Register now to get rid of these ads!

Radiator options

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hvychvy, Apr 4, 2009.

1. hvychvy

hvychvy

Well I finished my new frame for my model a sedan,and now have a problem.I was using the ol 64-65 mustang radiator,which worked great.I fabbed up my new radiator mounts the other night,and the radiator sits up way too far.:( (my car is channeled 5'',and the frame is kicked up 3'' with a traditional spring over)I've seen a lot of channeled cars like this,but I don't care for it at all,and I can't lower the rad anymore for the lower hose will hit my front spring crossmember.I know I can get a chopped 32 rad,but I don't know if it would be that much of a help.I need to come down at least 3'' with the mustang rad.I've done some lookin around,and found a (dare I say)honda aluminum 3 core,that measures out pretty close.The main problem besides being a honda,are the 1 1/4 inlets and outlets.Have any of you used one of these,or know if it would work.....Waitin for my lashin,please be easy on me:D

2. The Honda rad is enough to cool a Honda motor.

Talk to a local rad shop, see it they can shorten the Mustang rad.

3. I am working with my radiator guy and building my own. My problem is different than yours but custom none the less. Cores come in many sizes, take it to a rad shop and have them use your tanks and put in a shorter core.

4. Glen

Glen

My setup is more extreme than yours so I dropped the radiator behind the spring crossmember and sat the height to the cowl. Then I extended the grill shell so I can still mount it in front of the axle

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 4, 2009

5. hvychvy

hvychvy

Damn,that looks nice.I didn't leave myself enough room to mount mine behind the axle.Mine used to be behind untill I ditched my suicide front.Looks killer ,nice bracketry:)

6. Leaky Pipes

Leaky Pipes

What king of grille shell are you running?

the Mustang Rad does not fit all the way up into the top of a Model A shell, causing you to lose that extra few inches. and the bottom of the Mustang rad doesnt sit down in the dip of the spring crossmember causing you to lose another inch -1/2 inch. add it all up and you have around 3 inches of extra height your grille shell will sit.

I had the same dilemma that you have and wound up having a custom rad made using a Model A top tank.

I really like Glens setup and almost went with it but was hitting the tie rod.

7. hvychvy

hvychvy

I 'm running a model a shell,but I split it in the center to bring it down more.I'm runnin a straight crossmember made out of sectioned 2x2,so I don't have the dip.I tried everything I could think of the other night,with no solution but to ditch that radiator.SUCKS:(

8. yeah, sucks having to do it the right way and not the cheap way!:p;)

9. Leaky Pipes

Leaky Pipes

Yep, the right way is the only way, but ya sometimes try the cheap way, especially when considering the cost of a custom rad.

Hey Glen do you have any pics of your rad with the shell mounted?
    I'm curious to see how it looks.

10. hvychvy

hvychvy

Ya I hear ya,I thought I had it all figured out:DThe honda rad would just about be a perfect fit.You don't think being an aluminum 3 core would make up the difference verses the mustang factory 2 core?Just wishfull thinkin:rolleyes:Its about 2'' narrower,and 3'' shorter :)Its the ''race version'':DHA HA

11. hey it MAY work, it is up to you if you want to try it!

BTW, what are the measurements? ;)

12. hvychvy

hvychvy

I just don't want to waste my money,but I guess I could resell it to a ricer:DI'm just on one hell of a time frame,and really don't have time for a custom job(or money)The rad is 160.00,and looks pretty good concidering what its really for.The measurements are ...16 3/4 tall,14 1/4 wide,and 2 1/2 thick.Item # 390026277776 on egay.The mustang is 16 1/2 square core.20 1/2 tall.

13. Leaky Pipes

Leaky Pipes

That ebay rad looks bigger than mine!
    As long as the core tubes arent too small a diameter, and you dont have your engine too hopped up, and arent cooling the trans fluid thru the bottom tank, I think its worth a shot (running an electric fan of course.)

But overall Tman has the best advice.

The inlet and outlet sizes on that Honda rad are 32 mm which is 1 1/4 inches. what kind of engine/water pump are you running? will the hose sizes match up?

Last edited: Apr 4, 2009
  14. hvychvy

hvychvy

The inlet and outlets are 1.25,so I'd hafe to do somethin there.Thought about just havin the 1.5,and 1.75 welded over,think that would work?

15. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

Might be more cost effective to sell the rad you have on eBay, maybe get a hundred and a half back to help with the pain of the new one.

16. Phil1934

Phil1934

In the back of the rad catalog are rubber adapter sleeves.

17. Koob

Koob
    from Bryan, TX

I need that Mustang radiator!

18. HotRod33

HotRod33

Put up a picture of your front end so we can see everything.... try the honda radiator... what size hoses does your engine need. you could go to a local parts store if you know someone and check out there hoses...look for some thing that would work or have the outlets changed on the honda radiator.....