Register now to get rid of these ads!

Why would you block out your plate?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rat29, Apr 3, 2009.

1. rat29

rat29
    from California

Are you paranoid?

2. Chopperman

Chopperman

nope

Attached Files:

3. fish3495

fish3495

Why yes, yes I am.

4. Yes.

I had a car stolen that I put up for sale (not here). I sent the guy pics, the plate was visible. He went to DMV, it was out of the system, and he got title for it. He took the car when I was not here.
    I tried reporting it stolen afterwards and they treated it like a deal gone bad.

And why do you give a shit if someone blocks out their plate or not??

5. rat29

rat29
    from California

I'm glad 'cause I've aways wondered what you could do if you knew what plate someone was runnin'.

CHOPRMN=balls on the choppin' block

6. Well, if you were devious enough, I guess you could call it in as a drunk driver, or hit and run, etc..
    I guess you could do that to anyone on the road though..
    Some people like their privacy.

Now if those girls would take the black bars off their boobies..:rolleyes:

7. Chopperman

Chopperman

no diff than driving down the road i guess.

8. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

You need a VIN number to transfer title, not tag numbers and it isn't quite that easy. They have to inspect the car at the time of application, not just take someone's word for it. And if it is reported stolen when they go to do that, they will usually find themselves in jail explaining themselves. Read an article in the local news just the other day about what happened to a guy who went down to the local DMV near me and tried to register a stolen car - apparently left in handcuffs. Also another good reason to have any vehicle registered, even if it is just non-op. Non-op is only like $20/yr. or something like that.

here's the article: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/artic...BARU16IPLV.DTL&hw=richmond+dmv&sn=001&sc=1000

Honestly, I have never understood the blanking out tags either as they are obviously very visible all day long otherwise to anyone who wants to look at them where ever you might have a car/truck out in public. Not sure what additional risk there might be by posting a pic of it on the internet. But, I am pretty sure transferring title of someone's car is not likely one of them.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2009

9. Now that you say that, you are right. He must have come by and got the vin as well. you can run a plate and it may or may not come up on file.

The guy that did it worked for a DMV service.
    So he had it easy.

10. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Well, regardless, if someone did that to me, they would seriously need to make sure I was never able to find them afterwards, that's for damn sure. And registering the car in their name is probably not the most careful way to do that. Not saying you should go do something, just speaking for myself.

11. Oh, he is getting his. Just not by me.

I think the DA and DMV is so far inside him by now, he might as well shoot himself.

He is in deep shit.

I guess what goes around does come back with a vengeance..

12. ArtGeco

ArtGeco
    from Miami

Yeah but, what about your car???

13. Gone. He sold it since he had a title, and I did not.

So.. if you have a car that is off record, even if you have a title thats old, it might be off record, get a new title. That way that shit cannot happen.

I learned the hard way, I guess. I had no papers at all for that one.

14. My brother bought a 29 bone and had the pink, went to regester it a few years later and guess what someone had used the vin, since it was off the system they had no problem. Took a shit load of work to get that mess fixed, other guy almost went to jail over that. My 59 Plymouth I have had for the past 15yrs and in my name but on non op, got a letter from Utah dmv wanting to know and to verify my vin as they had someone trying to regester another 59 Plymouth with the same vin, turns out the p/o had another one and somehow he got the vin on both cars, mine had the factory tag so I won. I will always block out my plates, their is a bunch you can do with just a plate number!

15. Mr64

Mr64

I once had a note stuck on my front door from someone who had seen my SS 409 Convertible parked in front of my house and was interested in buying it. Funny thing was, I live in the city and I had never driven my 409 in the city, let alone had it parked outside in front of my house. They obvioulsy got my address from the plate somehow.

I'm a firm beliver of the fact that if someone wants your car bad enough, there's no alarm that will keep it from getting stolen. My best defense is not advertizing where I keep my cars, the location is so secret that it would put the Batcave to shame. All my cars are registed to my address in the city. Cars are securely (with webcams) locked away in an undisclosed location.

I go through the trouble of not only blacking out the plate but I also block out any landmarks or crop the car close enough that you can't tell what city, area, or street it's in. Yes I'm paranoid, but I still have all my cars.

16. It slows down people who have the abilty to find out where you live and thus maybe where you keep the car, through the plate number.

17. zzford

zzford

I blocked out my plate to get rid of the imperfections before the paint. Next comes color sanding and buffing.

18. Paranoia is a delusional belief that they are out to get you. If they are actually out to get you and you know it, that is not paranoia.

19. Bob K

Bob K
    Member Emeritus
    from Antigo Wi.

You would too if everybody was out to get YOU !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

B:eek:B

20. or just sign up to public data . com and get an account, you can look folks up all kinds of ways.

21. so, you never drive these to local car shows, outings, anybody gets near, do you confiscate their cameras and note pads and pencils too?

22. 73RR

73RR

OH BOY, I want to move to CA !

23. CrkInsp

CrkInsp
    from B.A. OK

Sence you have access to the net, all the information in the world is at your finger tips if you know where to look. Alot of it you have forgotten about, or don't want known. Think about it a minute before you blow it off as not possible.

24. Larry T

Larry T

Yea, how do you hide them when you have the car out in public?

Kinda like a buddy of mine that was REAL paranoid about his checking account number. You should have seen his face when I reminded him it was on the bottom of every check he wrote and handed out.
    Larry T

25. RacerRick

RacerRick

If you have a nice car you keep at home, blank your tags, because its very easy to find out where a car is registered to! You might come home one day and the car is gone!

I have seen it happen - three cars from a small local show. All stolen right out of the garage.

26. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

one reason ive done it..is when having a car advertised with pictures for sale,on line (anyone can from anywhere can see it) and dont need to tip my hand on where its located until i have a date and time set up for someone to come look at it..especially when im there if you get my meaning.
    that way too if i think the person is fishy or coming back to borrow it indefinetly at a later date..ive got a description of them, and their vehicle description and their plate number..its kinda..CYA

27. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

if I post a picture of someone elses car here I change the license number on it if the plate is a big part of the photo. I run my pics through photoshop anyways, so it takes about 10 seconds.

28. jasonp

jasonp
    from Aurora,IL

<--------- could try running this one, i don't think you'd get anywhere:cool:

29. hotrodjeep

hotrodjeep
    from Tama, Iowa

Do you guys wear foil hats too???>>>>>>>So they can't read you thoughts.

I guess I'm too naive to be paranoid, Ignorance is Bliss.

30. Being in the insurance industry, you would be amazed the type of info you can get simply from a license plate!!! You can get name, adress, SSN, birthday, almost anything you want. Scary Shit.