Register now to get rid of these ads!

Another Triangulated Four Bar Geometry Question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ironhead68, Apr 4, 2009.

1. ironhead68

ironhead68

In order to use the existing bracketry for the lower bars (the ones parallel with the frame rails as viewed from above), the rear mounting point will only be 3-4" below the axle's vertical center line, with the bar level (i.e. parallel with the ground), Most of the kit set-ups provide mounting holes 5-7" below the axle's vertical center line. Will attaching thr bars so close to the axle's vertical center line create problems? Should we remake the front mounting brackets for these bars to effectively lower the bars away from the axle center line? Clear as mud, huh?

2. 201

Are you sure your not talking about the HORIZONTAL center line of the bars?

3. bibb86

bibb86

having the bars that run parallel with your frame rails closer to the bars up top will create more force because they do not have as much leverage. I have a program that can tell you exactly how much force but i cant find it if i can i will post it for every one. it is easy to use also you just plug in your number and it spits out what your suspension will act like.

4. bibb86

bibb86

ok found it here it is

Attached Files:

5. bibb86

bibb86

this will even go so far to tell you what size tube you need to use for your links. it is mostly designed for rock crawlers

6. ironhead68

ironhead68

Right you are sir! When I said "vertical", I should have said "horizontal". Duh!

7. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

No issue. I make the lower brackets with 3 sets of holes in order to adjust instant center. Most installs will never need that option. It doesn't come into play in daily driving.

[​IMG]

8. oj

oj

Thanks bibb, thats a decent little program

9. ironhead68

ironhead68

Yeah, thanks Bibb, I'll play with that program a bit. Not so concerned with durability, I think the parts are plenty beefy. Wondering more about a workable suspension.
    Thanks Scottybaccus for the nice pic. I better brush up on my "instant center" knowledge.