's no more finds like that rear hose.......

4. claymore

claymore
    BANNED

Nice one mate. Happy to see you got through engineering OK.

5. flatoz

flatoz

convoluted story, as I come from up that area I know mechanics from up there. probably like you, I do most of my own work and only send out what I really can't ( roadworthys is one, gas conversion another)

One of the things I wont touch even though I have the manual and poured over it was the Auto, my thoughts being that if I break this bitch open and then can't get it to go I'm screwed.

So the plan all along was to take it to Tim as I had spoken to him about it, he has built some nice autos for locals and he knew of the Hydra's which alot dont as we didn't get them here really.

I knew Tim ran a workshop but not that he did Roadies, so killed two birds with one stone so to speak.

Paint. not sure. open to suggestions.

I don't mind the blue/white. I'm not sold on the car yet, as it sits too high, once I can see the 'stance' I might be able to get over that.

At the moment I feel I need a double breasted suit, hat and pipe to be driving this thing:eek: along the lines of my three sons...

6. 55olds88

55olds88

Hey don't take the piss out of my Suit and hat deal :)

7. Kilroy

Kilroy
    from Orange, Ca

The shots of the inside of the carb made me start craving some Miso Soup...

Nice work! Cool family cruiser.

8. flatoz

flatoz

9. flatoz

flatoz

55olds,

is this you checking yourself out in the mirror before heading off to a hard days work.

[​IMG]

and finally home, relaxing after a stressful time negating traffic and trying to get the 'barge' sorry Olds to stop in modern traffic.

[​IMG]

10. 55olds88

55olds88

pretty much, where are my slippers ???

11. Does this help Corey...:D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As for paint, redo the factory blue and just drive it.

12. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You can just see the stress, is that a street map to plan out braking?:D

13. DRUGASM

DRUGASM

that thing looks bitchin going down the road. it must be nice to know you wont see another one coming down the road. i built my daily truck with some nice parts (lift tires grille) and have seen about 3 duplicates in my town. and to boot i saw a 50 chev in a back yard thats the same paint scheme as mine.

that photo with the altered altitude is cool. glad to see you built ( or are building) a car the whole family can enjoy.

keep the photos coming. DREW

14. flatoz

flatoz

you know it does!:) I think the old barge might grow on me yet. maybe thats what I'm lacking, the photoshop skills. looking at the suspension though, not sure how I'm going to get the front that low, but damn that is more what my minds eye sees for this car. was thinking a 60's rake, but maybe some taildragging action is what is required.

thanks Brett!

15. Anytime Corey, but its about the limit of my photoshop skills. I'm still learning. I can do coour variations and a bit of trim removal, but thats it....

I think lowering it evenly so the sills are flat would be best. The trim will give it the taildragger look as it all runs downhill.

16. unclechop

unclechop

Nice olds.
    My wife drive's my 54 pontiac 3spd man everyday (she has no choice) to drop the kids off to school and the like. just have to be careful with heat soak and doing quick restarts.
    Touch wood no dramas so far-havent even adjusted the drum brakes yet.
    Gets a lot of frowns at the local school though(from the other mums).
    There was an olds motor on ebay a few weeks ago in qld I will see if i can dig up a contact.

17. LoSoto

LoSoto

That is a special looking machine.
    Congratulations.
    Love the 'shopped taildragger look, thinkin of going tail down only on the Soto too.....awesome!

18. T A I L D R A G G E R look me thinks....

I got me some springs just sitting in the shed hehe....

Rat

19. unclechop

unclechop

Are they coils or leaves in the rear?

20. Mate,

Looks awesome!

D

21. great to see it in motion finally, with each step forward in that cars journey, to see it legal and alive is a great achievement, congrats.

:D:D

Somehow I think that ole slug still has 'life' left in it yet....:):D

22. 68wagon

68wagon

that looks sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet glad to hear its on the road

23. CheapCat

CheapCat
    from Illinois

You have yourself one nice ride there. Enjoy driving the wheels off it!

24. rare32

rare32

well done flatoz, cool looking car and as you pointed out its nice to drive something you dont see everyday even at rod runs!
    I bought a 57 buick hardtop a few months back (Murray from CruizinTV had it) and have done similar things (brakes, wiring, some minor steering issues etc) but I am getting close once the box is sorted.
    It will make a good family cruiser.

25. Bobert

Bobert
    Member Emeritus

you know it does!:) I think the old barge might grow on me yet. maybe thats what I'm lacking, the photoshop skills. looking at the suspension though, not sure how I'm going to get the front that low, but damn that is more what my minds eye sees for this car. was thinking a 60's rake, but maybe some taildragging action is what is required.

Not sure what the '55 has for a front suspension, king pin or ball joint. I have a pair of 2" drop uprights that I bought thinking they fit a '50 but they do not as the upper eye is much larger than used on a '50. I was told they are Bell uprights. You'd have to drop your steering arms.

26. flatoz

flatoz

Thanks all, looking forward to getting this sorted out, made some inroads yesterday with getting the carb to be closer to WOT, as it was only getting about 1/2 throttle. so it performs a bit better now, but if I can modify the original linkage to open the carb all the way I think I might get over the slug issue somewhat.

27. striper

striper

Yep, air and fuel helps some