Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Fenders or no on a 34 ford sedan??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by trailer-Ed, Apr 6, 2009.

1. trailer-Ed

trailer-Ed
    from JC, MO

I'm having a hard time trying to decide wether or not to run fenders on my 34 Ford sedan. If I go sans fenders I want to rid the frame and body of bolt locations etc, but on the other hand I have 2 full sets of nice fenders with all the fixins. My frame is original and a little pitted here and there so a highboy will require lots of frame prep work. The car has a 4" chop. I'm just undecided as have may have a buyer for the fenders, and I hate to start filling holes and decide to go fendered. Just wanting pics and opinions. Thanks in advance, Rusty.

2. Gerg

Gerg

personally i prefer fenders... but really its up to you

3. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

Personally I like sedans best with fenders. And since you have that full set, it wouldn't require too much more work to use them.

4. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

I like mine with 'em...
    [​IMG]

5. trailer-Ed

trailer-Ed
    from JC, MO

Dude your car is awsome!!!

6. Wheelless

Wheelless

Mazooma's car is a pretty good point of reference for putting the fenders back on. That car is nice!!

7. pinman 39

pinman 39

Damn Mazooma1 You have always got something funny to say as well as a great
    lookin 34 !

8. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

Thanks gents. :)
    '33 and '34's look good with fenders because the lines flow so nicely.
    Their profile is hard to beat. They have a real style all of their own. This is not quite a 3 inch chop.
    [​IMG]

9. trailer-Ed

trailer-Ed
    from JC, MO

Your car pretty well made my mind up to put on the fenders. I have a really nice body to work from, just missing a few esentials, like $$$grill$$$ hood and a couple garnishes. Most of the other stuff I need is available realitively cheap. My chop may be a little much, how much is yours??

10. rustymetal

rustymetal

11. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

Mazooma...I'll see your fenderd 34 and raise you a fenderless...:)

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  12. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

Its almost a 3 inch chop, windshield is California legal at 8". Anything less would be like driving through a mail slot...your roof filled?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

[​IMG]

that looks like a girl at the prom without her dress.

...oh wait. that's a good thing. nevermind.

I like fenders.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2009
  14. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

I like it Larry, I really do. It just doesn't have the flow I was looking for, but I see your point. The next car will be fenderless, but it won't be a '33/'34.

15. trailer-Ed

trailer-Ed
    from JC, MO

My car had an amature chop and fill at best. I bought another rough roof and almost have mine fixed and squared back up etc. But the morons cut out the tack strip support that goes around the perimeter of the roof! I have the one out of my other roof, but still a bitch getting it all welded in and keeping the warpage down. Mine is a 4" chop approx now, I had to drop it a bit more to fix moron's mistakes. But I have another rear window section, so I plan to enlarge the rear window by about 1 1/2 inches. From the belt line down my car is pretty cherry and solid, super floors etc. Doors do need a little lower patching, and hinge repair. Driver door looks to have blown open at some point in it's life and sprung it a bit. I got the original steel fenders with it, which are average, a full set of new glass fenders with all the hardware, and a couple extra glass fenders. They also bobbed the rear horns all the way to the rear crossmember, I have a pair of 32 rear horns I'm going to try and make work, but they are a bit short, but I can fab up some fillers. I just have to decide on fenders or not so that I can move forward on this project in a couple areas. Looking like full fenders and full hood, but I change my mind daily!!

16. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

Well, what ever you do, take your time.
    Post some photos when you can so we can see how your doing or if you have any questions.
    Doug

17. fuel pump

fuel pump
    Member Emeritus
    from Caro,MI

18. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

Coupes--No Fenders
    Sedan---Fenders

19. ringo 57

ringo 57
    from minnesota

fenders

Attached Files:

20. Fenders make the lines work, so definitely fenders.

21. HotRodDaddy-O

HotRodDaddy-O

Hell YES!

22. bill3337

bill3337

Gotta say I'm a fan of the fenders too, although there are some really sharp looking hi-boys. Where we are (off the west coast of Canada) we get lots of rainy days and all the road crap can tear the hell out of the paint jobs without fenders. Bill

23. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

It would help if we could see some pics of your car. A chopped sedan is always cool with or without fenders. Good luck with the project.

24. R.Allan

R.Allan
    BANNED
    from Ca

either way my favorite is the 34 by a long shot either way gets me goin'

25. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

33-34 Sedans need fenders, especially when chopped. The fenders actually accentuate the chopped top.

Same applies to 3W & 5W Coupes but they can be done without fenders and look wicked if not done in a cartoon fashion.

26. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hard decision but this works for me. Why do you need to fill the fender bolt holes? The holes show anyone that is paying attention that it's not a mail order frame. People that pay attention will understand the effort required to make an original frame that nice and have more respect for your efforts. If 10 years from now you want to change, just unbolt the headlight stands and add the fenders. JMO

PS I know it is a 33.:)

27. Can't say I've ever seen a 33/34 sedan without fenders that I liked, they always look like they're almost finished.