Register now to get rid of these ads!

Pocono Drag Lodge--Found It!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by born2late, Mar 13, 2004.

1. wally bell

wally bell
    from VA.

2. Saw Red a few years back @ York Reunion he signed a PDL trophy I bought on eBay.

3. Pontiacnut1930

Pontiacnut1930

Sweet. My buddy and I went on a hunt quite a few years ago, what a rush to see in person. What a neat place, I continue to determine that I grew up in the wrong generation... My father ran a 1957 Chevrolet there in 1965.

Attached Files:

4. Eightydeuce

Eightydeuce

Keep these old pics comin! A reunion show there would be awesome, but I doubt that track could ever be opened again. Looking at the aerial photos there are houses within a couple hundred feet of the track and you know they'd be bitchin about all the noise and that would be the end of it.

5. 61scout80

61scout80

You can see how degraded the track is from the aerial views...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

For those that know where it is www.maps.live.com has a decent birds eye view of the strip.

6. A get together of Drag Lodge folks would be a great idea at GoodGuys Pocono Raceway. Count me in. It's only a few miles away maybe we could caravan over to the Drag Lodge?

7. nervous wreck

nervous wreck

So any news, I joined this message board just because of this thread, and am sitting on the edge of my seat waiting!! I still remember an Old gold dodge in my neighbors yard that I know was running down there. Time to dig thru the old photo's I guess...

8. There's at least one more thread on this subject on the HAMB. I think we should set up a meet and greet at GG event and cruise on over to the Drag Lodge. Anyone have an idea of a good meeting place at Pocono raceway?

9. the kidd 48

the kidd 48

it was 1st place i very drag raced of all the trophies i have won over the years the only one ive keep is the 1st one from pocono drag lodge run 68 mustang 1st in p/purestock then f/gas also a 57 and 59 ford stockers along with 2 uncles and a long with 4 others as a team. have wanted a reunion for years tryed glad to see now a real interest in one. redoing a 62 falcon gasser that ran against back than. still drag race mostly nostalgia. its hell getting old. the pics bring back great times. wish the track could be be back too. hope to see alot of you soon at a reunion. william bender aka thekidd

10. 283nova

283nova
    from spokane,wa

byt he looks of the pic its still kind of away from the populus hell they oughta reopen it!!!

11. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

I'd go to race there :)

anyone know this car ?? Was it out of south Jersey ?? [​IMG]
    ]

12. 61scout80

61scout80

local news had a blurb about the get together:

http://www.timesleader.com/news/Bear_Creek_Twp__to_buy_truck_01-07-2009.html

13. trainguy

trainguy
    from pa

In the late 1960s we raced the local drag strips,Vargo's,Numedia,Great Meadows,and believe it or not Pocono International.We ran one time at Pocono Drag lodge.I rembember the gassers and the uphill shut-down area.We were racing a 1930 Huppmobile/302 hilborn injected sbc,coupe.Ahh those were the days:):).Now the only racing I do is to the bathroom:mad::mad:.Memmories,Phil

14. There's been rumors for years about reopening the place. I doubt that will ever happen but Mr. Hulsizer sure is working hard at this on site reunion effort.

15. yellow wagon

yellow wagon
    from WI

wow, awesome read!

16. trainguy

trainguy
    from pa

Unbelieable.The 28 Huppmobile coupe[sbc,hilborn]was mine and I raced it once at PDL.I haven't seen it for 30years.And here it is on HAMB.Phil,Lehighton,Pa.

[​IMG]
    <O></O><O></O>
    [​IMG]
    <O></O><O></O>
    [​IMG]
    <O></O><O></O>
    [​IMG]
    <O></O><O></O>
    [​IMG]
    <O></O>[/quote]

17. pugs

pugs
    from Hamburg Pa

hey guys, this is one cool thread. being i was only born in '68 in Hazelton Pa, and always like the drag race seen, a reunion wouldbe cool. and since i started reading the post Iminthe process of getting ahold of relatinve fromthe area to see if they have ever been or knew of anyone that raced there. Imlooking to get up to the area to relatives soon so i will see what i can come up with over the month and keep ya updated. would really be cool to find a local racer that still has there car

18. gaspumpchas

gaspumpchas

Thanks for the support, guys, trying to make this a great meet!! Again, please email me to get on my mailing list....this could be huge!!!

Charlie Hulsizer
    organizer, Pocono drag lodge reunion
    e-mail- [email protected]

19. timmy25252

timmy25252

20. kookee

kookee

Timmy,

Just went to post the same info. I talked to the seller. It had to be the same one, sans motor. If I recall correctly, it even had the orange pexiglass. I wanted it, but the economy strikes again!

21. trainguy

trainguy
    from pa

The plexiglass was red ,it matched the red paint before we change to metal flake paint.Yes the car is in Bowmanstown,the owner called me to see if I was intersted in buying it back.It is vertully untoutched since it was sold in 1969.The engine and trans.were removed prior to selling it to him.Did it sell on ebay? if so do you rembember the price?Maybe I should have bought it buut it would have been difficult to get it road legal.It sure brings back memories. :):):)

22. I live within a mile of the track. Would be happy to help with the reunion.

[email protected]

Last edited: Jan 25, 2009
  23. New "friends of Pocono Drag Lodge social group on here. All are welcome, content needed, please join in, and post.

24. wally bell

wally bell
    from VA.

Thanks !!!!!!

25. bigolds

bigolds

This is a great thread.....!!!!! and I do agree with the statement about a barn find!!!!

26. Gassers on the line @ Pocono. Note chain link fence the only thing between me, a spectator, and the cars.

Attached Files:

27. the kidd 48

the kidd 48

trainguy i believe POCONO INTERNATIONAL i ran there have a class winner jacket for I/STOCK beat CARMEN ROTUNDA record holder at time.

28. the kidd 48

the kidd 48

looking at pics my 2 favorite cats there THE TIMBER MAN PONCHO and THE 289 fuel injection anglia. for thoose never to racre there you dont know what you missed may just be me but still best track there was.

29. pontiacfarmer

pontiacfarmer
    from sweden

hmmm
    look like I have to make a visit this fall when going up tp scranton......
    s

30. wally bell

wally bell
    from VA.

Sadly Chester Kilmer ( Timber man ) passed way recently.

8/15/09 at the old track will be great.......lots of friends, memories, etc.