Register now to get rid of these ads!

History NHRA Junior Stock

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by colesy, Aug 12, 2007.

1. 56 Pontiac I/SA

56 Pontiac I/SA
    from Maryland

Mark ... KUDOS! A very-well-done production indeed!

... Just thinking (fantasizing, actually) ... remember Martin Scorsese's excellent film 'The Last Waltz'? http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0077838/ Wouldn't a similarly-crafted drag-racing themed film be really great!

2. 442Mike

442Mike

I've been meaning to do the same but don't have the time. I've got tons of Super Stock and Drag Racing USA buried in my closet. One day I will....:(

3. DRAG.INC

DRAG.INC

any more history on this olds?what happened to it?does it exist today.i remember it in a gas station on montgomery rd,(silverton area of cincy).that's a long time ago.about 1970.

4. 57 delivery

57 delivery
    from Edgely,Pa.

Do you remember a 56 2 door wagon that ran out of Alex Jarrell's called "The Bachelor"?? My buddy from work built it and ran it in the day but doesn't have any decent shots left of it. Ring a bell???

5. 57 delivery

57 delivery
    from Edgely,Pa.

Your "stuff" collection is unreal !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. 57 delivery

57 delivery
    from Edgely,Pa.

Can you really have too many old magazines???????????? I do understand the too little time end of it though. thanks for posting this

7. Rocket Surgeon

Rocket Surgeon
    from Central NJ

Mr. Mackey;
    Thanks for the reply. What, too many holes in the top of the frame? Just kidding of course, but why not nave gotten another frame. An idea for a new thread; Acts of cheating you did or know of.

8. Rocket Surgeon

Rocket Surgeon
    from Central NJ

X-Tech-Man;Regarding your thread on the class racer forum "What If". How about a true Nostalgia S/S,Jr.Stock program using cars built to the S/S configurations of,say,1978; Jr stock of 1969. No trans brakes,crank driven water pumps and alternaters. 9" bias ply slicks for Jr.Stk.

9. TMcCrea

TMcCrea
    from Maryland

Nope. Of course my CRS is getting worse every day. I still have to deal with the gap in my racing between the years of 1966-1969. I missed a lot of good stuff while I was out of the country.

10. X-TECH MAN

X-TECH MAN
    from Florida

Well it sounds good for old guys like us and I started the "Pure stock" class in IHRA years ago when I worked for them for 22 years with basicly the same rules except unfortunatly its open for the newer cars also. There is so much bitching and complaining any more that Im having my doubts that I will continue with a sportsman association. If it does come to be then the "pure stock" class will be included with a name change to "Jr. Stock" and maybe limit the year to 1971 max. Right now the catagory starts at 8 lbs per HP and goes 15 lbs per HP in full lb breaks (8, 9, 10, 11, etc.. If you read the comments on the racers forum then you know what Im talking about. The FWD (slugs) cars a joke when it comes to spectator intrest.:cool:

Last edited: Apr 6, 2009
  11. Rocket Surgeon

Rocket Surgeon
    from Central NJ

I'm talking about a bracket type race with cars that were run in S/S and jr. stock. True to the way the ran then,not this crap being passed off as "nostalgia".

12. Rocket Surgeon

Rocket Surgeon
    from Central NJ

I mean the cars that were parked at the end of '69, the end of '71 ,the end of '74. Real super stockers and jr. stockers. This would be in it's own seperate combo elimanator.

13. 56 Pontiac I/SA

56 Pontiac I/SA
    from Maryland

Colesy ... Leave it to you to come up with something really DIFFERENT!

[​IMG]

Even though I worked as a shop foreman at a (MD) Ford dealership in '65, I never knew about that combo being configured (albeit, very 'limited') by Ford ... Canadian, or otherwise.

Guess it makes sense, as Ford DID offer a fairly-lame (2V) 260 cu. In. engine in the 'Falcon Sprint' around that time period.

That 271/289 was really pretty nice and very strong, with a hand-picked forged crank! But, alas, it was a bit overrated HP wise for (successful) NHRA Jr.Stock competition.

A friend of mine named Al Zittle (R.I.P.) bought a new, gray, 271/289 4-sp Mustang convertible at the dealer I worked at (Talbott Ford /AKA Bob Davidson Ford) in 1965.

Al put a scattershield, 'lakes plugs,' (no headers) and Caslers on it, took it to York US 30 pretty soon after he got it. He turned a few (very disappointing) mid fourteens in (as I recall) D/S ... best I know, he never returned to (compete at) a strip again!

See (probably) MORETHANYOUREALLYWANNAKNOW about the short-lived 271/289 small-block Ford engine @ ... http://www.midcomustang.com/mustanghipo.shtml

14. 57 delivery

57 delivery
    from Edgely,Pa.

Yeah, please as that'll make for interesting reading now won't it...........

15. 56 Pontiac I/SA

56 Pontiac I/SA
    from Maryland

OK guys ... this 'could be' interesting.

How about 'IF' (knowing what you know NOW) you could 'go back in time' to (let's say) 1967 and build an NHRA Jr. Stocker.

What would it be?

OK, (I just knew you'd ask) how bout me?

Well, knowing what I learned (6 months after I put it together) I'd still build a 227/317 (Hydro) '56 Pontiac 2-dr Hardtop for (then) !/SA.

Yes, a 2-dr 'Hardtop' (16.21 on a 15.60-to-16.99 'weight break'). Why? ... Thought you'd never ask!

Well, by '68 the break was 16.00-16.99, sooo, (If I built it correctly) I woulda had two 'good' years, before the (NHRA) 'S*%# hit the fan' in 1969!

This time, I'd ...

'Spring for the buck$,' and ...

* Use 'grenade-motor' super-light Dykes-Ringed Teflon-Buttoned 'MicroMini'-Skirted Forged Trues, with tapered pins, instead of the 'bucks down' lightly 'trimmed,' skinny-ringed TRWs I used.

* I'd 'forget prudence' and slice yet-another inch or more from the 3/4" 'C-Shaped' cut I made in the *torque convertor (*actually, it's a fluid coupler).

* I'd (this is a 'biggie') have a competent machinist increase the width of the grooves in the rod and main bearing 'inserts' by about 30%.

*Lastly, I'd (once more) 'throw caution to the wind' and cough up 70 bucks for a Lunati or Cam Dynamics (*inhanced) *'rate of lift' cam, and toss the useless Crane 'blueprinted' cam I used!

I figure this would (at least) be worth 3-4 tenths and (now in the fourteen 00's/teens :D), give me (at least) 'a shot' at Archie and 'Lil' George!

*Oh well ... At least its been fun to fantasize!

OK fellows ... I've 'spilled my guts' ... now how bout you?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. 57 delivery

57 delivery
    from Edgely,Pa.

I am taking notes from the Chevy guys responses on this one. Maybe next year at the 2010 York reunion my Delivery will have a NHRA Jr. Stock legal engine in it...Great Idea,Steve

17. X-TECH MAN

X-TECH MAN
    from Florida

Thank you.....The exhaust system with mufflers (flowmasters) is with a short turn down off of the mufflers which is required if you run headers. The pipes do not have to go all the way back. If you run stock cast iron exhaust manifolds you can run open ehaust (lakes plugs or just a short pipe off of the manifolds.)

Last edited: Apr 6, 2009
  18. Old Tech Inspector

Old Tech Inspector
    from USA

Everything sounds workable except for one thing. Leave the fluid coupling alone. Higher stall speed works fine on the Gassers with a Hydro, not so well on your low reving Pontiac. There is no torque multiplication with your Hydro's fluid coupling, your low first gear is enough.
    Also don't forget to use perfect circle 4 piece oil rings(chrome) cut the inner expander and use a fish scale to make sure you have less than 12# drag with all rings on piston. Hone cylinders with no crosshatch with 500 grit. Install and torque main bearing caps first.
    Machine every other impeller blade on the water pump off.
    There is more...

19. Use a later model windage tray if it'll fit. Drill some extra holes in it. Fabricate a crankshaft scraper. Weld a baffle to the back of the pan behind the pickup.
    Clip the oil filter bypass spring so you don't push that oil through the filter at higher RPM's.

20. 56 Pontiac I/SA

56 Pontiac I/SA
    from Maryland

Thanks 'OldTech,' but my Pontiac liked the 'trimmed' fluid coupler blades (we tried it both ways) as pre-'57 Pontiacs (and Oldmobiles) had really limited (aftermarket) rear cogs to choose from. Most of us *scrounged the junk yards for 4:30 rear-end gearsets found in many very-early 6-cylinder Olds wagons. *We actually found one good jackpot in an early Olds hearse!

As to the oil rings, I preferred Ramcos, with a pretty-much 'disabled' outer expander simply used to stabilize/position the rails.

And, by 1967, cylinders 'slowly (plate) honed' with a very-fine stones (no crosshatch) as well as very-careful attention given to piston drag, (ring) end-gap size and spacing had really become standard operating procedure within our ranks.

21. X-TECH MAN

X-TECH MAN
    from Florida

We used to use a stroker crank, ported heads, and a larger lift cam like everyone else did.........LOL:D

22. WagonKiller

WagonKiller
    BANNED

Is there no form of racing that NO ONE tries to "Beat the system"?

23. Jim Pizzi

Jim Pizzi

Its only cheating when you get caught!

24. X-TECH MAN

X-TECH MAN
    from Florida

nope !:d Its done even more so today due to technology and the lack of tech inspections.

25. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

two kinds of racers....losers and cheaters

26. Rocket Surgeon

Rocket Surgeon
    from Central NJ

27. DW31S

DW31S
    from Sparks,MD

Hey Mike, I still haven't figured out how all the different replies here work so--- I 'll say that I will certainly try to make the OCA Nats. Thanks for the message and info. Yourf picture and reward look great- you should be proud. Keep in touch, Dave.

28. Rocket Surgeon

Rocket Surgeon
    from Central NJ

Searched my old Raceway News' to get my facts straight. Hamburger lost the driveshaft in the semi's, and Joe fouled out in the final and Ed limped to the win. Sorry for the errors, but hey, it's 35+ yrs.

I've forgotten more than I ever knew.

29. Rocket Surgeon

Rocket Surgeon
    from Central NJ

Found a picture of John Mason's Cobra-Jet Mustang losing the race to Gary Wood but getting the win because Wood failed post race inspection.

30. cheaters are losers your build should be legal but have to read between the lines if they don't say you can't do it's legal!