Register now to get rid of these ads!

odd ball engines!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by peanut, Jun 23, 2005.

1. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Dang! Ok, so how rare and exy are the OHV 421?

2. Pir8Darryl

Pir8Darryl

An 1100 cid Ford GAA V8 from a Sherman tank, or it could have originated from a marine application. Very cool old engines. They produced 1000 ft/lbs and 450 hp in stock form, used DOHC, 32 valves, semi-hemi head design, and multiple carburetion along with 2 distributors [6 wires each] driven off the head.

Unfortunately, they are worthless because there are absolutely no replacement parts available for them that I know of... Not even gaskets. The NOS supply dried up a few years ago.

With a 5.4 inch bore, all the regular piston makers wont touch it, and you'd be hard pressed to even find a machine shop that could facilitate servicing the motor on existing equipment..... Maybe a diesel shop [?]

When people find one, they think they have struck gold... Untill they find out they cant get parts.

3. matt 3083

matt 3083
    from Tucson, Az

How about the Chrysler Straight eights, 323.5?, or the Oldsmobile straight eights, these
    later were used in some LaSalle's ( I think). The Chrysler was used once or twice
    in a front engined dragster, sometime in the 60's. Neat engines.

4. paddo

paddo

the hemi 265 straight 6
    yep. iv got one in a valiant charger that was rolled and im going to pull it out soon. ill get some pics when i do. its going back in a valiant charger probably. one day haha

edit: sorry didnt realise how many pages were here!

Last edited: Apr 3, 2009
  5. ironhunter

ironhunter

Yep, and heavy Chevy trucks used 322 Nailheads...wonder why. Hmmm...I know! Because they couldn't build an engine with the torque required to lug around a loaded tandem truck! hehehe
    Any time I get an opening, I'm gonna jab! :D

6. octane

octane
    from Virginia

I'd hate to be the guy doing a tune up on that mother!

7. outlawsteel

outlawsteel

heres my pontiac straight eight now i just gotta figure out what to put it in lol thinking about an coupe or sedan

Attached Files:

8. UncleJoey

UncleJoey

I didn't think my set up was that "odd" at all until I tried to sell the car. Its a 250 in a 68 Chevelle and haven't had a bite on the car in over a year! Some folks like the usual SBC's a little too much I guess.

Attached Files:

9. rq375

rq375
    from Washington

10. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

11. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Cadillac 472. Not exotic, but different.

Attached Files:

12. granny

granny
    from WA state

Here's a 4 rotor Mazda rotary i built from two 2 rotor engines in my outlaw dirt late model from the mid-'90s...

[​IMG]

Here's a link to a page that discribes what had to be done to build the engine, and pics of the car i built for it to race in... http://members.tripod.com/~grannys/4rotor.html

Granny

13. Locomotive Breath

Locomotive Breath
    from Texas

The engine in the original question is a Ford GAA that belongs to a friend of mine. It came out of a Sherman Tank. GAA's were never used in marine applications. GAA's were a modified Ford aircraft engine design. The standard rating was 500hp and 1100 ft. lbs. with the factory governor settings. You did get the DOHC-32V part right, but they use a pent roof combustion chamber, not a semi-hemi. From the factory they use 2 magnetos driven off a combination gear-shaft drive system in the front cover, and they have 4 wires each (1 for each cylinder) not 6 wires each.

As for being worthless, I guess your right if being able to get parts at Pep-Boys is important to you. There are parts out there, you just have to know where to get them and how to make the ones you can't get. I do have to agree with you on one point though, they are a little more difficult to restore or modify than a SBC. Here are a couple of pictures and links to my GAA.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1E_OBPpEVs
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=159833&highlight=gaa

Attached Files:

14. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Killer video, it almost vibrated the monitor off my desk! But, dude, you should rethink those sweatpants...:eek:

15. Tim Cowan

Tim Cowan

I bought my "first new vehiecle" a 66 GMC, 305 V-6, the long stroke made it a good truck engine but it wasn't too quick. After 32,000 miles I traded for a new 69 Chevy pick-up with a 307 V-8. After the new wore off it, I replaced it with a 327, the best engine that GM ever made.

16. Locomotive Breath

Locomotive Breath
    from Texas

Hey now, those used to be my favorite crusty old sweatpants to work in. Sadly, I had to retire them not long ago, they are gone but not forgotten. :D

17. TrannyMan

TrannyMan

18. Silent_Orchestra

Silent_Orchestra
    BANNED
    from Omaha, NE

Hey Loco, so has the car made it's maiden voyage yet?

You should be one proud fella, your one of the few people who actually posted something that killed the HAMB for a while...Right up there with J.J.

19. ARAMP1

ARAMP1

Bringing this thread back from the dead...

I'm thinking about building this flathead Cadillac V-16. It'd be a lot of work and I don't have anything to put it in (yet), but it would definitely be bada$$.

The engine is all apart now. Here's a pic of the block.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

20. jeepman

jeepman
    from az

to find one of the duel v 6 six motors, check with irrigation engine repair shops. when worked as a farmhand in western kansas, i used to see them on irrigation pumps, lifting water from a 400 foot well. pretty unique setup.

21. THE_DUDE

THE_DUDE

They also put that mill in tanks in WW2. Cadilliac ran an add saying
    "

"No wonder the Japs are amazed"

22. 50stude p/u

50stude p/u

Now THAT is a good FNG ressurection post.:D
    Sweet motor!

[​IMG]
    as for the origional Q here is my studebaker motor. Its odd because its a stude and because its the smaller and less popular 259ci.

23. Sirweesarunch

Sirweesarunch

24. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

The picture of that tank motor poking up out of the hood of that Mustang is one of the coolest things I have ever seen.

25. Locomotive Breath

Locomotive Breath
    from Texas

Thanks John, maybe one of these days I'll get around to finishing it.

26. bigroy

bigroy

27. I have seen the GM V12s in tractor pulling. They work and sound great. Local frut company in the 70s here (Ontario Northland Fruit Company, trucking apples north beyond where they will grow properly) ran only them. The word on the street and in the shops was GM quit making them because they were too reliable. I doubt that but heard it about once a month from someone back in the day. Back then I did all the truck engines for the local Ford dealer where I worked. All were gasoline back then. In the few years i worked there we only had one diesel come into the shop (8V71 for a water pump.) 477 and 534 were the norm. Repaired about one per week along with my regular duties. Not all oddball engines are old. Here is one I am working in right now. And then there is my truck . Ist V10 ever ordered. My younger brother is installing a V10 into a 50 Blue Fargo 1 ton.
    something old, something new, something borrowed ,.something blue

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 19, 2010
  28. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

My altered with a 300 Ford six with a crossflow head. 147 mph in the quarter; just under 500 HP [​IMG]

Also, my vintage champ car replica w/ another 300 XFLO; Offy beater
    [​IMG]

kiwijeff likes this.
  29. 56oldsDarrin

56oldsDarrin

How about the rambler 287

Attached Files:

30. Dynaflash_8

Dynaflash_8
    from Auburn WA

Heres mine

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/smyHCN2DNC8&hl=en_US&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/smyHCN2DNC8&hl=en_US&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>