Register now to get rid of these ads!

Oddball engine of the day

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Halfton65, Apr 6, 2009.

1. Halfton65

Halfton65

This was given to me today. The lady I got it from had no idea what it came from, but it looked good hanging from the rafters in her shop and I had to have it. Any ideas?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Carb is Tillotson model YC3A
    Spark plug- Champion 6COM62

Measures about 20" plug to plug

2. Cool lookin mini-mill if ya ask me.
    :cool:

3. ncrodder13

ncrodder13

its a 2 stroke right?

4. Halfton65

Halfton65

It was hanging from the rafters(hung up by her husband 20+ yrs ago) carb down, yellow wires supporting it. The distributor has an alligator clip type adjustor for moving the timing(about 20 degrees overall).

5. That one and one more will make two of those that I've seen. Looks like just the excuse you need to build some little kid his or her first hot rod.

6. ncrodder13

ncrodder13

i mess on alotta small engines and havent seen a 2stroke opposed v-twin pm me if you figure it out im curious, and the exhausts w.t.h. is with that?

7. phagar

phagar
    from Tulsa, OK

Im probably wrong, but the first thing I thought of is an old wash machine engine.

8. jonnycola

jonnycola

I have a bunch of them. Looks like a Mccullough

They're from old drone airplanes. You know, the ones they used to practice shooting down.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 6, 2009
  9. I could think of more than a few things that could be used for, that's for sure!
    Any plans for it? Restore the engine, or make a project of some sort, or?

10. ncrodder13

ncrodder13

11. Thats right , it's a military drone motor .
    They made them in single cylinder also .
    I think they were also used in unmanned , spy planes .
    Very cool , old motors .

12. jonnycola

jonnycola

Check your old hot rod magazines... I've seen the bigger four cylinder versions in small front engine dragsters.

13. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You used to be able to go out in the desert near some of the military practice ranges and pick these thing up out of the sand. I'm sure there's still a lot of them laying out there covered with sand. Jonnycola is correct, they were built by McCullough, of chain saw fame.

Had to edit, 'cause I meant you could pick up the engines. The airframes of the drones were usually pretty trashed.

14. Wow that is super cool...bet most had a very short life span....;):p

15. Flatheadguy

Flatheadguy

McCullough. Yes, two-stroke. Quite common back in the 60s to power gyrocopters. You know, those sorta helicopter looking things that look a bit weird, but reportedly flew nicely. Don't know much about them, but that's what it is.

16. Halfton65

Halfton65

17. Halfton65

Halfton65

Just holding onto it for now. But if I could get a distributor cap for it....

18. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Actually, they got their panties in quite a bunch if you shot at the drone, you were suppose to shoot at the target they pulled. Ask me how I know:D

Attached Files:

19. Halfton65

Halfton65

I know these engines make great garage art. But are they worth anything?

20. Cool find. Mini boxers.

21. rixrex

rixrex

Aeronca in the 30s built a four-stroke engine very similar to that to power their little C3 single place high wing tail-dragger...

22. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

I could see that powering a mini-airboat in a fun piece for you and the kids.
    Not too fast but loud and fun.

23. junk fiend

junk fiend

thats really cool, i didnt know they had drones back in the day, thought it was a ultra light engine at first. my dad used to race desert and the only thing his seen sticking out of the dirt was bombs.

24. Scotch

Scotch

A mini sprint car go kart with that engine in front would be really kick ass...It's air-cooled so it'd be relatively easy...I bet there's a compatible dist cap out there from something. Cool find!

25. carbking

carbking

The carburetor was sold by Tillotson to the Righter Company for use, as stated above, on a "target" aircraft. Sale date was 1943. The pictures are upside down. The carburetor is an updraft, which hangs under the manifold, not on top.

Jon.

26. Halfton65

Halfton65

Any recommendations on where to find a dist cap or propeller? I'd just like to make it look more complete for now. Any ideas on value on this engine?