Register now to get rid of these ads!

Cooling System Becoming Less Efficient

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by blown240, Apr 5, 2009.

1. blown240

blown240
    from So-cal

The car is a 51 Chevy with a 54 235 and a 3 speed, its got an electric pusher fan only. When I first bought it, the temp gauge never got above 1/3. 4 years later its usually around 1/2, but today in some traffic it got up to about 3/4. So its time to do a little maintenance before it becomes trouble.

As it leaks a little coolant I have just been adding water. I am sure its all water by now, to the first thing is to drain it, flush it, and refill with 50/50 water and coolant. I will see how this does, then if I need more, I will convert the pusher fan to a puller, and in the process clean all the bugs out of the radiator.

Is there anything else I should do to make it run cooler?

2. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

well if it leaks it won't hold pressure which keeps the boiling point down. fix the leak.

3. blown240

blown240
    from So-cal

I am pretty sure that my car has a non pressure system.

4. RichG

RichG

Since your in there, pull and replace the thermostat. Be really thorough with the flush too, go all the way and pull the heater hoses off the firewall and see if they are gunked. I work with some folks that have had some good luck with "water wetter" too...

5. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

It didn't come with a 235, so did the cooling system get upgraded at all from the 216 one? It looks like 51 was the last year for non-pressurized cooling. For some reason I thought it was 48 for Chevy. Oh well. Regardless fix the leak.

6. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

I've used it in race bikes for years, and a few hot rods. It does help a little. Race bikes you can use no coolant, so it's straight water and water wetter. Had a 4 door Buick that would run a little warm, never overheated but was bothering me, water wetter took it from 200 to 190ish.

7. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I would put money on it being full of crap. Pull the radiator and have a shop clean it out. Also flush the motor, or better yet have a radiator shop power flush the motor.
    Then try running to 50/50 mix. If you live in a warm area DON'T PUT ANTI FREEZE in it!!
    Doc.

8. blown240

blown240
    from So-cal

I am in So-Cal it was 80ish today, sitting still on the freeway. Thats when it got to 3/4 hot. I thought antifreeze ran cooler than water.

9. you should really install a temp gauge that reads the actually engine temp accurately.

sorry , 1/3 , 1/2 and 3/4 really means nothing when your 58 year old gauge could be junk and read off

10. blown240

blown240
    from So-cal

Thats a good point.

11. willys33

willys33
    from New Mexico

First, remove the radiator, take it to a shop and have them clean it and fix the leak. Next, fill the coolant system with water and Cascade automatic dish washer soap. Run the engine up to temp and then flush the coolant system several times with just water. Once it comes clear fill with distilled water and anti-freeze mixture. The anti-freeze also acts as a lube as well as PH balance. Of course replace the hoses and thermostat. If you are still running a heater, make sure you flush that at the same time you clean/flush the engine. Your system will now work as well or better than when you first got the car.

12. RichG

RichG

I've got to remember the automatic dishwasher soap trick!

13. Paul2748

Paul2748

Another good flush is white vinegar. Fill the cooling system with it, run it around for a week and then flush with water a couple of times.

14. 69fury

69fury

actually, antifreeze is LESS efficient at thermal conduction than water-it's the other properties that are desirable - pump lubrication, higher boilpoint, lower freezepoint, ph balance, anti corrosion (ha), etc...

15. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Are you guys confusing anti-freeze with anit-boil additives? There is a difference. Anti-freeze does just that, wont do a damn thing about keeping it cool.