Register now to get rid of these ads!

Things to do in Detroit area?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TRAVEZ, Apr 7, 2009.

1. TRAVEZ

TRAVEZ

Works calls again and it looks like I will be in the Detroit area ( Warren, MI) again. I was just there a couple weeks back and I might be there a little longer this time. I was wondering if I could get some suggestions for car things to do. I am bringing my skateboard as well. Any input would be appreciated!

_T

2. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Buy houses for $13,000 or less, or if you are really feeling crazy buy a block! Dodge Bros house is supposed to be pretty cool and I am sure there is a Museum or two to check out.

3. 9SECONDYENKO

9SECONDYENKO
    from usa

Go to the Henry Ford museum (very cool)

4. Daddiojoe

Daddiojoe
    from Austin, TX

Auburn Hills-- Chrysler Museum (be sure to visit the basement)

Dearborn-- Henry Ford Museum (second to the Smithsonian--waaaaay cool. Plan for all day). Includes a Tucker, Starfire show car, the old 999, Byrd's South Pole planes, Lincoln's death chair, Kennedy's death car, Edison's last breath, amaaaaaazing collection.

Ypsilanti--Independent Museum w/ a working Hudson parts counter. Kaisers, Henry J, and info on the Tucker. Nice Kaiser Darrin if you've never seen one.

Let us know what you end up doing,

Joe

5. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

Go to a Red Wings game at Joe Louis arena. Drink yourself stupid with incredible microbrews at the Atwater Block Brewery. Splurge on some adult entertainment at Bouzoukis in Greektown. Try not to get shot

6. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

downtown has beautiful architecture, and looks like someone dropped a neutron bomb on it eliminating all life in the area. Lock your doors and go for a cruise.

I've heard if you go across the border into Windsor they have gambling and great stripclubs.

Ford museum is a must see. Check it out while it still has funding.

Chrysler museum, ehhh not so much. Although it is kinda neat to see a freakishly well preserved 84 shelby omni or dodge charger.

7. jusjunk

jusjunk
    BANNED
    from Michigan

ford museum is cool.. there is an auto museum right next to it that ive never been in.. Greek town is fun . I just go for the food as im not a gambler. how long you gonna be in town? I dont have a job right now so im free for anything :)... Id think the skateboard stuff would be right downtown by the water front but im not a boarder .. (too fucking old)
    Dave

8. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Right across the street from the Hudson dealership is The Sidetrack Grill, rated as one of the top 10 places in the country for a burger. We go about once a week. If you visit the Hudson place this is a must.

Travez, Let me know and I'll get a HAMB group together one evening for burgers there.

9. jusjunk

jusjunk
    BANNED
    from Michigan

Food is fair .... I dont think its a top 10 in the world . Dont matter who rated it .. The hudson dealership is cool though ...
    Dave

10. Danimal

Danimal
    1. A-D Truckers

GQ top 10 burgers. A nice place to eat. I do lunch once in a while.

Let me know when you are in town and I'll try to hook up. Just came from the GM Warren Tech Center. Maybe they'll still be in business when you get here...

11. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

Beat me to it!!!!! +1 for Bazoookis!!!!

12. 2Hep

2Hep

There's the Chrysler Museum, The Henry Ford/Greenfeild Village, If you're going to Warren you can drive by the GM Design Site (Where I work) and see soem cool 1950's Buildings design by Sarien. The Detroit Historical Museum across the street from the DIA (Art Museum) and near the Detroit Public Lib. is pretty cool as it gives the History of Detroit and why it became what it became, they have a cool little basement self walk tour (I sent my Parents there when they came out to visit from NY and they enjoyed it, has alot of Auto related info) There's lots of old building still up...alot of Detroiters do not realize this but Detroit and LA are sister cities and alot of the building style are the same, however LA grew and expanded while everyone left Detroit for the 'burbs and much of the style remains (what hasn't been torn down) and Architecture Students from LA aswell as other places come to Detroit to see what LA looked like the '40's-'60's. Crazy huh?-
    There's places to eat, everyone's tastes are different. There's a Skatepark in Berkley I believe and one in Troy? I'll double check again...I still rawk my wide McGill that I had in Highschool...don't get out much on the board.
    If you're good at welding you can help me weld my '56's roof back together....hahahahah! I kill me....no really I can't believe I hacked it up... anyway
    There is a swap meet coming up in Davisburg if you're out there then in a few weeks April 16th I believe- That's about 45minutes north of Warren up I-75. bring Cash heheh
    I think there's a couple cruise in starting up...anybody on here with the latest issue of "cruise news" that will list car stuff going on. I let my subscription run out...oops.
    -B

13. littlebrain

littlebrain
    from detroitish

for skating, try landslide skatepark (landslidesk8.com) in clinton township, oakland vert (oaklandvert.com) in sterling heights or modern skatepark (madison heights)...

14. Fish Tank

Fish Tank

Avoid Jessica Moran and Tiffiny DePoy...

(two of my X's)

15. lowbiz

lowbiz

the modern skate park is brand new, indoor, and siiick! south east corner of stephenson hwy and 12 mile, not to far from warren. theres also an outdoor skate park north of 15 mile off of mound, havent been to that one, just driven by and seen the sign. as soon as this shitty weather breaks people will start to cruise woodward ave, ill be out there real soon. i would also recommend the Berkley Front on 12 mile in Berkley for a burger and a ton of beers on tap, i think its around 40. Red Coat Tavern in Royal Oak on woodward, amazing burgers!!!!! and Dugans Irish Pub across the street from red coat, lots of car memorabilia a great burger called the big chief and a nice place to hang out and watch cars when they open the windows upstairs. i work with 2hep at the GM tech center in Warren so keep an eye out for a red oxide 63 biscayne moredoor.

Rob

16. Grab an old issue of Hot Rod or any small book from the 50's and 60's.

Look for an add of your favorite OEM or aftermarket parts producer.

Write down the address from their location in Detroit.

Google directions to its location, because you don't want to get lost or have to ask for directions with in the city limits of Detriot, TRUST ME!

See what it looks like today. Both the Packard Plant and the Kelsley Hayes Plant are a sight to see.

17. Daddiojoe

Daddiojoe
    from Austin, TX

EXCELLENT advice, Payne. What a cool tour that would be. Johnny 1290--I've always thought that the architecture in San Antonio is strangely similar to Detroit, too. FWIW.

I forgot about the Detroit Institute of Art--there's a most excellent Diego Rivera mural there--Four Huge Walls! w/ lots of factory/dignity of the Worker imagery.

I grew up in MI, would visit Detroit occasionally, Hamtramck (anyone remember Paycheck's?), saw the Cramps at St. Andrew's Hall in '84 or so.

Have fun,
    Joe

18. cheapskate

cheapskate

If you are in the area of Detroit Art Institute and Detroit Historical Museum, go a little further downtown and tour the Guardian Building. It is the largest brick skyscraper in the world. It is art deco, and never fell into disrepair. It is unique. The "basement " at the Detroit Historical Museum already recommended is also unique and worth your time. Grab a couple of Coneys at the Lafayette Coney Island for an old Detroit treat. As previously mentioned, know where you are going and don't get lost.

19. kmfdm242

kmfdm242
    from phx az

Take a ride through Downtown, very cool buildings (atleast the structures). Check out the old train station. Like others said, lock your doors and get out before it gets dark. Windsor is cool. Take the Bridge. I used to go to Cheetahs if you do the strip club thing. It is close to the the tunnel off of Riverside. Have fun. I miss the Michigan summers.

20. DePoy

DePoy

You know this post shows up on Google, don't you? Funny how what people say in person and online don't always fit together. Kudos for not saying anything excessively obnoxious, but still trashy. See ya around.

21. Deuces

Deuces

22. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

Hey DePoy! Do an intro!

:rolleyes:;):D:eek:

hey, someone had to say it!

Hers has to be the funniest post I've seen on the HAMB in a long time !!!! LMAO!!!

23. Shovel Snow!-The way the weather has been lately you may have to shovel a bit to clear a spot to skateboard :D

24. riseabove_xxx

riseabove_xxx
    from Michigan

there is nothing to do besides sit on the HAMB all day long. way to cold to be outside.