Register now to get rid of these ads!

guys running Year of Make plates, you get hassled more by the man?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by countrysedanman, Apr 4, 2009.

1. So I got some 56 iowa plates, checked with the dot and the local sheriff, both said its legal to run those plates as long as I carry my real plates with the registration and ins. But they also both said be ready to be stopped more often. Is that true do you think? I really dont need someone buggin me about my wipers that dont wipe or my exhaust. Any thoughts?

Brad

2. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

In Texas you can register your car with the YOM plate # so there is no hassle.

3. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

Hmmmm, in California, YOM plates are registered to your car. They fall under the catagory of personalized plates. There are some I know, that have black plates made using their new DMV issued plate numbers, however, if they're caught, it's a fine and the plates is confiscated.

4. bonesy

bonesy

None, I've run them on 8-10 cars with no problems. As a matter of fact, I think they have gotten me out of a couple of red-light-camera pictures - maybe the guy operating the camera doesn't know what state to run the plate # against?

5. model-a-fan

model-a-fan
    from Kentucky

I run the MN plates CRAINIUM69 put on my '31 Tudor, in KY. I've found that as long as you don't act like an ass "the man" doesn't "F" with ya. That may just be here (in banjo country).;)

6. Why should there be more of a hassle? They are legal. I have never had a problem. The only reason I could think of is the "man" wants to look at your car 'cause he likes it!

7. HELLMET

HELLMET

i would like to run 47 cal plates on my 29 i know you have to run 29 yom i wonder if i go to a private dmv place they could use the 47s? my car had a og 47 plate on it . billy

Attached Files:

8. rat29

rat29
    from California

Have had yom's on a 56 VW Bus, got the cops asking if I was from Oregon (yellow plates) now I got 51 plates m my chevy truck no problems

9. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

Here in NY they have to be the exact YOM or you cant run em. I tried. As long as the tags match your set.

On a related note, i spoke with a sheriff yesterday and he said "whos gonna mess with ya? Your driving a hot rod its obvious that your on your way to a car show" Yeah......on my way to a show.....exactly;)

10. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Here in WA, you can register YOM plates, I have them on two of my cars. no hassle from the law

11. Grumpy

Grumpy
    from NE Ohio

No troubles in Ohio either. Me and alot of local guys run YOM plates. Its pretty common in our part of Ohio to see actually.

12. ragtop35

ragtop35

Here in Texas if you run YOM plates, it's a 5 year tag and you don't have to be inspected, which is required every year for most vehicles. I got stopped one night on the way home from a cruise by the DPS. (Same as CHP etc.) Had the YOM plate on the back, on the front I have a plate made to look like a standard Texas plate but says "LUV 2 CRUZ". In Texas you are required to run a front plate. He never said anything about the plates front or rear, but he sure was pissed that I didn't have an inspection sticker on the windshield. He worked pretty hard trying to figure out a way to give me a ticket for it but in the end, let me go, no ticket.

13. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

so far indiana has been no problem, i think they have alot of other shit to worry about.

14. synchro7

synchro7

Here in Colorado we can run YOM plates, but you need to carry the regular plates they issue in the car. Mine are still in the plastic bag they came in and stuffed under the seat of my A coupe.

15. T-Bone

T-Bone

I ran YOM plates on my car here in GA and got pulled over several times specifically because of them. When I told the cop the plates were legal to run, they double checked and I was let go. I finally put the issued plates back on...wasn't worth the hassle

16. DrJ

DrJ

I've never understood running YOM plates on anything other than a showroom stock original or restored stocker.
    Reason being, they usta issue new plates every year so a 15 year old Hot rodded Deuce would have the current '47 plates on it, NOT '32 plates!
    But since most states that allow YOM plates don't allow those "Year Hot rodded" plates to be used what's the point?
    You should be running plates from (one of) the year(s) the car is hot rodded in the style of, not YOM.

My 2 pennies.

17. poorboy

poorboy

can you get away with running just a rear plate in California?

18. Mule Farmer

Mule Farmer
    from Holland MI

No problem here I even have 1960 farm plates on my 1960 pickup.

19. zorch

zorch

Hey Hellmet & you other California guys--

When I lived in LA I ran a buncha vaguely legal choppers and cars--this was the 60s and nobody was going out of their way to explain any laws to us. Teaching the rules was via roadside ticket--you did what you wanted or thought you could get away with and got a ruler across the knuckles from the police later. Not a great system but it worked for us. Sorta. I could write a whole thread myself on LA cops and my opinion thereof.

Anyway, the bike guys in the 60s were using tricks learned by hot rodders in the 50s. We kept that flame alive and passed it on.

One of the major tricks was to use a small-town country DMV to register anything shady. And I'm here to tell you, it works. The country isn't as close to LA as it used to be, but you can't have paved over the whole state yet. We would go to a hick town like Apple Valley, Victorville, whatever, and get our plates.

I would suggest it. I guess the rules of the road are still being taught the same way in Calee forn eea--do what you think you can get away with and see how it plays at the side of the road.

20. J'st Wandering

J'st Wandering

I would guess that most states register the YOM plates as the the legal plate. When they run the plate numbers, it will come up with the car that the plate is on. In those states it should not be a problem. North Dakota registers the YOM plate.

In the states where the YOM plate isn't registered, I could see where you will get stopped more often. How does the cop know that the car is licensed without stopping you and asking to see the plate?

Neal

21. AV8Paul

AV8Paul
    Member Emeritus

Last year, when we traveling back from Bonneville, Jake Roberts from Long Island was stopped in PA on Rt 80. He had legit NY 1932 plates on his 3 window. The cop was a rookie or just not paying attention. After he reviewed the papers we were on our way again.

Meanwhile the rest of the Rolling Bones group was blasting across Rt 90 in Northern PA and NY State with two '32 roadster race cars that had to be driven due to two hard breaks on a couple of hot rods. No fenders, straight headers, no windshields and drag chutes on the back.....drove by about 15 troopers and no one got pulled over. One was running 1932 NY plates the other 1932 CT plates. Go figure.

22. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Ive had em on my 53 Chevy and 68 Dodge Charger for many years , never had an issue yet with the police about it..Michigan

23. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

I carry a sheet in my glove box that cites the law with the laws number and every word in the law as to why I dont need a front license plate,that blue dot taillight lenses AND YOM rules.

24. I'm surprised that T-Bone has had problems with running YOM in GA. Of course being in the Atlanta metro area may be different from being out here in a small town in rural Polk County. I've never been stopped. In GA, they issue a hobby/antique tag that you have to carry in the vehicle, but they also record your YOM plate and register it to the vehicle as well. I work with the Department of Family and Children Services, so most of the local cops know me, but I think another factor is that a lot of the cops around here are car guys. I drive sensibly, so nothing about my driving attracts their attention. My brother in law in Anniston AL has YOM tag on his '28 Model A street rod, and he's never been stopped even though he drives his a lot more miles than I drive mine.

25. Bigchuck

Bigchuck
    from Austin, TX

I guess I get your point, but who is gonna determine which period correct year of plates to allow? "Sir, it looks 50's style except for the wheels, see those wheels came out in 1963, so we cannot issue 1955 tags." That would be a tough row to hoe. Would take a commitee of Hambers and lots of popcorn.

26. Gizzy

Gizzy
    from N.W,Ohio

I run YOM plates on my 64' Belair here in Ohio & haven't had any problems.I do carry my historical plates in the trunk as advised by the local deputy's. Giz'

27. I see a lot you have to register the plates, here in iowa you dont, the court house didnt care what the number on the plates even was. I still have my issued plates, with the current registration sticker, and they have to be in the car. I would think the other states that actually register the plates makes more sense. I just think I would be drawing more attention to myself from the law to make sure I got current reg and ins. Thanks for the info. I may throw them on after the blizzard is over and see what happens. Will let you all know.

Brad

28. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

In NC, you can run YOM plates and carry the real plate in the vehicle. The YOM plates are not registered to the vehicle. I use them on m '63 pickup and my '53 chevy. I've had cops behind me a few times and not been pulled over, so no problems so far.

29. enjenjo

enjenjo
    from swanton oh

If you really want to screw with the man's head, get a personalized plate with the same number as the YOM plate.

30. Tony D.

Tony D.

You can register YOM plates in MO also. They fall under the "Antique Historic" tag category.

I run 1967 tags on my Coronet and my dad runs 1937 tags on his Plymouth and we've neither one had any problems with it.

Nice thing about MO also, is that you only have to register them once for around $27, no renewal, and no inspection...ever.