Register now to get rid of these ads!

35 chevy X member help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 35Chevy.com, Apr 5, 2009.

1. 35Chevy.com

35Chevy.com
    from New Jersey

Below are pics of the frame on my 35 chevy. I set the engine and trans in the frame an I need to rework the X member

The problem is the center cection of the X member is too small for the Trans yoke and U joint they clear the upper plate but the bottom plate is a no go.

I guess the question is what to do?

Thanks Gary

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. 35PontiacCoupe

35PontiacCoupe
    from COS

I hate that feeling. I had the same thing happen with my X-member and it wasn't fun.

Depending on your willingness to spend cash, Chassis engineering sells a modified x-member for 35 chevy's. They say it's not for the amateur, but you might be able to give it a shot.

Another way, depending on your fabrication skills, would be to pull those top plates off, and form some new top and bottom plates out of 3/16 or 1/4 plate. They'd have to be rolled to get some more room, but it's doable.

3. 35PontiacCoupe

35PontiacCoupe
    from COS

BTW- good luck with those rivets. I hate them with a passion!

4. 35Chevy.com

35Chevy.com
    from New Jersey

The rivets are no problem I use a cutoff blade it takes about 30 seconds.

I was thinking of making the front of the X member into a K member removing the rear portion of the X member and putting a straight cross member in further back

Gary

5. 35PontiacCoupe

35PontiacCoupe
    from COS

I guess I left the body on so it was a lot more awkward to cut them out. I guess the k member idea would work too but probably more work.. My x member was a lirele different but I went with the adapted top and bottom pieces.. Good luck and let me know what you end up doing.. With pics

6. that doesn't look too tight to me , i think a little trimming and it may be fine. is the motor in the location where you want it? or do you need to go farther back? if it needs to go further back then you will need some major rework of the X. is the height of the tranny tail shaft where you want it?

stay with the X and forget about doing a K. that frame looks very strong and i would do much to change that

what's with that big ring on the u-joint? can you loose that?

7. 35Chevy.com

35Chevy.com
    from New Jersey

It is very tight the ujoint and drive shaft are hitting the bottom plate

Gary

8. then i suggest you get some channel formed out of metal the same thickness of the crossmember rails and open it up like this kit for 35-40 fords. i'm not familiar with the Chassis Engineering kit that 35pontiaccoupe suggested....you may want to look into that

Attached Files:

9. 35PontiacCoupe

35PontiacCoupe
    from COS

I'd say stay with the x member too. Is it only tight on the top and bottom? If so, it shouldn't be too bad. Not a major rework anyways..

10. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

Weld braces across from the frame in front and to the rear of the X . Chop it out of there in four places, then fab a replacement section to go back in.

11. valkokir

valkokir
    from DeKalb, IL

I'd agree on the pieces of channel. Leave the top plate intact if you can, remove the bottom plate and fabricate a new "cross-tie" for the bottom that has a drop in it and a trans mount. See "Frame" link in my signature for what I did, mine is nothing that special.

12. 35Chevy.com

35Chevy.com
    from New Jersey

Valkokir

Thanks for the link. Thats a great looking frame I wish I had your talent

Well I decided to leave the top plate and cut out the bottom.

I have some 1/4 incn steel plate that I will use to fabricate a new bottom and side plates to tie it back together

Gary

13. Pontiac35

Pontiac35
    from Wisconsin

35 Pontiac Coupe has it the way most guys do it, basically build a new bridge with the right amount of clearance.